798 ci hd di questions

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
Humminbird_Greg

Re: 798 ci hd di questions

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 am

Is this a new or used transducer?
$160 sounds low considering the MSRP for the XHS-9-HDSI-180-T is $269.99
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

zztop

Post by zztop » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:07 pm

Is the HD transducer really useful with the 798 since is does not have 800 KHZ capability ?

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:58 pm

zztop wrote:Is the HD transducer really useful with the 798 since is does not have 800 KHZ capability ?

Have you read all the posts on this thread???
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

TomC

Post by TomC » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:12 am

There was a webcite that had them on sale for 160 plus tax new, they sold out quick and were not taking backorders. I did find it for 200 new shipped to my house. Im waiting on its arrival and hope to have it sometime this week. I did get to play with a 798 that has the hd transducer and it was a big difference than mine.

I did have one question. When I have my unit out, ill have it on a particular sonar. When I turn the unit off and back on it goes back to the basic screen/map screen. Is this normal?

The other issue I have is that in 9'-12' fow it likes to show 30-40fow on the screen. After a few min it will show the correct depth.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:36 pm

TomC,
I believe that is correct operation for the 798 units (to default to a specific View when powered on).

See if this happens with the new transducer and see if it jumps to the deeper depth scale. My guess is that the unit is momentarily losing the correct water depth and jumping to a multiple return (2x the true water depth). Make sure that there are no other sonar units on when this is happening or that the trolling motor or some other electrical device on your boat is not causing this issue.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

TomC

Post by TomC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:23 pm

Ok, ill check it out. when ever I power the unit on it always starts on the screen that allows you to preview the screen shots. I should have the new transducer this week and ill be out texting it next week.

TomC

Post by TomC » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:11 am

Well I finally got out to try the new HD transducer. Its amazing the difference between the HD and the compact(original) ducer. The pics are clearer, sharper and over all way better than original. Im happy with this purchase! I do notice that there does seem to be a slight delay when going from screen to screen, switching thru the sonars thou.

I do have a question, when running in side imaging only mode, the little pic of the boat at the top of the screen rarely shows itself pointing up even thou im going in a straight line. Was sorta thrown off by that.

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:04 pm

TomC wrote:Well I finally got out to try the new HD transducer. Its amazing the difference between the HD and the compact(original) ducer. The pics are clearer, sharper and over all way better than original. Im happy with this purchase! I do notice that there does seem to be a slight delay when going from screen to screen, switching thru the sonars thou.

I do have a question, when running in side imaging only mode, the little pic of the boat at the top of the screen rarely shows itself pointing up even thou im going in a straight line. Was sorta thrown off by that.
That is because you have the unit set to navigate with that little boat icon.

If you don't want that feature turn it off. It is called SI Navigation in the menu Nav tab.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.