997ci quit

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
hqjig

997ci quit

Post by hqjig » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:15 am

my 997 quit working ? i turned it on it came to the hb screen hit exit then it shut down,,,,then i turned it back on came to the hb screen hit my favorite screen it shut down again and would not come back on ,,,, no power i check fuse its blown replace fuse power it up ,, it has power but the screen is totally black (anyone have any ideas) why

hq

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:26 pm

Sounds like there was an internal part failure hq. Make sure that you have ample voltage as well as check that fuse again and if all are good you will need to send in your 997c Si unit to the Service Center (call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks at 1-800-633-1468 to set this up).

I managed to pinch a power cable in the hinge of a seat on a boat one time that caused me to say all sorts of bad words until I figured it out: the unit I was testing would shut down. I would check the fuse and see that it was blown. Simple fix to replace the fuse and not use the supposed bad unit right? No way: plug in a new unit and it does not work either. Check fuse and it’s blown again! Get voltmeter, replace fuse and check the voltage at the power cable. It checks 12+ volts but that is because I am standing when I check it – now that was important because when I plugged in one of the ‘bad’ units (still standing here); it worked. So I sit down and the unit goes dead again… and the fuse is blown too! It took me a while to figure out that the power cable that was routed around the driver’s seat somehow got up in the hinge of the seat and when I plopped my big butt down in the seat; the power cable would get shorted. Lesson learned: do not route power cables around seats or other moving parts and always trace the power cable all the way back to the battery to make sure it is not being shorted out by something other than the depth sounder. Actually it took something like this happening one more time before I fully learned the lesson, but that’s another story!
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

hqjig

667 guit

Post by hqjig » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:36 pm

sorry for the delay in getting back to you ,my puter was down.

the fuse is good, the unit come's on?? you can hear it beep when you try to change screens by pushing the view button, but that's all i get is beeps no screen all black. then i power off still no power of screen but i hold button down to power of it shut of so when i hit view button no more beeps

hq

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:13 pm

Sounds like it is time to send it into Humminbird to be fixed. :(
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

hqjig

Post by hqjig » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:57 am

that's what i was afraid of , i sent it back last year , now again it getting a little costly sending it