Matrix 47 having issues

Anything Related to the Matrix 97, 47, and 12 Systems
NorthportTroller

Matrix 47 having issues

Post by NorthportTroller » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:37 pm

I have a Matrix 47. Bought it used from a friend of mine and it worked great for a year. This this year it froze up on me about 4 times in six trips. I would have to take it off the mount and put it back on and then it would work fine.

Another issue is the water temp on it is reading up to 140*. I have a separate temp sensor, transducer and GPS puck installed with this unit.

Other than these problems the unit works great. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:50 pm

The first suggestion would be to test it on another boat that is running a Matrix 47 3D unit or one of the other Humminbird 3D units as they all use the same transducer.

I would suspect that the freezing issue could be due to the boat wiring. Check your power wire connections from the unit all the way back to the battery. You want all connections soldered, tight and corrosion free including the fuse and the fuse holder.

You probably need a new TG-W Temperature Sensor.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

NorthportTroller

Post by NorthportTroller » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks for the reply hoss. I was out a few nights this week and it hasn't froze up at all. I think maybe it was doing htat because I would turn it on before I dropped the boat in the water.

However the water temp reading is still wacked and showin 140* + now, so I may have to buy another sensor for it. Is TG-W the name of the sensor I need?

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:28 am

Yes it is.
I help because I can

NorthportTroller

Post by NorthportTroller » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Humminbird_Greg wrote:Yes it is.
I appreciate the help friend I am ordering this and see how it works out. I will post results when the time comes. Thank you again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0529531795

NorthportTroller

Post by NorthportTroller » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:30 pm

Well the new sensor came in this week, will try and get it installed thie wekend. I am still having a freezing issue. And it seems to happen whenever the motor is cranked. So I believe it is getting a low voltage pulse and it freezes it up. My other project will be to run the power and ground wires directly to the battery instead of wiring into the dash feed and see if that helps keep a steadier current.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:29 am

I recommend that you install one of the blade type fuse holders when you rewire. These seem to hold up a lot better and give better overall contact between the fuse and fuse holder.
I help because I can

NorthportTroller

Post by NorthportTroller » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Humminbird_Greg wrote:I recommend that you install one of the blade type fuse holders when you rewire. These seem to hold up a lot better and give better overall contact between the fuse and fuse holder.
Yes, I have a few spare ones laying in the electrical parts bin in the garage. I try to keep everything on the boat fused with those. Glass fuses are for the birds. :wink: I need to load test my batteries too, seems like they are getting weaker for some reason. The water levels were fine when I checked them on Sunday. Will update next week.

NorthportTroller

Post by NorthportTroller » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 pm

I found a few problems to be what I am sure of the cause of these issues. First of all I did get the new water temp sensor and installed it and that works great now. I am finding that the dash is developing an electrical grounding problem, so I need to fix that. I will run a heavy ground wire from the dash to the battery to eliminate that problem.

A bigger problem though is the batteries. I have three on my Tracker. I took them all out and they all had good water elvels. I load tested each one. 2 of the batteries, which were put in in 2005 showed 12+ volts, but under a load they dropped to 3 volts! So they are trash. The 3rd battery is only a year old and load tested very well. So the bad batteries were actually a major cause of my voltage drops under load and messing up the fishfinder unit. I will install two new ones this weekend and that should do it. Will report my progress next week on this.

NorthportTroller

Post by NorthportTroller » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:36 pm

Just updating. After replacing the sensor and the two bad batteries everything is working fine now!!!!!! :D

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Good news!
I help because I can