1198 & 798 Ethernet Interference + Fish Screenshots

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
dleaton83

1198 & 798 Ethernet Interference + Fish Screenshots

Post by dleaton83 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:26 pm

Hey Guys,

I recently got a 1198. It has been amazing for me and has helped me catch multiple limits of fish (mainly crappie) that I would have missed in the past. This makes for a ton of fun for myself and my 3 year old son. So, first here are some screenshots of the crappie we find using the 1198.
S00135.PNG
S00135.PNG (321.03 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
S00140.PNG
S00140.PNG (291.89 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
I already had a 798 HD and wanted to network the two together at my console. My setup is the:

-1198 with ethernet and with the HDSI transducer and a 2D sensor with a Y cable. On cranking battery.
-798 HD with ethernet cable only. On cranking battery.
-I pilot link terrova with ethernet cable (US2 not used). Choke installed on Ethernet cable before the switch. On trolling motor batteries.
-5 port ethernet switch. 1198, 798, Terrova connected. One additional cable connected to nothing (I move the 798 between console and bow). On cranking battery.

With just the 1198 on, everything is fine. With the 1198 and the terrova on, everything is fine. With just the 1198 and 798 on, a weird digital interference shows up in my image. As soon as I turn off the 798, it goes away. If I turn the 798 and wait until the ethernet connects, the interference comes back. It is clear the interference only happens as soon as the 798 and 1198 are connected via the ethernet cable. I am a little concerned that this isn't interference but the 1198 image processing being affected by its broadcasting ethernet packets. Here is a real world image of what is happening. Notice the DI getting a square wave-ish noise to the right. That is when the 798 connected via ethernet. You can see it in the SI as well near the top. You may have to zoom in but it is very apparent on the 1198. It makes reading everything pretty difficult.
S00141.PNG
S00141.PNG (326.86 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Additionally, I can reproduce it in my garage. Here is a full cycle of powering on the 798, letting it connect via ethernet, and powering it off. I realize this is a poor test at best but you can definitely see the signal change.
S00144.PNG
S00144.PNG (8.83 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
I am in contact with Humminbird support but I wanted to see if the community had experience with this. I am going to try a choke but I am not confident it will work. I had noise with the terrova when I first installed it. I put a choke on that and all the noise went away. That noise looked totally different than this. (Again, to be clear, this happens when the terrova is off and disconnected from the trolling motor batteries).

I love my Humminbird and Minn Kota equipment and am looking forward to getting this worked out. Thank you for your time!

dleaton83

Re: 1198 & 798 Ethernet Interference + Fish Screenshots

Post by dleaton83 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Hey guys,

I got the ferrite rings in and as near as I can tell, they made no difference. I ended up moving to a 1 to 1 connection so nothing else could cause issues (1198 direct to 798). I did notice something that concerns me. When the 798 connects to the 1198 via ethernet, I can hear my transducers slow down. This leads me to believe it is a software issue. I then tried only sharing GPS (no sonar) and my image cleans up. Again, this seems to make this a software issue. I will contact humminbird in the morning to see what they say. If anyone has this setup, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!