Map HACK -- Custom Charts and Lake mapping FREEWARE

General Discussion
timhutson1

trouble getting map to work

Post by timhutson1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:07 pm

I just got a new humminbird 788ci HD DI after reading a thread that talked about creating your own maps. I have recently spent many hours mapping the lake I am going to in google earth according to directions in the thread. I have tried to follow the instructions perfectly but when I go to pull up my file on my unit it is not there. I have it converted and saved in the matrix folder. What could be going wrong? I have spent hours trying to find guidance in the forums to no avail. I have the original file from google maps and a shortened version since the original is over 20K points that I could send it to anyone if it would help. Please help, I leave on my trip to Canada in a few days and I am beyond frustrated at this point.
-Tim

Wayne P.

Map

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Did you check your unit waypoint library to see if the files downloaded?

Did you go into the unit menu and edit the tracks so you can see them displayed?
Example: all saved tracks are default dotted lines. You have to change the line style and color to your choice and make sure the (EYE) symbol is not crossed out which indicates they are Hidden. SAVE when you are finished each one.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

timhutson1

Not downloaded??

Post by timhutson1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:38 pm

So I did have the settings so that the lines would be displayed. When I check the waypoints, routes, and tracks menu my map is not there. I suspose the problem is in the unit downloading the file then? Do I need to do something to get it to download/recognize the file. I have updated the firmware and have the file as a 000.ht file in the "matrix" folder on the card.
-Tim

Wayne P.

Forgot to add

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:46 pm

To get the files you created on the SD card, open HumminbirdPC and load the files to HumminbirdPC.
PC will convert the Google KML files to GPX.
Then copy the files to the SD card from PC which creates the Matrix folder that the unit will read and load the data to the unit memory. The file types change with all that translation so the unit can use it.

I have only done that process one time to create an outline of a body of water that has no mapping of any type and it worked great.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

whistler

Having trouble...

Post by whistler » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:54 pm

I'm having trouble getting this app to work for me. I'm guessing I'm doing something incorrectly.

I've got my lake outline in HBTrackMapper and I have a track in the map. This track came from a Humviewer recording that I exported to kml. When I run the interpolate there is nothing but a black screen. Does a sonar recording created with my HB unit contain sufficient info for the app to work, or do I have to save tracks with the HB unit in order to get it to work with the app?
Last edited by whistler on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

timhutson1

Tried that

Post by timhutson1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:15 pm

So I did upload the kml file into humminbird PC and then transfered it back to the SD card. I replaced all the files at the time. When i put the chip in my unit still nothing is showing up on my waypoints, tracks screen except saved points that were done directly on the unit. The file is still not being recognized, not sure what I am doing wrong. I do appreciate all your help, keep it coming if you can think of anything more.
-Tim

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:59 am

Timhutson1 I live in Africa and make my own maps and this is how i do them.

I do it in 2 sections "tracks" and "waypoints"
Tracks
Draw paths in google earth many paths. It does not matter how many paths. They are then on the list to the left of the map. You then need to save them to a folder as a .KML NOT as a KMZ.

If i need some waypoints I create them on Google earth but only i save them to a different folder and then use GPSBabel ( http://www.gpsbabel.org/download.html ) to convert the kml to a gpx file.

I then open JJ's software and add the track files, give it a name like Clanwilliam Dam and convert to the 000.HT file. Then load it into your SD card /MATRIX/000.ht Insert the card into your unit and switch on. It will then ask you to download software say yes. after edit the track "Clanwilliam Dam" to show the lines and there you have the outline and/or contours you made on google.

To get the waypoints you need to convert them to GPX using GPSBaabel and then import into Humminbird PC and then export them to your SD card But first clear the card to prevent any possible mixups.
Try that

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:03 am

Another thing, try making a test track and put that on your unit first and get familiar with it and then try a larger track!!

timhutson1

hmmm

Post by timhutson1 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:11 am

I believe I have tried all of that exactly as you have layed out except the only part that does not happen is that it does not ask if I want to download new software. I was able to update the firmware once from humminbirdPC so I don't think it can be my card. I have tried with smaller files too and it doesn't go differently.

So after I updated the firmware I used the matrix file it created and just replaced the 000.ht with the one I made. Was there something else I need to do at this step?
-Tim

whistler

Re: Having trouble...

Post by whistler » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:43 pm

whistler wrote:I'm having trouble getting this app to work for me. I'm guessing I'm doing something incorrectly.

I've got my lake outline in HBTrackMapper and I have a track in the map. This track came from a Humviewer recording that I exported to kml. When I run the interpolate there is nothing but a black screen. Does a sonar recording created with my HB unit contain sufficient info for the app to work, or do I have to also save tracks separate from the recording with the HB unit in order to get it to work with the app?
BUMP. I've got lots of tracks in the app but interpolate produces a black screen and ISO Map produces nothing but a white screen. No errors but no contours. Any ideas?

l889

Post by l889 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:01 am

Hey guys, I've been on vacation, so now I'm back and the support is going on ;-)

Anybody who experienced problems: please send me an e-mail and attach the tracks you like to map:
echotoolbox [AT] lnx-ware [DOT] de

JJ

l889

Post by l889 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:38 pm

I changed the topic of the thread. Because there is no "homepage" for the app, visitors should know what's up here ;-)
I hope it's now much more meaningful ;-)

In winter there will be a lot of exciting new updates. I hope I can also integrate all issues / features which are discussed here.

Anybody who experienced problems with "black screens" after mapping, please contact me. There is a simple solution.

John

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:48 am

Yay Johns back!!
I hope you can work on loading a picture so i dont have to make thousands of tracks!!?

Did you have a good holiday?

l889

Post by l889 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi Darkhorse!

I'll try this in the winter season ;-) But first I'd like to fix some other issues.

John

l889

Post by l889 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Next week, there will be a new minor release:

-> Fixed "Black-Screen after mapping problem"

-> Correct detection of shoreline

-> Resolution of maps with more than 20000 points possible (reduction is now optional)... Hey! That's a really great improvement, isn't it?

-> Removal of invalid 0m readings in gpx logs which lead to errors....

Thank to all users, who sent me GPX recordings and reported problems! Thank you for supporting my app!

Stay tuned. The release will be provided here in this thread.

Another change: Because all functionality of HTTrackBuilder is now integrated in HBTrackMapper, I'll stop HTTrackBuilder. You are able to add KML or GPX tracks (drawn in Google Earth for example) in a HBTrackMapper project and enter a specific depth for any track in a dialog... So there is no reason to provide HTTrackMapper longer.... ;-) So if you like the simple HTTrackBuilder: Save it now, next week it will be deleted.

Best regards,
John