3 questions 798ci HD SI: jigging mode, encryption, date/time

Anything Related to the Humminbird 11xx, 9xx, 8xx, 7xx also known as CORE series Units
cat_in_the_hat

3 questions 798ci HD SI: jigging mode, encryption, date/time

Post by cat_in_the_hat » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:17 pm

Last year fumbled through using the 798 unit software version 7.680 while fishing,use compact sidescan transducer, no external accessories, 32G SD card and Lakemaster Plus NE card installed. Just spent some time reading the manual cover to cover, have three questions not answered by searching manual PDF, Humminbird FAQ and this forum:

1. Exploring, managed to click Encrypt SD Card without really meaning to. Exactly what does this mean and what did i do to my 32G SD card? Will I have a problem reading it with HumminbirdPC once i figure out how to use that program?

2. Exactly what does Jigging Mode mean with my equipment configuration? What would be the desired setting or the advantage to either choice ON or OFF?

3. How is Date and Time set in simulation mode or in actual use? Cannot tell, GPS Diagnostic view says 06/14/08 1:50:21PM. Turned off and on, time then 12:54:29PM.

Wayne P.

Re: 3 questions 798ci HD SI: jigging mode, encryption, date/time

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:16 pm

That unit is three generations old now, new stuff won't be any any manual.

1. Encrypt card adds a folder to download the purchase of a single Lakemaster map via Chart Select. Delete that folder on you memory card unless you want to purchase a Lakemaster map. You can only put ONE map on one card. 32 GB is a waste of memory for that.

2. Jigging mode adds two settings for 2D sonar. When the unit got software to support the 360, it screwed up the 2D sonar in favor of Side Imaging. With Jigging model ON, it sets the sonar ping sequence back to pre-360 for better 2D sonar using 83/200 kHz. Jigging Mode OFF puts the screwup back for better Side Imaging. You choose what has priority.

3. READ the manual for how to set the TIME ZONE and then you can turn on Daylight Saving Time.
The time itself is set by the GPS.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

cat_in_the_hat

Post by cat_in_the_hat » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:18 am

Thank you for clarifying jigging mode and date/time issues.

The Scandisk SD data card has 3 folders MATRIX, RECORD, and SNAPSHOT, and two files ENCRYPT.TXT and PROFILE.TXT. What needs to be deleted to remove encryption? As I have the Lakemaster Plus NE card also being installed I do not understand why I would be purchasing a map. How is it possible to download a single lake map to the SD data card? From where would this be downloaded?

I realize this unit was old, it was a chance to acquire a side scanning unit with excellent screen resolution with two card slots so both a data card and a Lakemaster card could be installed together, all for a closeout price of$499. This was a major purchase for a retired old guy on limited income. I had assumed that two card slots were needed to record wavepoints and tracks while viewing the lakemaster lake chart.On the scale of least cost, what current SI Humminbird units can record wavepoints and tracks while viewing the lake chart? Can this be done on units with only one card slot?

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:16 am

You should not have a Matrix folder on the card unless you are doing Waypoint management. After you do that, delete the folder.

Delete the Encrypt folder. If you want to purchase a Lakemaster Chart Select body of water, do that with another smaller card.

The Snapshot folder is there because you did screen snaphots.
The Record folder is there because you did recordings.

The Profile folder is created everytime you turn the unit on. That is unit data and you can leave as is.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.