798 ci si interference on TM. Kit still available?

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
aje3721

798 ci si interference on TM. Kit still available?

Post by aje3721 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:43 pm

Sorry for the newby question but I have fairly serious interference with the side imaging. I have tried to route all of my wiring as it should be directly to the starting battery in bow compartment. I have a Minn Kota 24V 70# with maximizer and have read here that the variable pulse causes issues with imaging. It is very pronounced at 50 - 70% on the wheel and present at any speed. I tried to read through all of the posts dealing with interference and have seen a trolling motor interference kit mentioned many times. Is this kit still available? I have the standard transom transducer mounted to the TM with a Transducer Shield and Saver. Ironically, I have a second brand new 798ci si ready to mount at the console and with it a new, never used transducer. Should I ask HB to swap out the new transducer for another SI option with shielding? I'm very impressed with the knowledge and experience on the site and hate the fact I'm bringing up an old topic; sorry. HB support has been great and I did ask if there was a transducer made to limit interference but they never mentioned any solutions for interference. Thanks for your time!

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:10 am

aje3721,
Trolling motor interference is an on-going issue as the trolling motors are still radiating the same RF energy as in years past…

Yes the interference kits are still available. You will need to contact the Humminbird Customer Resource folks for one of these (1-800-633-146) but they will probably want you to try several fixes before that.

I would see about trading the standard transom mount transducer for a trolling motor one as it does have additional shielding that can sometimes help with trolling motor interference.

Be patient as what works for some boats for trolling motor interference will not work with all boats for this.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

aje3721

I've tried a few...

Post by aje3721 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:15 pm

...of the possible solutions with the 798 I have and when I receive the new one later this week I can't expect the unit to be much different than the one I have. I do realize that it's the Minn Kota causing the interference and not an issue with the HB and after pouring over every other interference thread, I share everyone's pain. I just feel like I've tried so much already thanks to the expertise and efforts of all of the other members but there is still an issue. I actually borrowed a buddy's TM puck since the last post and the issue is still there. I hate to call support and ask for the interference kit right off the bat but I also hate to take up hours of their time when they're already up against it this time of year with issues customers have that have an easy solution. In some sense, I feel like this kit should be offered and if it doesn't work then contact support! Anyway, thanks everyone for all the grounding tips, transducer attempts and other things you've tried. It saved me a lot of time on the phone trying each one, one at a time!

aje3721

Thanks...

Post by aje3721 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:18 pm

And one other thing. Greg, I read your signature. It's nice that you do take the time. Just because you can help doesn't mean that you have to. Thanks for the reply and your time! Andy.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:44 am

Give the Customer Resource folks a call Andy. When they hear what you have already tried they may go ahead and offer the trolling motor interference kit. You can also call and just order one if you want to.
I help because I can

aje3721

Customer Service was excellent

Post by aje3721 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:35 pm

I did give CS a call. I was ready for the time on hold and had a snack and drink in hand. I've found it isn't as bad if you know it's going to be a while and food is involved. I went through the story with the first young lad who took notes diligently. He mentioned the interference kit but was not authorized to offer it. After a subsequent call, the kit is on it's way. Sure hope it takes care of the issue. Even after the interference and the long waits, I am glad I went with he product I did. All I have to do is think of my lousy contractor who built my house and ANY issue pales in comparison. Thanks again!

aje3721

One last transducer question Greg...

Post by aje3721 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:27 pm

I received the interference kit and it is installed. Pretty straight forward. The last question I have is with the transducer. This is my second 798 so I have one at the console which was at the bow before it moved back. After I have done all of the work I have and Humminbird has helped to they extent they have, I am wondering what transducer to go with. I have read about the HDSI transducer being sent out for trolling motor applications as it has additional shielding. I mentioned that to the CS rep today and, after he learned that it in fact had shielding, I found it was another $90! I mentioned the XTM 9 SI 180 T and after the rep learned it had additional shielding I was told this was an even up swap if I hadn't used my transducer. With everything I have done, how do I know if I have interference left if I don't try the transducer? Anyway, my dilemma is this: Should I try the transducer that came with the 798 with my $70 Transducer Shield and Saver that I used with the old 798 and if I have interference, I'm stuck because the thing is now used? Should I toss the Shield and Saver and swap for the XTM 9 SI 180 T as it will really make a difference or should I spend the cash for the HDSI and get another Shield and Saver that fits it? After going this far, I hate to not do the best thing I could do and cover all the bases yet I am getting fried and I'm out of money. I hate to lose the Shield and Saver but if the XTM 9 SI 180 T is the better way to go I'll swap without getting the new transducer wet.

Wayne P.

Transducers

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:50 pm

The Compact SI transducer puck XTM 9 SI 180 T and the HDSI transducers have the extra internal shielding. The Compact SI transom transducer XNT 9 SI 180 T does not.

The Compact SI puck XTM 9 SI 180 T is easy to mount since it takes no adaptors to install it on the trolling motor.

You won't know if the choke solved the RF interference until you use your setup on the water.

The very best trolling motor setup for a 798 unit is a HDSI transducer installed with the Transducer Shield and Saver TM-HDsi bracket. Second best is the trolling motor puck Compact SI transducer.

I have used the Compact SI puck transducer, Compact SI transom transducer and the HDSI transducer with my 798ci SI.

