bad 1198

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
adman

bad 1198

Post by adman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Just sent my brand new 1198 back to H. Very sad, but it kept freezing up and I would have to wait 30-60 seconds for to come back alive. Very random, very irritating but I know H has the best customer service in the business. I had to fedex it overnight ($!OUCH) because I hit the road next Thurs for prefish and hoped the sooner I got it to them I might get it back in time.

Hope mine was a one-off problem and not indicative of some wider issue with the 1198s

ITGEEK

Post by ITGEEK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:34 am

Don't worry.
HB will take care of you.

When you get it back, I hope the unit works to your liking.

adman

Post by adman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm not worried Humminbird has the best customer service of ANY company in any category I have ever encountered. They are almost unbelievable! What a company. Even though my unit was defective out of the box, I have nothing but great things to say about H. And the 1198 is spectacular! The new screen is remarkable it's almost like watching television!

Wayne P.

Cutting Off

Post by Wayne P. » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:07 pm

While you are waiting for the rapair?.
Make sure your wiring is sufficient to support the unit.
If you attached the power cord to the boat wiring harness, you may want make a direct connection to the battery by extending the power cord with at least 18 guage wire. Also use a spade type fuse instead of the round glass type (if you used that type).
Check the battery connections for corrosion and tightness along with the actual battery condition (fully charged, water level, capacity to run the unit and other functions like starting, pumps, lights, etc.)
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

adman

Post by adman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:40 pm

An update. Sent unit in and it was returned with the notes saying everything worked as normal. Bad sign. Plugged it in and it does the same thing...freezes. Talked to HB tech guy and we went through all the usual stuff and he said well just send it back! Pretty frustrating.
I'm convinced it is linked to the card reader but I could be wrong. All I know for sure is I'm not real happy at the moment.

ITGEEK

Post by ITGEEK » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:36 am

Could you possibly load test your battery or try another battery?
If you have checked your battery with a volt meter, that will only show you the battery is fully charged, but the battey could still be bad. A faulty charger can fry a battery if it gets too hot, but the battery may still charge up, but not be able to handle any load. That happened to me, twice.

Have you tried bending your power pins inwards a little?
Have you checked for a bad fuse or loose wiring?
Make sure every connection is rock solid.
Have you tried booting your unit up without the SD card(s) in there?
If your unit works OK at the HB center, then their must be a problem at your end.

I'll bet that 9 times out of 10 it's a battery that someone knows is good (but is actually bad), or a loose connection.

Good luck.

Wayne P.

Install check

Post by Wayne P. » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:17 am

Did you do all the stuff I mentioned before ?
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

adman

Post by adman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Having gone through all the things mentioned in the prior post responses countless times with several tech people at HB...there is absolutely NO power issue. No battery issues, no connection issues. Everything works as expected except in chart view.

bdbran

Post by bdbran » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Adman,
I am having the same exact problem as you. I had it professionally installed by a boat repair co that
installs some of the pro's. I am losing the screen for 20-30 seconds and everything thats left up on
the screen freezes. Greg with Humminbird has been very helpful and the boat repair is going to take
another look at it ( 3rd time ) It is hard for me too believe that Humminbird hasn't had more issues with this problem. This is my 3rd Humminbird. I had this happen one time with my 997 before I got the 1198.
The boat repair place even put a different 1198 on my boat an it froze up and lost the screen before we ever got into the water. Greg Walters suggested putting my 1198 on a different boat and
seeing if it still did it.

bdbran

Post by bdbran » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Adman,
I forgot to mention that I was in a tournament this last weekend as a co-angler and my partner
had a brand new boat an 1198 with about 2 hrs on it. He had the same problem with his 1198
screen going blank and coming back on about 20-30 seconds later. He wasn't a happy camper.
He is suppose to keep me posted if they can get the problems solved. I will keep you posted

adman

Post by adman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Misery loves company! Perhaps HB has a problem they are just learning about. Please keep me posted and I will do the same. No matter what, I have faith that HB will solve the problem and go out of their way to keep their customers happy. (Hey it's only 3 grand right?)

hqjig

Post by hqjig » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:10 pm

i had the same problem with my 997 si, a service guy had me check the voltage while turning the unit on, get a digital meter, put the power plug in just far enough to give the unit power but so the pins are exposed put ur meter on the pins, turn the unit on and watch the meter,to see if you have 12 volts before u turn it on, if the voltage drops when u turn it on, then you have a power problem in ur wiring, i went crazy trying to find out why, after sending it back to hb and paying the one time fee, getting it back and still not working, called hb and the service guy told me how to check, turned out my fuse holder was the problem, went back to the old in line glass fuse holder works fine now
hq

adman

Post by adman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Thought I should follow up on this. I eventually identified the problem only happened when in chart/gps. I called tech and they said use the y cable and make sure the antenna goes directly to the 1198,not to interface then to the unit. WaLa problem gone. So to anyone suffering this problem make sure you use the y cable and get the antenna signal straight to unit then to the interface.

And thanks to Hummminbird for their AS USUAL great customer/tech service.