? before Buying

General Discussion
IkeKey

? before Buying

Post by IkeKey » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Hey everybody,
New to this Forum, and have doing research before buying. This forum has been very helpful. I think I will Purchase a 997c si and can't decide whether to get the nvb or buy seprate.
It is my understanding that charting offered is from 2006. And I have seen the lake list's for 08 version and noticed that there are a couple of lakes that I fish that are either new or in HD. I fish mostly N.Wis and Minn. so having the whole Inland U.S. is no big deal. But it would be nice to have. Is there a upgrade to 08 planned soon?
Thank you in advance,
IkeKey

SkeeterB

Post by SkeeterB » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:26 pm

Don't know about the upgrade, but I would personally save the money and buy a chip. I have the high dollar Platinum chip and I wouldn't recommend it either. It's just not worth the money to me. I think a good Navionics Premium HD chip is all you need. Just my 2 cents.

Britt

George

Post by George » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:39 pm

I agree with Skeeter, unless someone wakes up Navionics I would not expect them update the NVB programs anytime soon. Purchasing the Platinum edition (I think) depends on your curiosity and if you have the extra cash. If you do not purchase the Platinum chip will you always be wondering on what you are missing????? Personally I think we the customers need to put pressure on Navionics to treat us as a valuable asset. Right now they (in my opinion) are arrogant, because they have the exclusive on HB's SI units.

Please do not get me wrong I love my 1197c NVB unit and would buy it again. I am not satisfied with the way Navionics treats their customers.

No matter what you chose to purchase you can't go wrong, you will have a great experience when you run around and really see under the water.

First go out and get a 4 GB Sandisk Extreme III SDHC card to record your time on the lake. When you get it, you should start out at 2 to 4 mph, record the your day and just cruise the lake for a few hours. Then during the week review the tape their will be a lot that you missed. The more I review my recording the more I see. I use YellowFin to review my recordings, review at high speed then go back to specific areas and watch it at slow speed.

I hope this helps, enjoy your new toy.

George

mr'fish

Post by mr'fish » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:53 pm

i would just get the premium 09 north chip i just got mine i mainley fish southren wi.check navionics web site for a list of lakes on the 09 premium card you will get 6 states nd-sd-mn-wi-ia-&upper&lower mi.

IkeKey

Post by IkeKey » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:42 pm

Thanks for the input, have to decide where online to buy. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
George, what is yellowfin?, and where do i find it? Hope to purchase and install everything by Ice out [2-3 weeks] and again i really appreciate the help now and in the future.
IkeKey

George

Post by George » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Ikekey

Here is the site for yellowfin, also you will need the HBSI converter which is:

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?topic=53.0

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?board=46.0

There is a lot of info on this site, if you go thru it, it will discuss the softwares in some detail.

George

FishingBen

Post by FishingBen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:10 am

I'd just get the premium chip. It supercedes everything else and i don't plan on traveling to california or maine or cuba so what to I need a world map for? as for where to buy. I see em on ebay cheap and J and H Products seems to be a little less than most.
Allison XB-21 in Tennessee

IkeKey

Post by IkeKey » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks for all the advice, new 997c si arrived today and decided not to get wo/nvb. Already purchased 08 Nav. premium on sale. Looking to install next week on 2002 17' Lund Angler tiller.
Any one with experience or advice on install on this type of boat? This forum has been great for info. on purchase, and I'm sure thankfull for all the advice.

IkeKey