798 setup questons

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
fay4est

798 setup questons

Post by fay4est » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:51 pm

1. Is there a way to have my unit default to the "chart view" at startup?

2. When I go "Setup" "Select Readouts" and make changes nothing changes.
My chart view always shows "blank", "speed", "course", and "position" at the bottom.

I am inside the house and no transducer but I would think changes I make should show
at the bottom of my screen. Fay

jejb

Post by jejb » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:19 pm

The way it's suppose to work, and usually does, is the screen that is showing when you power it off is the one that shows up when you power the unit on.

If you're running the simulator, I don't believe changes like that will take. Also, the readout selections are different for the Nav screen vs other screens.
John B
08 Skeeter SL210, F225 Yamaha four stroke, 798CI SI NVB, 997C SI
(formerly owned an 1197C SI NVB Combo)

fay4est

Post by fay4est » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:19 pm

John, when I power up I have to bypass the simulator then it always goes to "sonar view".
I would have thought that since the GPS is working it would let me change the readouts at
the bottom of my "chart view". Would you happen to know what HB means by "Course"
and "Navigation"? I hope one or the other changes to give me up to date course changes
to my waypoint. thanks - Fay

Wayne P.

Terms

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:08 am

Course is your travel and that makes the track as you move.

Navigation is planned travel and that is a route planned or the Go To choice to naviagte to a waypoint.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

jejb

Post by jejb » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:26 am

fay4est wrote:John, when I power up I have to bypass the simulator then it always goes to "sonar view".
I would expect it to remember the last screen once you have a transducer hooked up and it's all installed in the boat. If not, contact HB. Make sure you have the lastest software loaded, too.
Would you happen to know what HB means by "Course"
and "Navigation"? I hope one or the other changes to give me up to date course changes
to my waypoint. thanks - Fay
Course just gives you your current course, like 180 (which would be due south, of course). I don't know if I've used the Navigation one.
John B
08 Skeeter SL210, F225 Yamaha four stroke, 798CI SI NVB, 997C SI
(formerly owned an 1197C SI NVB Combo)

fay4est

Post by fay4est » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:29 am

Wayne, should I be able to change my "chart view" readouts even though I do not have a
transducer hooked up with my 798 unit?
I would have thought that since the GPS is working it would let me change the readouts at
the bottom of my "chart view".
Fay

fay4est

Post by fay4est » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:12 am

Guys, in my 798 manual on page 165 it reads "Select Readouts (Advanced Sonar View Only)
Settings: Various, Default = Off" Could my unit not be makeing the changes because I don't
know how to turn the readouts "ON"? :cry: Fay

Wayne P.

Yes

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:41 am

You can use Simulator to set the readouts and then do the Select Readouts with the Chart View on the display so you can watch which readouts are affected by changes to each readout box.
The number of and position of readouts is different between Chart View and the other views. Some readouts are not adjustable. Take the time to do some changes and see what views are affected by those changes.
Not all readout boxes are the same for all views. The Sonar view has the most selections.

Some selectible readouts are not in the menu unless the sensor is connected. Temperature is one of them.

To select or change the readouts, you choose the Select Readouts in the Setup tab and for each box, you scroll left and right with the 4-way button to see all the choices. "Off" is not at the end of the list in any of the box locations, you have to right arrow or left arrow until you don't get any more choices either way to see what the choices are.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

fay4est

Post by fay4est » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:17 am

I have been trying again this morning and there is nothing I can do to change the readouts on
my chart views. It always shows "blank", "speed", "course" and "location" across the bottom
no matter what I change the "Select Readouts" to show. Any thoughts as to what I should do?

thanks in advance - Fay

fay4est

Post by fay4est » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:17 am

Guys, I have just got off the phone with HB and I have been told that what I have in the
"Chart Views" is what I have to live with. Needless to say I am very disappointed with that
answer. I run 20 miles or so often to fish and the "Chart Views" are what I want to use
to get there. I hope HB will change that in the next software update and soon. Sad! :cry:

Fay

Wayne P.

Chart readouts

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:20 pm

I just checked my 798ci SI.
The Chart readouts are not adjustable with the small units.
The blank space on the left side will show the water temperature when you have the transducer hooked up.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

fay4est

Post by fay4est » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:37 pm

I am sorry to hear that Wayne. In what views are the readout options suppose to show?
Why even have the option to change them if you can't see them anywhere?
The only places the readouts show are with some form of "chart view" which I can't change.
:cry: thanks - Fay

grimpuppy

Post by grimpuppy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:27 am

fay4est wrote:Guys, in my 798 manual on page 165 it reads "Select Readouts (Advanced Sonar View Only)
Settings: Various, Default = Off"
fay4est wrote:In what views are the readout options suppose to show?
Keep reading on page 165. Select readouts sets the information to display in each of the 6 fixed-position data windows arranged around the left and bottom edges of the sonar view screen. That is the only place you can view select readouts.
Jay Smith

fay4est

Post by fay4est » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:55 am

Jay, you are sure right. I had read that page a dozen times and it did not register.
I guess looking back at pages like 70 and 78 which appear to be chart views and seeing
all that data, I couldn't believe the "(Advanced Sonar View Only}". thanks - Fay :roll: