Post by Doug Vahrenberg » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:56 am

Here's some images of the new 500 Series DI Units:

596 HD DI (640 x 640 Pixel 5" Screen) Color

570 DI Monochrome

570 DI Monochrome Portable

New Official Press Release:

Humminbird® Offers Traditional 2D and
Down Imaging™ Sonar in One Package

EUFAULA, Ala. (October 2010) – Humminbird® is expanding sonar and price options for anglers by offering fishfinder models with both Down Imaging™ and traditional 2D Sonar technologies.

“We are the first manufacturer to offer the combination of dedicated Down Imaging and 2D Sonar in one model,” Humminbird Brand Manager Dale Logue said. “This allows us to present consumers an even greater opportunity to choose the specific sonar technologies they want at a price that best fits their budget.”

There are a total of five new Down Imaging/2D Sonar models including those with or without GPS capabilities, color or monochrome screen and one portable model. All models include best-in-class resolution with 640 vertical pixel screens boasting a true, unparalleled 5-inch 640V x 640H screen.

Humminbird’s revolutionary Down Imaging Sonar focuses directly beneath the angler’s boat to provide detailed, picture-like images of structure and the water column. All models also include traditional 2D Sonar capabilities with exclusive SwitchFire™ technology. “Having the ability to show detailed activity around the boat when stationary is important to anglers,” said Logue, “All Down Imaging products work best when moving, so including traditional 2D Sonar is mandatory to accommodate the different fishing situations anglers often experience.”

Here are brief descriptions of the five new Down Imaging/2D Sonar models from Humminbird:
• 788ci HD DI Combo includes GPS chartplotting capabilities with internal antennae, 5-inch color display, Ethernet capable, dual SD card slots and upgradeable software
• 597ci HD DI Combo includes GPS chartplotting capabilities with internal antennae, 5-inch color display and single SD card slot
• 596c HD DI includes 5-inch color display without GPS capabilities
• 570 DI includes 5-inch monochrome display without GPS capabilities
• 570 DI Portable includes 5-inch monochrome display without GPS capabilities, rugged carry case, suction cup transducer, 7Ah battery and charger

All models will ship with a newly designed high-speed transducer. Speeds over 50 mph and depths greater than 250 feet have been verified with the new transducer. Different variations or attachments for the transducer will allow mounting in-hull, thru-hull, on the transom, or attached to a trolling motor. The transom mount variation will ship with all Down Imaging products except the 570 DI Portable.

The price range for the new Humminbird Down Imaging/2D Sonar models is $299.99 to $799.99. The new models will be available to consumers in January of 2011.

For more information visit humminbird.com, contact Humminbird, 678 Humminbird Lane, Eufaula, AL 36027, or call 800-633-1468.

Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc. consists of the Humminbird, Geonav, Minn Kota and Cannon brands. Humminbird® is a leading innovator and manufacturer of fishfinders, fishfinder/GPS combo units, chartplotters and digital depth gauges. Geonav® develops and manufactures state-of-the-art integrated navigation systems and autopilots for blue-water fishing and cruising yachts. Minn Kota® is the world’s leading manufacturer of electric trolling motors, as well as offers a complete line of shallow water anchors, battery chargers, trim tabs and marine accessories. Cannon® is the leader in controlled-depth fishing and includes a full line of downrigger products and accessories.
Learn more about Side Imaging: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sideimaging

LWinchester

Impressed with Humminbird!!!

Post by LWinchester » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:33 pm

I am very impressed with these offerings and in particular with the transducer for these units. This is a hardware solution I like. Now the next logical question is can this transducer, through some kind of Y-cable be connected to the current sideimaging units. I'm speculating but my bet would be that this type of downimaging would be slightly superior to the previous software solution by Hbird. Do that and put a 2 year warranty and I'm ready to jump into Humminbird side/down imaging.

On many of the boards there is an announcement about these units that is misleading. It implies that the 2D is single frequency 200 Khz. The pictures above clearly depict dual beam which is 200/83. For example here is a paste from one of those posts:

597ci HD DI Combo
See more of what's down there for less. Select Humminbird 500 Series models now offer best-in-class, HD screen resolution along with picture-like Down Imaging Sonar.
Timber, rocks, even fish - watch it all take shape on crystal-clear,full-color 4.5" or 5" monochrome displays. With screens that size,it's easy to take advantage of versatile DualBeam PLUS Sonar and exclusive Humminbird SwitchFire technology. We're talking a beam sensitive enough to track a jig down to 70 feet and separate fish as close as 2.5" apart. Find your way using built-in UniMap or up theante with optional Lakemaster and Navionics cartography. Get allthis technology in a convenient in-dash mount, or use our Tilt & Swivel Disconnect Mounting System. With the 500 Series, big things are bound to happen!

5" Display
640V x 640H, 256 Color
Down Imaging
455kHz / 86 degrees @ -10db
800kHz / 55 degrees @ -10db
Single Beam w/ SwitchFire <-----------
200kHz / 20 degrees @ -10db <---------
Depth: 250ft (DI), 1000 ft
4000 W (PTP), 500 W (RMS)
50 Channel GPS
Humminbird UniMap
Single SD Card Slot

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:39 pm

I’ve seen the same question asked on other web sites as well but I do not know what the answer is at this time. I have not seen official specs for these units yet (other than this press release), nor have I seen the operations manual or an actual unit. Without these I do not know if the labeling used on these units are wrong or which part of the press release specs may be wrong.

