997c SI memory card size

Post any Side Imaging Videos here
RIC

997c SI memory card size

Post by RIC » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:08 pm

Can anyone advise what minimum size memory card is should be installed in the 997c SI,to record images ?

Keith Councell

Post by Keith Councell » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Personal I have used 16mb MMC cards...

I would be amazed if you can find smaller now days.
I can be smart here and there...

RIC

Post by RIC » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:54 am

thank you Keith for your reply .1MB and bigger seams to be the norm and inexpensive now days.I wasn't sure wether 2MB was enough.I guess it heaps. Cheers Ric.

George

Post by George » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:46 am

Ric
I'm curious is there a reason for using a small memory card? I just purchased a 4 GB Sandisk extreme III for $18.00 and was thinking of getting a couple of 2 GB cards to have on the boat for different types of recordings.

George

TapOut64

Post by TapOut64 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 pm

I have a 4 Gig as well. I prefer to have a large card since I record quite often and I don't have to worry about the card filling up.

MELYASH

Post by MELYASH » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:23 am

My question is the opposite, How BIG a card will the 997 or 1197 take?

RGecy

Post by RGecy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:51 pm

I think the bigest I have seen that someone has tried is 32GB. The SanDisk seem to be the most reliable and the SanDisk Extreme III has better performance.

Extreme III 8 GB - $29.99 after rebate

Good Luck,

RGecy

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:39 pm

32GB is the theoretical limit as it is the top end of what the SDHC memory cards are capable of. I can’t think of anyone right off that has used one and reported back on how it has worked though. I know of some that have used the 16GB cards without problems.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

Moose1am

It's not just the storage capacity that you should think of

Post by Moose1am » Sun May 23, 2010 7:39 am

When purchasing an SDHC card for your humminbird SI unit or a digital SLR camera think about the speed of the card too.

Read/write speed is very important if you want to capture screen shot's quickly and get back to viewing the sonar screen.

Look at the level 10 cards that can read and write at 30 MBPS.

You will find a lot of level 1 cards out there with huge memory capability but they are so slow they may not work.

My new canon EOS Rebel T1i will stop taking movies after about 4 seconds when I give it a 1 GB SD card that's too slow in the read/write dept.

So think about memory speed as well as it's capacity to store data when buying a SDHC card.

SDHC= Secure Digital High Capacity

MBPS= Megabytes per second read/write speed

GB= gigabytes of data stored

8 bits to the byte
Regards:

Moose1am

bass1942

Memory Cards

Post by bass1942 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:49 pm

I read recently that the 2GB standard memory card were the ONLY compatible cards to use with these units. Also on the HB site, they say the the SDHC cards are not compatible. Does anyone have any information as to the best card to use with the 998 for recording. I have the 2GB cards to load updates and such on, but need to know which cards to use for recording. Thanks

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:17 pm

Bass1942,
The best memory cards to use for sonar recordings are the class 10 memory cards because these are the fastest there is. Size wise you need to get as large of an SDHC memory card as you can if you are going to do a lot of sonar recording (or several smaller ones). I recommend sticking with the SanDisk brand as they follow the SD Card Associations specs for SD and SDHC memory cards and should work with our units. Look at the Extreme III memory cards in at least the 4GB size if not larger. Many are keeping their sonar recordings to 30 minutes as it is easier to navigate through the video when reviewing on 3rd party software on their computers.

If you have some really old software in your 997 unit - and I’m talking older than 3.720 here, than you will have to use an SD card to update your unit as one of the updates with the 3.720 version software was the programming to allow the unit to use the SDHC type memory cards.

Can you post the url or a link to the web page that said that the SDHC memory cards would not work please?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

boykinsbuddy

Post by boykinsbuddy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:04 am

Using a 16 gig SDHC with no problems in an 1198.
I don't tell lies, I just enhance the truth

WZX123

Post by WZX123 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:45 am

A lot of startup businesses fail on the first year of their business. The reasons are varied and innumerable, but the most common is failing to choose the most appropriate marketing technique. A lot of businesses simply assume that what worked for other will work for them as well not considering the fact that each business is unique and has different marketing needs. What happens is these businesses spend money on unprofitable marketing activities. It is only when things start to fail that they realize they have made the wrong choice at the wrong time.

tomistomafund

Re: 997c SI memory card size

Post by tomistomafund » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:28 pm

I use a 64gb card for my recordings, but I do a lot of recordings and never fill it up. I wouldn't go below 8gb if you are putting on your own maps or doing alot of recordings, it's just not worth the extra $10 to gain some insurance in a larger card. Any SD card that is properly formatted will work, but the larger ones need to be formatted on the computer to FAT (they are usually NTFS or incompatible before formatting) for them to work.

Fixitrod

Re: 997c SI memory card size

Post by Fixitrod » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Does anyone know what the 998 write speed to SD card actually is when in full speed ping with all frequencies turned on? Looking for the full blown max it can write. This would tell us when we are spending more money than we need to.