Future 798 owner questions!

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
SilmarilS

Future 798 owner questions!

Post by SilmarilS » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:21 pm

I plan on switching my 778c (old model non-ethernet) for the new 798Ci SI HD.

My first question, since the new model have ethernet out on the same NMEA plug as the 778C,
Is the data cable and the NMEA IN/OUT will still work with the current cable plugged in the 778C?
The pinout seem exact, apart a pin more on the 798.
I don't plan on using the Ethernet plug anytime soon.
Is my TG_W temp sensor will still work?

For 2D/SI recording on the SD card, How much data per hour I should expect If I record at max setting (quality/speed)

This new unit will be used to scan fresh water lakes for my diving friend.

Is there anything I should look when switching units. I currently have a portable setup. So I think I will have to switch : head-unit, cable collector in the MS-M mount to accommodate the new data cable, and the transducer. Everything else should be the same.

Thanks guys!

Wayne P.

Ethernet

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:57 pm

The ethernet connection port on the HD models is not shaped like any non-HD unit. There is no shotcut and no physical connection or software that will make a non-HD model a ethernet capable unit. If you want an ethernet connection between units, both have to be manufactured ethernet ready. The old 778 you have can not be.
The accessories can be used by both models.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

SilmarilS

Post by SilmarilS » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks Wayne for the help..

But I think you mis-read my post.. I don't plan to use the Ethernet capabilities, and will only use 1 unit on the boat. (will sell the 778c to finance the 798)

I looked at the Humminbird Website, and they don't list the temp sensor TG-W as being compatible with the new HD units. BUT the extension cable is listed for HD units. So, I can guess that it will work.
The temp sensor will be using the same data port as the Ethernet plug, So I need to know if it will work.

My main fear was the NMEA port, and it seems to remain untouched from what I have seen from pictures from the web.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 pm

SilmarilS,
The NMEA connector is unchanged with the new HD units. The change in the connectors came to what used to be the Temp/Speed connector (see drawing) which has been replaced by the Ethernet connector.

Right now there is no way to connect a TG-W up to one of the Ethernet units but I heard that may change for this next model year so sit tight if you can.

The Ethernet port is only for Ethernet. Since the addition of this connector some other things have changed such as being able to use a paddlewheel type speed accessory now requires the addition of an extra “Y’Y cable (AS-SW-Y) which plugs into the transducer connector.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:31 pm

How about that picture now? :roll:

I help because I can

SilmarilS

Post by SilmarilS » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks Greg.. I was looking at the near same picture in each user manuals, but had a hard time differencing the size of each plugs (ethernet vs TG-W) Now I clearly see that the new units have a bigger plug, not only more pins...

I'm happy to see that next year model will solve this.. ( what will be changed between 2011 and 2012 798 models?) It will be a better time frame for me to change unit between seasons. ( And I have better rebates on fishing gear each spring)

Meanwhile, I will continue to seek the net for more informations about SI units and their applications in Diving.

Thanks again for your help!

SilmarilS

Post by SilmarilS » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Do you know how much data the unit save in recording mode with SI?

Say, I want to scan 4h-6h at a time, is a 8Gb card enough or I need 16/32Gb card?

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:20 am

SilmarilS,
There won’t be any changes to the 798 units (that I know of), the change will be an accessory cable that will allow the use of the TG-W with the 700 series Ethernet units.

I do not know what the size of sonar recordings are (that data is at work) but I do know that it varies with the water depth, the Si Range menu setting as well as the Beam Select menu setting. The folks on the sideimagingsoft.com web site could tell you what they have been getting. I would keep recordings to 30 minutes max, as this will make it easier to review and find a particular area you want to look at more closely.
I help because I can