Changing from 798ci si combo to ... what?

General Discussion
zparticle

Changing from 798ci si combo to ... what?

Post by zparticle » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:41 pm

So I moved to Cape Coral, Florida (gulf of mexico side of FL) with my 17' bass boat. I have a 798ci si combo which is no longer powering up. I've tried it on both mount points (pilot area and bow area) so I don't think it is a wiring issue. Also I have brand new batteries so I'm fairly sure the amps are not a problem either. At any rate, as much as I hate to think of spending more money I'm thinking I may need to invest in a new system.

I was hoping to get some insight into what folks here have liked/disliked about the newer models. My main plan is to fish "the flats", salt water areas, areas that are not particularlly deep. In my little boat I don't want to risk getting caught in bad weather too far from shore. So high resolution at great depths is not so important to me. What would be more important would be navigation, depth charts, way points, etc.

I don't have a lot of room on my console to put in a huge unit. I suppose I could remove the wind screen, that wouldn't be a horrible loss and it would give me a lot more room to work with. It would be nice to be able to move the system from the pilot area to the bow, like I could with the 798, but frankly I don't think it matters much down here as the trolling motor is not going to work in the higher currents of the flats. I just need to be able to get to the fishing holes I feel have produced before, I probably won't be spending a lot of time with the trolling motor in action, I might even remove it. Most of the time I'll be getting to a tried and true area and drifting through it.

I hope I'm supplying enough info to have some folks give me recommendations.

Wayne P.

Re: Changing from 798ci si combo to ... what?

Post by Wayne P. » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:13 am

The Helix series replaced all the models with number names. They do the same thing the same way with the same power cord and transducer.

The 798ci SI Combo was replaced by the 798ci HD SI Combo and was Ethernet capable. That was discontinued along with the 598ci HD SI Combo and replaced by a lesser unit that was the combo of the two models---698ci HD SI Combo.

To get the same functionality as the 798, it would have to be a Helix 9 SI GPS Combo. The Helix 7 SI GPS and Helix 5 SI GPS units are not linkable to any other units or themselves.

If linkability is not an issue, the Helix 7 SI GPS would be a good choice over the Helix 5 SI GPS due to a faster processor for handling mapping.

The display of the Helix 7 is 2.5" wider than the 798 and the same height.

MSRP of the 798ci SI Combo was about $1000. The Helix 7 SI GPS has a MSRP of $699. The Helix 5 SI GPS has a MSRP of $499.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

zparticle

Post by zparticle » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:57 pm

Thank you very much. That is very helpful info. :)

zparticle

Post by zparticle » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Okay so I think I'm sold on the Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS. However I can't quite figure out what map card to get. I'm thinking Navionics Gold micro SD card but which one? I want deatial for all of Florida including the canals and costal waters. Any thoughts on this?

zparticle

Post by zparticle » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Well the heck with it I'm going to go ahead and order it with the Navionics Preloaded Chart of All USA/Canada Gold and Hotmaps chip. Ugh, really don't want to spend the money but oh well.

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:58 pm

The best product is Navionics+ Preloaded. It has coastal and inland waters.

You can view today's data on the Navionics website's Web App.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

zparticle

Post by zparticle » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:15 pm

No that is compact flash, I'm not finding a Navionics+ Preloaded MSD for all US and CAN on amazon.

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:57 pm

Cards that are not CF are MSD (microSD) with a SD adapter. There are very few brands that have CF readers.

Most all are either SD or MSD.

Your 798 has two SD card readers, you need the MSD size that comes with the SD adapter.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.