Fogging issue

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
wildvet

Fogging issue

Post by wildvet » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:36 pm

After 5 years of trouble-free use, my 797c SI has acquired the dreaded foggy screen. Essentially, the center of the screen is "foggy" with only the periphery of the screen visible. In about 45-60 minutes, the fog gradually disappears and the screen is normal. Apparently this is not an uncommon problem because I found several reports on the internet. The solutions appear to be to remove the back and let it dry out or send it in to Humminbird for "service" (which might be the same operation!). Anyone had this problem and, if so, were you able to fix it and how did you do it? Thanks!

Rickard

Post by Rickard » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi,
I would try with removing the card hatch (and any card) and store the unit in a dry and warm place for a few days. It may work because air (and water...) can pass freely through the slot when the hatch is removed.

Rickard

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:45 am

Even better would be if you could power it on at the same time. The added heat that the unit produces will help drive out any moisture. Of course putting it in a sealed container that has some sort of desiccant pack in it will work too.

Actually I have not heard that many reports of units fogging lately.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

WhompusFinder

Post by WhompusFinder » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Use rice if you have no desiccant packs.
Are you wishin you were fishin? Not me......