798c interlink and 757c

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
jonfur

798c interlink and 757c

Post by jonfur » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 pm

I have a 798c at the helm connected by an interlink to a 757c at the bow and worked fine for years. Last year I would lose gps signal at the 757c from time to time but really did not worry that much about it cause it always came back. This season I lost all gps function in the bow on the 757c. Thinking is was a interlink problem I purchased a new one and synced everything and the same thing happened. I also have a weathersense as well. Both units put at the helm work fine with gps. Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated

Humminbird_Greg

Re: 798c interlink and 757c

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:44 am

Did you update the software in either unit before this started happening?
What software version are you running in each unit?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

jonfur

Post by jonfur » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:03 pm

probably sometime after I did updates this started happening. I have 6.350 0n the 798 and 757 4.960. I did the original updates a couple of years ago. Did them again cause the 798 told me the 757 needed an update and was not compatible with the 798. But when I tried to do them both units said they were up to date no update needed.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:37 pm

The problem may be in the mismatched software between the two units. The InterLink works best when both units are using the same software level, like both using a 6.XXX version software.

I would first try switching the ports that the 798 and 757 units are connected to just to make sure it is not a bad cable or port on the InterLink itself.

You can try resetting the InterLink itself. This may not be the exact problem you are having but the same rest procedure may help. http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Supp ... deNetwork/
If that does not work, call the Humminbird Customer Service folks: 1-800-633-1468
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

jonfur

Post by jonfur » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks Greg for the reply.
I did finally get a hold of someone at Customer service. They told me the same thing about the software not being the same. The solution from them would be to send me software to bring my 798 back to the 4.6 version so I can use the interlink and my 757. However, they also said there is a good chance that it could crash the system and I would have to send the unit in to be repaired and get charged $200.00.
My problem with this is that after spending about $2000.00 for both units, interlink, and weathersense I have equipment that does not work the way it should. Had I known that doing the updates would keep my equipment from working the way it should I would not have done it. I did the updates that keep things current and I believe your suppose to do and now Im screwed. When I said this is no fault of my own to customers service there reply was "Well you did not have to do the updates". Are you f***** kidding me?
At this point Lowrance is starting to look pretty good.

jonfur

Post by jonfur » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Well I was trying to be optimistic and hope that when I loaded the older software that the unit would not crash. I was sadly mistaken. Downloaded the older version (4.5) to my 798 so my interlink will let my 798 talk to my 757 and 798 crashed. Keeps restarting and loading over and over. Anyone using interlink and has a unit that has updates with a version that goes higher than your second unit be prepared to bend over. Customer support said interlink is fazed out all together. DO NOT UPDATE YOU SOFTWARE if you plan on keeping your older units. Well looks like Im stuck with $1800 worth of garbage. Good luck

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:00 pm

There was a software warning for one of the 5.000 versions that stated when that was installed, do NOT go back to a software version lower than that as it would crash the unit.
I think that was due to a processing change with that software version.
Don't remember the exact version number though.

Evidently that is what has occurred. You will have to send it in to Humminbird to get the memory re-flashed.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.