GPS antenna not connected

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
Timber

GPS antenna not connected

Post by Timber » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:20 am

I recently updated my 997 with the latest firmware, now every time I start the big motor I lose GPS position and get the "no GPS antenna connected" message. If I turn the 997 off then back on it reconnects and works fine until I re-start the motor. Connections at the battery and at the unit are good and firm. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:21 pm

Did you also check for any corrosion at all of the electrical connections?
When was the last time that you had your battery load tested?
Is the unit wired directly to the battery (through an in-line fuse) or is it wired to a fuse holder?
A low power condition could cause this.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

Timber

Post by Timber » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:18 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Greg. The unit is wired direct with an in-line fuse. I haven't load tested the battery but its fairly new. I did remove a minor amount of corrosion at the battery, all the other connections look good but I'm certainly no electrician. Don't know if it important to mention or not but only the GPS fails when I crank the engine. The sonar keeps working during and after ignition, if it were a power issue wouldn't the whole thing would shut down instead of just the GPS? I hope to get it out on the water later this week to see if the minor corrosion cleanup fixed the problem, any other things to try before then or out on the lake please let me know. Thanks.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Yes, strange as it sounds; just the GPS could be affected by the cranking of the main motor. Try checking your unit on someone else’s boat and their unit on your boat to see if it happens on your boat of on you unit.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

Late2dinner

Losing gps connection

Post by Late2dinner » Sat May 26, 2012 8:13 pm

Timber,posted losing connection when starting engine. I updated my unit and now I seem to have the same problem . I can reboot my 997c si and it will work for awhile and than lose gps or unit freezes. My question is ,is this a battery problem or an update problem?

WhompusFinder

Post by WhompusFinder » Tue May 29, 2012 4:45 pm

I have a problem like that but on 798 CI SI. Sometimes it will not have gps on startup and will show it as not connected even though it's an internal GPS receiver! Other times it will lose the GPS while the unit is running. No rhyme or reason to it. Software related I'm quite sure at this point. Hasn't done it in a while. Comes and goes. May not do it once in 12 trips, then might do it 12 times on one trip.
Are you wishin you were fishin? Not me......