New 798ci HD si, have SD card, transducer, trolling motor questions and possible bug

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
cat_in_the_hat

New 798ci HD si, have SD card, transducer, trolling motor questions and possible bug

Post by cat_in_the_hat » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Just purchased new 798ci HD si and hooked it up to battery, went through manual with unit in Simulation Mode.

First, the unit locks up solid when changing Setup, User Mode to Advanced then at Sonar, Max Depth, I try to change from Auto and the unit freezes completely showing 2ft, and can only be shut off by disconnecting battery. Happened 4x.

2nd, a previous post says maximum SD card size 32G, must be SDHC. Is this the best size to get, any recommendations on what is available on Amazon. Any precautions or suggestions appreciated.

3rd, unit came with transom transducer XNT 9 SI 180 T, would like to exchange for trolling motor unit, default choice XTM 9 SI 180 T, is there any other choice to consider?

4th, is trolling motor noise/interference a problem? I have Minn Kota Enduramax 55.

Humminbird_Greg

Re: New 798ci HD si, have SD card, transducer, trolling motor questions and possible bug

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:54 am

Does the unit lock up when doing this in the normal operation mode or just in the Simulation mode?

A 32GB SDHC memory card is the largest capacity memory card that will work with this unit but that does not mean that you need a memory card with this capacity. It really depends on what you are going to use the memory card for in regards to the size you need. A 32GB SDHC memory card would only be for someone who would be making a lot of sonar recordings in my opinion (or someone who got a killer deal on one…). Humminbird does recommend the SanDisk brand because they follow the SD Associations guidelines when building their memory cards, so our products have less problems using them.

Another, more expensive, choice would be the XTM-9-HDSi-180-T transducer or an XHS-9-HDSi-180-T transducer with an aftermarket trolling motor adapter bracket. The XTM version is the same transducer but with Humminbird’s trolling motor adapter bracket. Other companies make adapter brackets that protect the exposed transducer better than the Humminbird one.

Trolling motor (RF) interference can be a problem but there is no way of knowing if you will have it or not until everything is mounted and ready to go. If you do have problems, the Humminbird Customer Service folks (1-800-633-1468) can assist you.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

cat_in_the_hat

Re: New 798ci HD si, have SD card, transducer, trolling motor questions and possible bug

Post by cat_in_the_hat » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Thank you for your prompt response. I just got back from post office after shipping the 798ciHDsi back to Humminbird. I had called Humminbird tech support earlier this morning, we determined that the down arrow button on unit was faulty and for that reason alone the unit needed to be sent in for repair. I performed the sequence: Restore Defaults, User Advanced, then at Max Depth, attempted to change from Auto: in Simulation mode unit locked up 4x. In Normal mode with transducer 2x got sequence of four horizontal gray bars top to bottom, 1st time unit rebooted on its own after the four bar sequence, 2nd time unit locked up. Software version 7.030. Unit sent back for repair and in the same shipping box per tech support instructions separately enclosed transom mount transducer to exchange for the XTM 9 SI 180 T.

Is there any reason not to get the 32G Sandisk as prices are low? Do higher capacity cards have more potential problems then lower capacity cards as I've seen reference to? How much memory would I find useful if I wanted to fully record several hours on the water for later review? I plan on buying at least two memory cards as I saw references that it was better to use one card per body of water so as not to confuse Waypoints. Also, SanDisk has several classes of cards: Class 4 SDHC, Ultra Class 10 SDHC, and Extreme UHS-I/U3 SDHC, any suggestions or recommendations? I assume Extreme Pro would be overkill given the expense.

Planning on getting Humminbird Lakemaster 2015 software by fishing season. The website states the April 2015 software update will include lakemaster Plus support for the 798ciHDsi unit. Would this update be required to use the standard 2015 Lakemaster release? What advantages would the Plus version get me over the standard software? Thank you.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:14 am

Well I hope that they get your 798ci HD Si unit sorted out.

No, there is no particular reason not to get the 32GB SDHC memory card except for the cost. If you are going to make many sonar recordings the larger capacity the card the better but you should consider limiting the record time to about 30 minutes due to file size. Really, the file size gets back to your computer specs and any program that you may use them with. Playing them back on a Humminbird unit, the 30-minute size keeps you from having to fast forward or reverse through long periods of recordings. A speed class rating of 6 or 8 would be fast enough. Anything more is definitely overkill.

No, the upcoming software for the 798ci HD Si unit is not needed for the standard LakeMaster mapping cards. The LakeMaster Plus mapping cards have extra features that the unit’s need programming for to use them.

I don’t know what map region you are looking at but if you look at the details for the LakeMaster Plus map, it will list the additions that it has over a standard LakeMaster map.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can