Matrix 10 and GPS

Anything Related to the Matrix 97, 47, and 12 Systems
jemor143

Matrix 10 and GPS

Post by jemor143 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:34 am

Hi!
I just bought a Matrix 10, and plan to interface it with my GPS (Garmin Gpsmap 60csx, that input and output NMEA 0183, and can receive depth data). My goal is to save a tracklog with depth information, to map the bottom of a lake. I'm still waiting my accessory cable, so I cannot make the test right now. I wonder what would be the best way to do this. I see 3 options:
1. There is probably the "PC option": where I directly output "live" NMEA sentences into my laptop. But I'm not so sure about bringing my laptop fishin''.
2. Does the Matrix 10 (with a gps fix) can store tracks containing depth information? If so, can I later download these tracks into my PC using Humminbird PC?
3. Does the Matrix 10 (again, with gps fix) have the ability to output NMEA depth information directly into the same GPS?
[4.] Is it possible to plug 2 GPS? One to send GPS fix to the Matrix and the other (that can recevive depth) to receive the NMEA from the Matrix?
Thanks again!

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:05 pm

1. This may be the easiest option of the four you have listed.
2. I don’t think that the older Matrix 10 stores any depth data with the track data that it saves. I think that this capability was added in a later version of software that the Matrix 10 did not get.
3. The Matrix 10 can output NMEA sentences that also contain water depth. Which device it goes into is not limited by the Matrix 10 unit but it may be limited by the unit that receives it.
4. Same answer as in question 3: The Matrix 10 can output NMEA sentences that also contain water depth. Which device it goes into is not limited by the Matrix 10 unit but it may be limited by the unit that receives it.

5. (I added this one) Ditch the Matrix 10 and buy a Sonar-GPS Combo unit that has It’s own GPS Receiver as well as a memory card slot. Make a Sonar Recording of the area you want (keep recordings to about 30 minutes long so that they are easier to handle and search), than bring the unit back and play the Sonar recording on your new unit inside your house and use the NMEA output to make your map.
5. b. Do the same as in #5 but instead use one of the software packages listed here to generate your map:
http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php?board=17.0
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

jemor143

Post by jemor143 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:09 pm

You were right about the tracks: the Matrix cannot store depth data into the tracks.

more test to come...

jemor143

Post by jemor143 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:22 pm

Here’s an update on the various solutions :
The laptop option : it works, but it’s not that simple.
The matrix 10 does not store depth data in the tracks. It does in the waypoints, though.
I finally plugged the matrix 10 to my 60Csx, and they both exchange coordinates and depth, i.e. the 60Csx can store depth data directly in its track logs. It does not store temperature (don’t care). With that setup, I can fish all I want, without having to care about saving the tracks or waypoints, and I’ll have a precise log to analyze once at home.

about option 5: that would be great, a little pricy for me...
Thanks anyway!