No video yet

Post any Side Imaging Videos here
promapper

No video yet

Post by promapper » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:42 am

But does anyone know the time to megabyte ratio for the video?

In other words, how long can you record on a 1 gig card?
Thanks,

Greg
You're mistaken dear, it's the same sonar
I had on there last year.

320hotrod

Post by 320hotrod » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:57 am

I've only done a few videos, but it appears to me to be about 1mB per 5 seconds, plus the 1KB for the DAT file. If I didn't just get off work and wasn't soooo tired, I'd do the math, but I'll leave that to you daylighters.

promapper

Post by promapper » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:11 am

Let's see, there is 1024 meg in a gig. use the 24 meg for overhead and dat files leaving 1000 meg for video...give or take

1000 meg times 5 seconds = 5000 seconds or 83 hours

YIKES!!! Is this correct? If it is then we definitely need to push Humminbird for a sonar/gps viewer that will run on a laptop or pc. That would allow us to capture all day and view in the recliner in the evening.

I mentioned this over in the other forum a while back. This time I found the link to Lowrances download viewer.

http://www.lowrance.com/Downloads/SLV/sonar_viewer.asp

Ideally I would like to see a full blown emulator of the 997 using the data captured as source input as though it were real time with all the functions of the real unit. This would allow fast forward, zoom, gps data, the works. The lowrance has even more functions than the sonar unit itself. But I'd be satisfied to have just the same as what is on the unit. I would think the R&D guys already have this.

I know you can do that on the unit itself but if you constantly bring the unit in the house and back it will eventually wear on some part and fail and at the worse possible time.

the possibilities are numerous. Most of all I would like sitting in the easy chair reviewing data and planning a more detailed investigation of promising sites for the next trip. Perhaps even have more time to review instead of taking away "line in water time".
Thanks,

Greg

320hotrod

Post by 320hotrod » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:43 pm

I seem to actually come up with 83 minutes. I also liked using the Lowrance emulators. It would be great to be able to go over recorded sonar on PC for those times it's not convenient to carry your head unit around with you (like to work when you work all night sitting at a desk watvhing monitors!!)
Last edited by 320hotrod on Fri May 04, 2007 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

promapper

Post by promapper » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:18 pm

whoops, your right! was in a hurry and didn't double check that. That shouldn't have even passed the "does it sound reasonable" test. Wishful thinking and divided by 60 instead of 3600. Dang Chris, guess that blows my chance at being numbers moderator.

Still, cards are cheap. It wasn't that long ago that cards were as expensive as entry level computers are now.

Anyways, thanks for the correction.....and it was in a tackfull way! sort of indirect and not dimeaning. Nice job. You must have good poeple skills.

Get the boat back tomorrow. will carry the 997 head with me and do a test run when I pick it up. It's been three days and already have video withdrawals. what I am finding is nothing like what I thought was down there. more on that when I get some more screen shots as well as surface shots for reference.
Thanks,

Greg

Reel Cheap

Video ?

Post by Reel Cheap » Fri May 04, 2007 12:52 am

can you do video on the 987? :?: :?:

320hotrod

Post by 320hotrod » Fri May 04, 2007 9:19 am

The 987 only does snapshots; the 997 will do snapshots and video recordings. I don't think the 987 when it first came out could even do that, I think it was a software update after it was released that gave it that capability, and believe I heard that an update to include video recording was not in the works.

Humminbird_Greg

Don't count it out yet

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Sat May 05, 2007 11:52 am

I’m not so sure that video in the 987/981 units is out of the question yet. I have not heard for sure one way or the other but it would depend on whether these units have the needed processing and memory capabilities available.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com

Aberger

Humminbird Product Emulators

Post by Aberger » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:57 pm

Does anyone know if Humminbird plans to offer Emulators for their units? I think this would be a great idea on thier behalf. I am in the market to purchase my first unit and i have been trying different ones from Lowrance and would like to be able to try Humminbirds as well before i make my choice and drop that much money on a unit. right now i am leaning more towards lowrance simply because of the emulator and being able to try it before i buy it.
Aaron

WZX123

Post by WZX123 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:53 am

Ask any PlayStation or video game fan and they'll tell you the trill they experience is like an adrenalin shot, something that can't be explained in words. Whether you are dealing with PlayStation 3, video games or online games, there is something heady about sitting opposite your computer screen and manipulating buttons in a way that takes you into a different realm, a new high altogether.