Through Hull or Transom Mount

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
woodawg58

Through Hull or Transom Mount

Post by woodawg58 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:05 pm

I have decided to purchase a 998c SI Combo within the next week or so and need to better understand a couple of variables. This being my first post, my apology in advance if this has been covered elsewhere but 3 days of searching threads hasn’t addressed my issues.
In relation to which transducer will work best, I have no problems drilling a hole if a clear advantage exists.

In the past I’ve found my transom mounted transducers become fouled with weeds more often than I’d like and at times it gets downright tedious cleaning it off. I also have found no matter where or how deep I orient it, performance usually drops to zero by the time I get on plane. My suspicions are that a slight downward angle exists at the rearmost 6” of the fiberglass hull where it meets the transom and is disturbing the flow at higher speeds.

My questions are;
1. How resistant to catching weeds is the XPTH 9 HDSI 180 T and what are the chances it will improve my high speed performance?
2. Has anyone tested and experienced a performance difference between the XPTH 9 HDSI 180 T and the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T transducers?
3. Are the 998c SI Combo and the 998c SI Combo CHO packaged with the same items except for the missing transducer on the latter?

SilmarilS

Post by SilmarilS » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:08 am

If you have a fiberglass hull, you are better to install the SI transducer to be over water when on plane and use a shoot thru hull transducer for on-plane 2D sonar operation, using a splitter cable.

This is the most reliable setup for fiberglass hull and SI unit users.

Someone should post soon all the part you need to order for completing this setup.
As I don't know them!

woodawg58

Good Advice

Post by woodawg58 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:09 am

[quote="SilmarilS"]If you have a fiberglass hull, you are better to install the SI transducer to be over water when on plane and use a shoot thru hull transducer for on-plane 2D sonar operation, using a splitter cable.
quote]

This sounds like good advice but will it address my weed fouling issue? My problems occur the most in milfoil but occasionally cabbage gets caught up too. I don't currently experience as much fouling at high speeds but it seems my rig is a weed magnet when I slow down.

The through hull transducer looks like weeds should just slip right past/over it with the tapered front on the stand-off.

If a 2D transducer is the answer to high speed operation then that's something I'll look into as well.

SilmarilS

Post by SilmarilS » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:00 pm

Since the SI transducer mounted on the transom should be higher than the bottom of the hull, it should not pose a problem.

And the 2D transducer is inside the hull, so no problem here either

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:42 pm

Hmmm, never thought about weed snagging on the XPTH transducers before. I guess that if it was flush mounted (the mounting block located on the inside of the hull so that the transducer body is against the hull) that it would not be as bog of a weed magnet, but I haven’t tested this out. The problem would be that if it does snag weeds that you would have to trailer the boat or go for a swim to clear it. depending on your transom and where it is mounted there may pose the same problem.

XP-9-20 inside-the-hull Dual Beam transducer and an AS-Si-DB-Y transducer splitter cable will work for the 2D transducer inside-the-hull.

Yes the “CHO” model comes without a transducer but you could always trade in the standard transom transducer towards the XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T transducer through Humminbird.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

woodawg58

Post by woodawg58 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Humminbird_Greg wrote:XP-9-20 inside-the-hull Dual Beam transducer and an AS-Si-DB-Y transducer splitter cable will work for the 2D transducer inside-the-hull.

Yes the “CHO” model comes without a transducer but you could always trade in the standard transom transducer towards the XPTH-9-HDSi-180-T transducer through Humminbird.
Ok then ... the "CHO" model would be complete with a AS GR50 and I could then add a XTPH 9 HDSI 180 T ... or just trade out the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T included in the full Combo unit.

I'm running a '96 40Hp Johnson SS tiller and there is slightly over 6" from the transom to motor housing at the base of the transom and a little over 1" from the bottom of the hull to the bottom of the motor mount. I think there is room for the si beam to sneak through but not much extra.

I'd like to try the transom mounted Xducer and see how it goes.

What are my chances of trade-in after I try it out and decide to go with plan "B"?

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:06 am

No can do than woodawg58. The transducer has to be new and unused for the transducer exchange program.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can