SENSITIVITY AND GPS

General Discussion
laker1

SENSITIVITY AND GPS

Post by laker1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:24 pm

[color=blue]IF I MIGHT, I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS:

1) DOES MY SENSITIVITY CONTROL ACT AS A FILTER REDUCING/INCREASING WHAT WE SEE ONSCREEN OR IS IT DOES IT ACTUALLY REDUCE/INCREASE THE SIGNAL STRENGTH,(NOISE) SENT UNDER WATER?

(I AM CONCERNED ABOUT TURNING OFF FISH WITH TOO MUCH NOISE.)

2) CAN I RUN MY 1197 GPS WITHOUT ACTIONING MY GPS FOUND IN THE SAME UNIT.

(I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I CAN TROLL SAFELY AROUND CERTAIN SHOALS WITHOUT USING MY SONAR. SOME OF MY FISH APPEAR TO BE EASILY SPOOKED!)

THANKS IN ADVANCE

YOUR ADVICE WILL ASSIST ME WHEN I PLAN OUT NEXT YEAR'S TROLLING RUNS.

JIM[/
color]

jejb

Post by jejb » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:29 am

Not sure on #1, but I doubt it has anything to do with the strength of the signal being sent by the transducer.

For #2, do you have the latest updates on your unit? On my 997, one of the most recent updates gave me a 3rd menu selection when hitting the power button while the unit is on. The added option was to turn the sonar off, leaving only the GPS and it's associated screens working.
John B
08 Skeeter SL210, F225 Yamaha four stroke, 798CI SI NVB, 997C SI
(formerly owned an 1197C SI NVB Combo)

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:33 am

Jim,
I wouldn’t call it a filter but the Sensitivity menu does not turn up and down the power of the unit. Basically you are telling the unit to show more or less stuff on the display. It allows you to display a sonar return with a weaker or stronger sonar color. Remember that on a color sonar unit that each color represents a certain sonar return signal strength; when you turn up or down the Sensitivity menu you are changing the color assigned to each sonar return signal strength. Did that make sense?

Like John said: you can turn off the sonar without turning off the GPS. Either by using the third menu when you press the power button (latest software) or in the Sonar menu found under the Setup menu tab in the main menu system.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

laker1

Post by laker1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:36 am

Thank you Greg and thank you also jejb,

I just wanted to clarify my understanding on how my unit operated. I also want to maximize my opportunity of catching fish.

With respect to updates my strategy currently is to go to the local boat show or retailer to ask either to download any and all updates. This works for me as I am not sure how to do it on my own as a practicing Luddite and sometimes time is an issue. The process would have to be really user friendly if I was going to attempt it. Hopefully it is shown on youtube.

Thanks again

jim

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:01 am

Jim,
I can certainly understand your uneasiness with updating the software in your unit. I have been resisting the purchase and use of a ‘smartphone’. As a matter of fact we have an FAQ on the Humminbird web site on how to update the software along with a youTube video:

http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1737

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rqhm-DyoBc

You only have to load the most recent software update as it will also load all of the previous software changes as well.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can