Speculation on my part - it could be that none of them are wrong. Looking at the current units that these replace (non “HD” models); I see that the 570, 596, 597 units only use sonar data from the 83kHz beam for the Fish ID feature and therefore could be classified as a single beam/frequency unit as it pertains to the SwitchFire feature (this would not affect how we display the Fish ID Symbols) although they produce both the 200kHz and 83kHz sonar beams which would get listed under the sonar specs. We do this now except that the 500 series units do not have the SwitchFIre menu option in them. They also have the DualBeam badge on the front housing (except the GPS Combo units which I am guessing is due to not having enough room to do so).
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:44 am

Okay guys, from what I learned yesterday:
The new units that have "Di" in their name have 455/800kHz Di sonar from a single beam (new transducer) but only have the 200kHz 2D sonar (having the 83kHz 2D sonar would be pointless as you already have very wide coverage side-to-side with the Di sonar).

Be aware that there are non-Di versions of some of these same units: Example: 788ci HD Di Combo and 788ci HD Combo (non-Di unit). The Di sonar cannot be simply added to non-Di units as it entails more than just the right transducer and software. There has to be internal circuitry to support the Di sonar function.

The "HD" in some of the unit names does denote High Definition as in the display has a higher pixel count compared to other unit displays (not some HD standard for televisions). The afore mentioned 788ci HD Combo is the same unit as the 2010 model 788ci Combo. We are just recognizing the fact that we are using a higher definition display in these products than other models and brands are using in their products. We should have done this from the start but for whatever reason didn't.
I help because I can

WhompusFinder

Post by WhompusFinder » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:59 am

Greg, would it be impossible or unlikely that HB can swap out screens on a 798 for the higher resolution screens when they come out? This may be a stupid question
Are you wishin you were fishin? Not me......

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:52 am

Whompus,
The display for the 798ci HD Si is the same as was used in all of the other 798 version units. The only difference is that we are now using the “HD” designation to show that we are using a higher pixel count display in this unit versus other units we and other companies make. We should have started using the “HD” designation when we first started using the 640 X 640 LCD but we didn’t.

If there were a new display than it may not be possible to just switch out to the new display as there may be differences in the connectors, backlighting, display drivers (if not already on the display) and voltage requirements that each use.
I help because I can

Boknaflu

Post by Boknaflu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:06 pm

Hello !!

I am new here and have some questions

Why is it the same image and different depth at the beginning of this Post :wink:

I purchased a Lowrance Elite-5 dsi. And I am far from satisfied . Ok pictures down to 100 ft. Deeper than 100 ft is weak photos. I use it in salt water-.
And the Elite-5 dsi drawing waves on the bottom , when there are waves on the surface . The Elite.5 dsi have a transom mount transducer , so I can not mount it in the center of the boat. where conditions are best.
Going to cancel the purchase of Elite -5 dsi

How does the new 597ci HD DI write the photo under 100 ft, and how it reacts to waves

SilmarilS

Post by SilmarilS » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:36 am

All sonars will be influenced by waves... Since it changes the height of the water column you try to scan.
And I don't think that DI sonar will be at it's best below 100 ft of salt water.

Even conventional 2D sonar is influenced by waves. The only way to cancel waves is using a TowFish.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Those images were made for marketing so I would not pay that much attention to the water depth shown.
I help because I can

samboney

597ci HD DI

Post by samboney » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:23 pm

I've been fascinated by the SI & DI technology ever since watching a friend's 1197 SI at work two years ago. Bought a boat last fall and as spring arrives, I HAVE to put some of this technology to work for me. I've got a tight budget that I have to stick with - and I do so gladly. The Lowrance Elite5 DSI is their equivalent. What I've read about Lowrance's service is discouraging. Plus the 33% increase in resolution in the 597 is more than impressive. But the 597 seems to be having difficulty getting to market. At least in sufficient quantities to avoid daily out of stock or back order status on just about every web site.

Here's my question - is there a manufacturing / sales from stock difficulty that I should be concerned about. I'm not trying to cause questions about anyone - but a $649 purchase is a significant cash purchase in my household. I am really impressed with the 597 - much more than the Lowrance offering. I just need to be purposeful with the purchase.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:36 pm

We can’t seem to make these new DI units fast enough right now, if that is what you are meaning? The problem may actually be that none of the stores projected sales on these to be this good and so now have all reordered, causing the shortages in their stores and warehouses.
I help because I can

samboney

Post by samboney » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks Greg.
I'm a scuba diver in Michigan that does some recreational fishing. So for spotting wrecks on the bottom the higher resolution is just as important as the GPS numbers. And the 640x640 got my attention. Seeing where to put the anchor is really important on the big lake.

So from what you said, I've got a bunch of phone calls to make to find one in stock.

State of Michigan - 70 feet to the sand. Just one of dozens :lol:

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12 am

For wreck hunting you may want to look at the 798ci HD Si unit as it can cover a larger area of the bottom and it also has that same 640 X 640 LCD in it as does the 597 but costs more. Maybe save for a little while longer and spring for the 798ci HD Si unit?
I help because I can

samboney

Post by samboney » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:00 pm

The side scan is what really geeked me for this technology to begin with. But the additional $300 moves it out of my range right now. I normally have pretty good GPS numbers for the wrecks. Many of the wrecks are not bouyed, so its neccessary to anchor as close to on the wreck as you can get. Otherwise you have to start hook dragging the bottom until you find it - that can waste an awful lot of time and really isn't good for the bottom or the wreck.

I don't think the 597 will be the ticket to go wreck hunting - lots of reasons - Bottom coverage as you mentioned and also screen size. I think when I go to hunting for wrecks, I'll find a way to make the jump to the bigger 998 or maybe even the 1198. But then I would have a different boat.