Confused

General Discussion
McCrossover

Confused

Post by McCrossover » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:47 am

My Boat Dealer contacted me yesterday to confirm all the electronics for my new boat....Helix 10 Si for the Helm and the 859CI HD DI for the Bow along with a Minn Kota 80lb Terrova I-Pilot.

I contacted Humminbird regarding wiring required so the Helix 10 would talk to the 859 (all I needed was two 720074-1 and one 720073-5) but this is where it gets confusing; she mention that the 859 could not be connected to the Minn Kota as the US2 Solar was not compatible and would destroy my 859. She also went on to say I would need a Solar unit only and to go with the Helix 9 Solar for the Bow.

More confusing is the Minn Kota site shows the 859 is compatible.

Can you clarify this for me.

Thks

Wayne P.

Re: Confused

Post by Wayne P. » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:02 pm

The US2 cannot do Down Imaging. US2 is 83/200 kHz 2D sonar ONLY. A Down Imaging transducer has two sonar crystals, the US2 just has the ONE.

If you want to have Down Imaging on the trolling motor, you have to install a Down Imaging transducer on the trolling motor.

Otherwise you can forget you even have a Down Imaging unit and use the unit as a 2D-only model by changing the connected transducer setting to Dual Beam.
If you do that connection and do not change the transducer setting, the unit will be broadcasting on the unloaded DI circuit which will damage the unit processor over time.

The word is SONAR, not solar.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.