With Lowrance's Downscan looking better than HB - Next move?

General Discussion
ITGEEK

With Lowrance's Downscan looking better than HB - Next move?

Post by ITGEEK » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:37 am

I've seen a few pictures on the web of Lowrance's Downscan, and to me (a Humminbird owner), the images look much better than HB's DownImaging. Although, I haven't yet used DownImaging on the water since my newest software update. I also haven't seen a Lowrance on the water in real life situations either. I really don't get out fishing much, so mostly I'm comparing what I've seen on the Web.

Since Lowrance's attempt is really the 2nd generation of Side/Down Imaging, I was wondering what Humminbird may be cooking up.

I would suggest that Humminbird create new ultra high resolution transducers, so that current HB owners don't have to buy a complete new unit to get better performance. This would still move their product forward with improvements and sales, and allow their users to upgrade without spending a ton of money. The software updates should take care of the rest of any tweaking that needs to be done.

The images look pretty good now, but could really look spectacular with some work.
Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

Steven H

Post by Steven H » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:50 pm

Check out a few of my recents

ChrisM

My 2 cents

Post by ChrisM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Remember Lowrance is a HD screen, Humminbird is not. My 2 cents Ill take the hummindbird over the HD Lowrance any day. Especially since they have replaced 2 of my transducers of 3 of my units on my boat. That alone has me sold. Eventually Humminbird will have the version with HD im sure. For right now, Lowrance can have their garbage :)
Chris

1197 and 797 on front with a 997 on console with the evil lowrance 522c in dash
07 Triton TR186 w/150 Optimax

kosmo

Re: My 2 cents

Post by kosmo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:55 pm

ChrisM wrote:Remember Lowrance is a HD screen, Humminbird is not. My 2 cents Ill take the hummindbird over the HD Lowrance any day. Especially since they have replaced 2 of my transducers of 3 of my units on my boat. That alone has me sold. Eventually Humminbird will have the version with HD im sure. For right now, Lowrance can have their garbage :)
what is high deff.please explain..........................................

ChrisM

Post by ChrisM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:20 pm

As I understood it or so it was told to me (Greg chime in at any time), the pixel count in the screen was higher than the humminbird which gives it a more crisp image. I dont see much of a different myself. I was told its kind of a like a LCD screen television to a plasma type of comparison.
Chris

1197 and 797 on front with a 997 on console with the evil lowrance 522c in dash
07 Triton TR186 w/150 Optimax

StrikeBack

Post by StrikeBack » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:25 am

I think you will find the pixel count is the same. L made a big marketing push using the term High Definition as if it had some edge in this regard over every other brand but it does not have a higher count than HB.

In regard to the question of L having crisper DS than HB's DI, you have to be very careful when comparing. You will notice that most of the L snapshots which look crisp are done with the screen zoomed out and so the images look crisp. If you check the HB DI on this thread the screens are zoomed in and so look lest crisp. There are many HB DI images which look every bit as good as L DS.

Higher resolution is available with higher frequency transducers but the trade off is range. Higher frequencies do not travel as far and are attenuated more easily. Having said that an 1.1 or 1.8 mhz beam would be good
Last edited by StrikeBack on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

StrikeBack Tackle
Humminbird Dealer
www.strikebacktackle.com.au

LWinchester

Apples and Oranges

Post by LWinchester » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:00 am

First, I don't currently own either Lowrance or Hbird side/down imaging. From following info and posts on a number of boards I do believe that Lowrance has a very slight edge in the crispness of the picture for downscan only, not side. Hbird had consistently been very competitive in quality, performance and price, so I do anticipate something new from Hbird. I wish they would announce it.

As far as the pixel count goes, HD and all that I don't see any difference. Even when the technical specs are different, you still have to be careful in how much you make out of it. The 2D sonar is a good example. On their regular units L advertises 20 degree cone angle at -3db and 60 degree fish detection. Hbird says 20 degree at -10 db. From a technical perspective it appears that the Lowrance transducer would out perform the Hbird. I have not found that to be true on the water. In fact, just the opposite. This summer I plan to do some objective, replicable on the water measurements of cone angles just to satisfy myself as to the performance compared to the specs and marketing.

Someone may do this with down/side imaging. If they do with both brands having a loyal following I'm sure it will be controversial. I won't spend any more with Lowrance because of customer service and quality concerns. I have a Camry and Tundra. May not buy Toyota again either. Everybody understands that but some don't get it if you apply the same logic to Lowrance.

Singleshot

Post by Singleshot » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:15 pm

If Im not mistaken the HB units are 256 colors 8bit and Lowrance uses 16 or 32 bit. Makes for a pretty screen.

JK

StrikeBack

Post by StrikeBack » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Singleshot, Which of the Lowrance units has 32 bit?

The 997 and 1197 are listed as having 65,000 colour TFT. I am not a screen expert so what does this mean in comparison with what Lowrance lists as 16 Bit colour. Are these different ways of describing the same thing or is there some qualitative difference between the screens?
John

StrikeBack Tackle
Humminbird Dealer

bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:37 am

Color depth ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_depth ) :

8 bit = 256 colors
16 bit = 65,000+ colors
32 bit = 4 million+ colors

Greater color depth gives smoother color gradations and may give the -appearance- of a higher resolution (lines can be anti-aliased thus looking smoother).

StrikeBack

Post by StrikeBack » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:42 am

Ok so both L and HB are both 16 bit
John

StrikeBack Tackle
Humminbird Dealer

Singleshot

Post by Singleshot » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:18 am

Thanks Big, I'm slow getting back.

JK :wink: