798 water damage?

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
watershed

798 water damage?

Post by watershed » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey All, I turned my 798 into a portable unit to use on row boats. The other day while loading the boat the unit toppled over and fell into the lake. It was about 5 minutes before I realized this and retrieved it from the bottom of the Lake. The unit worked off and on the rest of the day but now will not even power up. Anybody have experience with waterlogged electronics and how I can get it working again?

Thanks in advance

RGecy

Post by RGecy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:41 am

Most likely it has shorted something out inside. How old is the unit? They are supposed to be waterproof and float. Was the SD card door open?

I would send it back to Humminbird.

Good Luck,

Robert

watershed

Post by watershed » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:46 pm

I bought the unit last November. The SD door was shut but water still seemed to get in there. I will call Hummigbird after the weekend.

Thanks

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:12 pm

How deep was the unit in the water?

I am assuming that the unit was installed on the portable device or it would have floated.

The units are rated IP67Waterproof/Submersible at 1 meter for 30 minutes. If you exceed that water depth or time than it may have leaked. Care must also be taken to properly reseal the card reader door.

If water has affected the electronics inside the unit; the only thing that you can do is send it in to Humminbird to be seen after.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

WhompusFinder

Post by WhompusFinder » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Greg "Care must also be taken to properly reseal the card reader door." explain that for me just so I know please thanks.
Are you wishin you were fishin? Not me......

SilmarilS

Post by SilmarilS » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:17 pm

It's a shame that a 1k$ marine unit don't have sealed ports.. Like the one on the back on each units.
I consider that a serious design flaw that push me away from bigger model.
I know that my 778C is entirely waterproof, and don't have to think about a flimsy card door (which won't win any design prices) to fail someday and ruin a perfectly good unit.

Wayne P.

Silmarils

Post by Wayne P. » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Do you have a suggestion of how to have a unit with a digital card reader/s with no convenient access to the card reader?
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

SilmarilS

Post by SilmarilS » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:49 pm

The SD Card slot can be made waterproof from inside the unit.
The door still need to be closed to block debris. But the slot should be waterproof.
It could allow the SD card to be wet, but at least, you won't swamp the entire device because
of a simple gasket.

On my garmin handheld, the USB port is fully waterproof, but has a simple rubber plug to
protect the pins.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:37 pm

What SilmarilS suggested could be done but would require a price increase to cover the added production steps and additional design changes. It would also likely require an increase in the service charge as the front housing would have to be replaced any time there is a problem with the card readers as well. I don’t see us doing this as the units were not meant to be used underwater and should only occasionally be immersed when you take a wave over the side or drop them in the water (they float). Even if we were to do this: just how deep and for how long should be try and design this for? The IP67 waterproof rating is a pretty standard that is used for many marine grade electronics.

Whompus, just make sure that the card door appears to be flat/flush once installed and that the screw is tightened down. The seal is either in the front housing only or in both the front housing and door (depending on the model unit you have).
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

WhompusFinder

Post by WhompusFinder » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:50 pm

k thanks
Are you wishin you were fishin? Not me......

watershed

Post by watershed » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:53 pm

Just a quick update. Hummingbird replaced the unit no questions asked. Great customer service

Thank you

l889

Re: Silmarils

Post by l889 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:47 am

Wayne P. wrote:Do you have a suggestion of how to have a unit with a digital card reader/s with no convenient access to the card reader?
*LOL*

What about built in memory? Let's say 16 GBytes? Everybody will get a simple 16GByte USB Stick for $10. And there is absolutely no problem to integrate a waterproof USB port in the device. I bet this will be cheaper as this lousy "door"!

A unit for 1k$ should provide such simple features! The internal memory size is a joke. You are using a very good FPGA ("a kind of processor") inside the device. It would be absolutely no problem to integrate flash memory and a simple USB interface with a mass storage driver. Just as a hint for free to the engineers...

Cheers!
John