When I was dealing with RF interference with my Motor Guide Tour 36V motor, the choke and HDSI transducer did not completely solve it. That took an additional measure involving a ground wire.

What works for one setup may or may not work for you. Some I know have had to get their motor re-built to solve it and some others had to just get another motor that did not "broadcast" on the frequencies that the units uses. It's a crapshoot and there is nothing wrong with your sonar unit, it is your motor that needs to be "fixed". The TM choke is just one possible remedy.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

aje3721

Thanks Wayne...

Post by aje3721 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:23 pm

I do realize the issue is not with the HB unit. I would love to go straight to the HDSI transducer and get another Shield and Saver but there goes more money when I have the Saver for the stock transducer. Wonder if Shield and Saver would swap them out for me? :wink: I just hate to get the puck transducer and have the same issue when the HDSI could possible be better. I've heard a lot of people say that the HDSI ducer won't be a benefit when it comes to the display but with the larger size shouldn't it be somewhat better/? Better enough to justify the price over the puck which would be an even swap?

As far as rebuilding the Maxxum... I just put the thing on there! What on earth would Minn Kota say when I requested my motor be rebuilt?! Minn Kota would walk across the hall and meet the guys from Humminbird at the water cooler and have a knee slapper over that one! Seriously, I am starting to think I was more content and more focused on the fish when I wasn't so focused on what my electronics were doing. Those were the days when I was in love with my trolling motor rather than looking at it like I do the ex-wife.

So do I recall someone on here (or another site) that said HB worked with them on the HDSI ducer, shipping and all? I don't want something for nothing, I just want the stuff to work.

Wayne P.

HDSI transducer

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:12 pm

The HDSI transducer is only better than the Compact SI puck because it has longer SI crystals. Those longer crystals produce a thinner SI beam. The thinner SI beams produce a sharper image.
This is snapshot example of a 798ci SI with the HDSI transducer.
It is a creek channel and vehicle tracks made during lake construction.
Copy the image to your computer and view it with a picture viewer using zoom to display the size as it would be on the unit--5"diagonal.

Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

aje3721

compact vs. HDSI

Post by aje3721 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:43 am

So I guess my decision is if I want to spend the additional cash for another Shield and Saver to fit the HDSI and pay the amount to upgrade to the HDSI ducer. Am I being foolish to spend this when the puck is an even up exchange? Am I going overboard because the Shield and Saver is a cool toy and a cool looking way to mount the ducer or is there an obvious benefit. As far as the interference (which is the primary concern at the moment) is the compact ducer more prone to the issue since it is right up at the motor compared to being a couple inches away as it would be with the Shield and Saver>

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:09 am

Andy,
I don’t know that the HDSi transducer is any better at blocking the RF energy from the trolling motor than the XTM-CSi (Trolling Motor Compact Side Imaging) transducer is – though you do bring up a good point in that the Transducer Shield & Saver holds the transducer farther away from the trolling motor. For RF interference distance is your friend as the farther away you get from the point of radiation the weaker that radiation will be. Still you won’t know which is better or if you even need one or the other until you strap something on the trolling motor and hit the water to test it.

Yes, if you want to exchange your new and unused CSi transducer for the HDSi transducer I believe that all you have to pay for is the difference in price and shipping.
I help because I can

aje3721

thanks again...

Post by aje3721 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:50 am

Yes, I would need to come up with the difference between the two transducers and shipping. It's just that after buying another 798, all the new wiring and already having bought one Shield and Saver for the standard transducer, the budget is somewhat past shot. The boss would have a melt down. I guess I could hold onto the new transducer, not use it, save some cash for a while and buy the HDSI and new Saver when I can swing it. Unfortunately that would mean not usingnthe second 798 for quite a while...

aje3721

Re: Transducers

Post by aje3721 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:12 am

Wayne P. wrote:
When I was dealing with RF interference with my Motor Guide Tour 36V motor, the choke and HDSI transducer did not completely solve it. That took an additional measure involving a ground wire.
Wayne... When you refer to the ground wire was it the ground between crank and TM batteries or the one from the pedal to the skeg. So many grounds, so little time!

WhompusFinder

Post by WhompusFinder » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:14 am

Well don't hang me for saying this but in my all my experiences and all the boards I've read MotorGuide is your best bet for a trolling motor. 90% of the interference threads I read involve MinnKota. I've had my hands on around a dozen trolling motors at this point in my life which isn't many I realize. But every MinnKota I ever used or saw my fishing partners use..................eventually broke. Some of them broke immediately. For me, Minn Kota is substandard. Now to be fair, I'm in one of the toughest areas in the country for trolling motors. Lake Seminole, Eufaula, Chattahoochee River, sloughs and hidden ponds. Stump fields that occupy square miles! Etc Etc. For example, my boat is an 2004 tracker 175 w 75 two stroke and a MotorGuide 43lb 12v that came on the boat from the factory. I fish 2-5 times a week for most of the year. That dang ole cheapo model I have was made for tracker marine boats but it's still running strong, never even managed to break the original prop on it! In fact the only thing that has wore is the mount. It still functions as it should, just has more squeaks and clicking noises when in use than a bass fisherman likes to have. Stealth is key to many areas I find myself in. MinnKota = interference first, breakdown later.
Are you wishin you were fishin? Not me......