798 transducer option

General Discussion
johnnyabgood

798 transducer option

Post by johnnyabgood » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:32 am

I have read many forums and FAQs throughout the web and have not been able to find an answer to my issue.
I have a 2000 Cobalt 246, with a Mercruiser I/O which is a pleasure boat, open bow and swim platform. I use this boat on the upper Hudson river primarily for pleasure including Striper fishing in the spring. I bought a HB 798ci SI last year and never installed it due to the transducer mounting requirements. With the I/O as is there is no line of site from where I can mount the transducer to the other side of the transom. Assuming I mount at at least 15" from the prop. Therefore it appears that the SI function will not work. I typically do not worry about fishing while moving. I attempt to locate some fish then drop anchor or just drift with the current.

With this type of fishing environment :
1 - Can I use the SI features knowing I only see one side?
2 - What type of down imaging will the unit provide? Will it be ample?
3 - Knowing that "thru-hull" transducers do not provide SI would that be a better option?
4 - What would be my best option for using this unit as I also need the GPS, water depth and temperature features?

Thanks in advance
JohnnyA

Wayne P.

Re: 798 transducer option

Post by Wayne P. » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:45 pm

Humminbird has a solution to your hull type.

Get another SI transducer and put one on each side of the outdrive.
Connect the two with the AS SILR Y cable.

You will get right side SI, 2D sonar, and temp from the right side SI transducer and left side SI from the left side SI transducer.
The right side transducer is the only one that needs to be at the bottom of the hull for depth when on plane. The left side can be attached a little higher since Imaging is a slow speed function.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.