HELP! 798 turns off after 30 seconds - every time

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
dallasag85

HELP! 798 turns off after 30 seconds - every time

Post by dallasag85 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi, sure could use some help troubleshooting this problem. Installed my 798 SI (purchased new) last week and took ti to the water this week. Transducer works perfectly and the 798 works well, too... for 30 seconds. After that, it powers down automatically with no warning. Does anyone know why it is doing this?

When the unit is on, GPS and sonar are working just fine - no issues that I can see. Can't keep it on long enough to tell more about the nav functions, etc.

Would appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Semper Fi,

Jim

dallasag85

Few more details

Post by dallasag85 » Sat May 16, 2009 4:50 pm

Brand new, freshly charged battery - 798 battery meter read 12.4 volts

Unit is wired into fuse panel with a 3 amp fuse

Unit shuts off at approx 30 seconds each and every time I turn it on.

If I disconnect the head then replace it, I can restart the unit immediately. If I don't, I have to wait a few minutes before it will start again.

Once it turns off, the only thing that happens when I press the power button is that the background light on the buttons come on for very short period of time (blink of an eye)

George

Post by George » Sat May 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Jim,

It sounds as if you may be losing some power, have you rechecked all of your connections to make sure that everything is tight. Starting at the head, then the fuse system going back to the battery. When I am using my system, I normally see more then 12.4 volts which leads me to believe that you may have a loose connection. You might have a poor ground which could cause a problem.

Is it possible that something may be drawing down the power while you are using the HB unit?

You may want to run a temporary wire directly to your battery +/- just to check it out.

George

dallasag85

Post by dallasag85 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:32 pm

George, thanks for the reply. Ran the leads straight to a fully charged battery and got the same result.

Also, as a troubleshooting step, I connected my VHF radio to the terminals I originally had my HB unit on and it ran without problem. Not sure if that's a good indicator or not...

Jim

FuzzyGrub

Post by FuzzyGrub » Sat May 16, 2009 9:11 pm

With no warning message, and over 12V right up to power off, it sounds like it may need service. To further isolate, remove transducer connector and see if it still does it. If ext gps, try same with that. Also, remove any other external accesories, if equiped. Any errors on diagnostic menu?
JohnS

dallasag85

Post by dallasag85 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:31 pm

Self test diagnostic says all systems are go. No problems.

I'm having a hard time believing it needs service. I just bought it a week ago and put it in the water for the first time today.

You want to see someone trying to choose between laughing and crying -- picture a Marine out in his new-to-him boat for the first time, trying to avoid a series of ticklish sandbars on an outgoing tide..., turns HB on and burns about half the 30 seconds available getting to the right screen, then has 10-15 seconds to zoom in and get enough of an orientation to last for the next minute or so it will take to get the unit to turn on again. Repeat about 20-30 times each way...

Love the possibilities of this unit, but I can't believe I paid $1000 for this frustration...

dallasag85

Post by dallasag85 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:32 pm

No external accessories. Still does the same thing after disconnecting the transducer...

FuzzyGrub

Post by FuzzyGrub » Sun May 17, 2009 6:30 am

You have run it direct to battery, so don't think there is anything more to do.

If you bought from a local retailer, see if they will exchange it. Even if mailorder/online, exchange might be quicker. or maybe one of the HB guys can help expidite.
JohnS

SkeeterB

Post by SkeeterB » Sun May 17, 2009 8:10 am

Dallas, my Left SI never worked right out of the box. Had to send it back the first week I had it. I do know your frustrations!!! However, Humminbird will make it right and It will be wirth it! I have had to send my unit back for 2 different problems. HB made good on both. Hang it there.

Britt

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed May 20, 2009 11:24 am

About the only other thing to try would be to test your 798 on someone else's boat. This would rule out your power cable having a intermittant connection of some sort. It does not have to be another 798 unit as we have made many models of Humminbird units that use the same mounting system (does not have to be an Si sonar unit either). After that I would call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks at 1-800-633-1467 for information on getting the unit (or power cable) serviced.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can