HB 999 Problem....SD cards keep popping out

General Discussion
cactusflyr

HB 999 Problem....SD cards keep popping out

Post by cactusflyr » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:17 am

Running a new 999 and immediately had a small problem from day 1. Run a lakemaster sd card and a second blank one for pics. The removable cover has box on the underside that goes over and around the cards I assume to keep them dry. This box is not wide enough and I have difficulty getting the cover on around both cards without them coming in contact with the sides of the box and popping them out. Sometimes I get the cover on and when I hit a big bump, they pop out., so they are obviously in contact with the sides of this box.

Was going to live with it but it is a real pita when you save a point and it doesnt save. have to pop the cover off and push card back in and save again...ugh.

Talked with HB, and this is a new door design. They are sending another door to try out...hopefully it has a wider slot for the sd cards.

ccm

Re: HB 999 Problem....SD cards keep popping out

Post by ccm » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:40 am

cactusflyr
I have a 959ci hd di that I bought a couple of months ago and I am having the same problem with my card popping out. Had Humminbird send me a new door but I still have the problem on occasion. I will be watching your posts to see if you have better luck than I have.

I don't know if you have had much dealings with H/B customer service but I have had mixed success with them. A couple of the ladies have been pretty good but one (un named) has been very unreliable. I asked her five questions, a short time ago, and I have since learned that 3 of the answers were wrong.

Good Luck

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:04 pm

ccm,
If you can pm me the Customer Service Reps name and the questions that she got wrong; I can contact their training person and make sure that she goes back over that information with her.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

Darrenf442

Post by Darrenf442 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:03 pm

I have a 899 and 999. Same issues. On mine it seems to be the right card. I can usually get them to stay in after one or two tries but close the door then lift it up just a crack, if one card has popped out use a small screwdriver or pocket knife to push it back down. After screaming for 20 min found this to be the simplest solution. Just wish they made that little rectangle that goes around the cards a bit bigger

jprism

Post by jprism » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:56 am

I have just had my 899 since Aug 2014 and have the exact problem. My remedy was to shave those outer ridges down on both sides using a Dremil tool until the door would latch without popping the cards out. Seems like this is a long time problem that has never been addressed. It has to be a casting defect in the case or an assembly problem! The guy at Bass Pro that I deal with told me that Lowrance & Garmin have better quality controls on their units...but I am sold on HB.

p.s. Just received a new 859 for the bow and the door on it goes on just fine!!

Jim

Darrenf442

Post by Darrenf442 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:02 pm

I dont have a dremel but all i did was take my pocket knife and trim down the one side ( closet to the power button) . There are two ridges , shave the inside one down to the same height as the outside one. Then trim it to an angle. 5 minutes and it works 100%.

Thanks for the idea.

gwiles

Post by gwiles » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:54 am

Could you go over trimming the box inside the sd card cover a little more? I think you're opening up the inside of the box a bit by cutting some plastic from the inside of the box walls. Yes? Any concerns about strength or leaking? Got a new 999 and am having a heck of a time getting the cards to stay in when closing the cover. Do you slip the top tab in first, then push the bottom of the cover in and twist the locking post? Sometimes the cards pop out, (mostly the right one), just sliding the top tab in!