898 HD SI - erratic depth readings

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
mtvlandman

898 HD SI - erratic depth readings

Post by mtvlandman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:47 pm

I have a 898 HD SI combo that is about 2 years old. The depth readings are erratic. At times it will work fine ( usually not more than for 10 – 15 minutes), while often it is erratic, working correctly 75% of the time, then going nuts for a few minutes at a time. This is regardless of speed and regardless of other electronics being on such as trolling motor. Example: While in 5 – 10' of water, it can read anything from 1.6' to 130', jumping all over the place. Typically it will end up getting locked in at 1.6'. Any time I reboot the unit, it begins working correctly again for a few minutes. Actually, it always starts out working correctly.

This problem has not improved although I have changed boats. It was professionally installed by hummingbird dealers both times (different dealers), and I have had the transducer adjusted by them several times as well, trying to solve this problem. I have tried to be sure the cable is not adjacent to other cables. My dealers are not convenient, thus one reason for still having this problem for so long, I need a new advice.....

JOHN C.

Re: 898 HD SI - erratic depth readings

Post by JOHN C. » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:23 pm

I also have that same problem (VARYING DEPTH FIGURES) which is even compounded more-so when the trolling motor is turned on. I have had a PYLE viewing monitor installed on the bow so as to view my 898ci HD SI while running the troll motor...BUT experience a very distort ed PYLE screen and 898 screen! The PYLE unit is connected to ONE of the forward trolling batteries-I have three batteries-36V Minn Kota. The 898 is connected to the main start battery. Was told that possibly there is a sort of 'energized magnetism' affecting the transducer cable going from the console mounted 898 to the outside stern location. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO CORRECT THIS PROBLEM???

Bglide

Re: 898 HD SI - erratic depth readings

Post by Bglide » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:51 pm

I am having the same issue...i did check back of unit and found lose connection with transducer cable( even though it was in the HB bracket) i slightly bent a few of the prongs and it plugged in more firmly...appeared to work better for a few days, but back to erratic readings..while running at slow/high speeds. I re -positioned the transducer to not shoot rooster tail..thought i had it but then back to 1.6 depth reading. I have a friend that mounted his ducer on the left side of transom and had good success. Bass pro mounts all their trackers boats on the left side...could this be a fix? I fish out of a Fisher Pro180..115 optimax...any thoughts on this option?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.