Transducer mounting Matrix 97

Anything Related to the Matrix 97, 47, and 12 Systems
bbayjohn

Transducer mounting Matrix 97

Post by bbayjohn » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:54 am

Hi Greg, how r u?
Well im back to have a look at that transducer of mine.
I think I found the problems and may have the solution.
Just looking for your expert opion.

At 5knots I used to get a lot of clutter on 200khz and 80khz was totaly unreadable with the motor running. Solution moved cables away from other power cables.

Now I have a much clearer picture up to 7knots.
I own a polycraft 530 the hull is made of plastic about an inch thick.
As you can see in the pics, there are chines either side and a lot of air geting set down under the boat, so no clean water at the transum.
Something else you will see in the pic is a water pick up for deck wash thru hull, just infront of the transducer.
Possible solution
1 move transducer to another cleet line away from water pick up point.
2 mount trasducer on a slide plate to find cleaner water deeper in the water
Can I expect to get a clearer pic from my sounder ?
Or should I look at a shoot thru hull transducer or mount Plastic Flush Mount Thru the Hull Transducer ?
Cheers
BBJ

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:19 pm

BBJ,
I would try the slide plate first as it looks to give the best amount of adjustment to begin with. I would definitely move it outwards one chine as is shown in the picture with the slide plate.

Not sure how well we would be able to transmit through the plastic hull. Any idea if it is a single layer or how thick that layer would be? You could always just test it in some water like the attached images show.

Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

bbayjohn

Post by bbayjohn » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:35 am

Thanks Greg.
The hull is a seamless, dual skin design with an average hull thickness of 10mm for each skin ie. each boat has on average hull thickness of at least 20mm. Will have to do some tests I think maybe with the transducer mounted to a broomstick over the back looking for clean water. Can I expect better pictures without clutter at speds above plaining, if I go deeper and and futher to the side?
Cheers
BBJ

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:27 pm

BBJ,
It’s possible that deeper and to the side would work better but there is no sure way to tell without just trying it.

Hmmm, “dual skin design” sounds like there may be some foam or at least an air space in between the 10mm skins.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

bbayjohn

Post by bbayjohn » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:53 am

Yep about 40 kg of foam from memory and air pockets. Does make for an intresting install of a shoot thru hull transducer. Will go with the Sliding bracket for now and relocate. I will let you know how I get on. thanks for your help Greg. Much appreciated. Hope you have a great weekend.
Cheers
BBJ