Matrix 97 False Depth Readings

Anything Related to the Matrix 97, 47, and 12 Systems
lafromla1

Matrix 97 False Depth Readings

Post by lafromla1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Similar to another thread, I am having the same issue, for the last 6 years, in that everyone, including Hummingbird and other professional techs, keep telling me that my transducer is mounted in the correct spot, yet anything between idle and WOT give me readings in the hundreds of feet, and tons of fish, even if I am in 4'-16+' of water. It is very frustrating as this unit has never worked right since it was installed. I have changed transducers twice and even the head unit once.

I think it has something to do with having a jackplate and possible cavitation issues that presents, but they have all said that isn't the issue. I dont want to move it, again, just yet, as if I end up keeping the boat, I will want to put trim tabs on it and then that could open up another can of worms.

I have played with every setting to try and get it to work and changed the tilt on the transducer. Nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions?

Wayne P.

Transducer location

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Post a picture of your transducer installation for analysis.

A properly installed 2D transducer is not an issue with a jackplate, trim tabs, or cavitation issues.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

lafromla1

Post by lafromla1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Please note that there is a water pick-up strainer just to the left of the chrome outflow. I am sure that is not causing any issues, but if I were to have to move it closer to the centerline, that is where it is located.

Also, this was supposed to have been professionally installed.....but the marina where I purchased my boat closed at the beginning of the recession and when Boston Whaler purchased Sea Pro, Sea Boss and Sea Hunt as that is predominately what they sold.

Thank you for any assistance.

Wayne P.

Transducer

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:16 am

I can't see what the bottom of the hull looks like in any of the pictures. I need a picture at a level a little lower than the hull bottom to see along the bottom.

As far as what else is on the hull, it makes no difference. The transducer sends sonar pulses down and not to the sides like a Side Imaging units does. As long as there is no blockage directly below the face of the transducer it will work fine IF adjusted properly.

Does the unit read correctly when sitting still?

Is the hull material suitable for a shoot-thru transducer installation?

"Professionally installed" means nothing, I have seen "professionally installed" transducers mounted upside down, sideways, backwards, and various other incorrect positions.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

lafromla1

Post by lafromla1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:27 am

I will take the pics you requested when I get home today.

Yes the unit reads correctly when sitting still or at a slow idle.

It is a 2006 Sea Pro boat, if that helps any. I don't believe that there would be anything to discourage a shoot-thru transducer. One question, if I put in a shoot thru transducer, can I keep the original one for water temp? Does the shoot-thru have one cable strictly for depth reading/fish finding?

I had to chuckle at your 'professionally installed" comment as I had to continue tell the gentleman that was professionally installing my kitchen cabinets that he was off an inch and he kept telling me he wasn't till I measured it and showed him.

Wayne P.

Software version

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:40 am

What software version does the unit have?

I used to have a Matrix 97 and when I did the last update before I sold it, the depth readings were erratic so I reinstalled the former version.

The XP 9 20 T has a remote temperature sensor and is designed for shoot-thru and water temp.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

lafromla1

Post by lafromla1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:57 pm

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:30 pm

I’ve had to deal with the results of “professional” installed transducers before! All that term means is that someone paid them to install the transducer… not meaning to knock all professional transducer installers out there; but there are some that retire!

Wayne, looks like he should move the transducer more towards the keel. I don’t know if just lowering it farther downwards in the location he is in will help.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

Wayne P.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been fishing

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:47 pm

Greg, that is a good suggestion. Especially if the hull has enough lift at speed to have the transducer out of the water.

Before that is done, lower it about 1/2". The air gap between the hull and port side of the transducer is causing a lot of bubbles in the water that the sonar cannot transmit and receive through.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

lafromla1

Re: Sorry for the late reply, I've been fishing

Post by lafromla1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Wayne P. wrote:Greg, that is a good suggestion. Especially if the hull has enough lift at speed to have the transducer out of the water.

Before that is done, lower it about 1/2". The air gap between the hull and port side of the transducer is causing a lot of bubbles in the water that the sonar cannot transmit and receive through.
Thank you both for your assistance.

Can it be lowered within the bracket , or does the entire thing need to be removed from the hull, patched up and then lowered?

Also, the software version you requested reads 3.200 (although I can't see it being a software issue or all Matrix 97's that ran on this software would have an issue).

Wayne P.

Lowering

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:38 pm

If depends on where in the mount slots you put the screws if you have any downward adjustment. 1/4" may be enough.
You may want to consider a transducer mount block that is epoxied to the hull and the transducer is screwed to that. There are several versions with SternMate being one style.

The software version I had a depth issue with was 4.750. I also had installed 3.790 and 4.210 before.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

lafromla1

Post by lafromla1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:52 pm

So I have no play as the mount is screwed in at the top of the slots. Based on what you and Greg think, should I lower it in the same vicinity where it is, or move it towards the keel?

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:33 pm

If your boat gets anywhere near to lifting up on the stake to the left of the transducer; than I think that you should move it towards the keel. You are going to have to put another set of holes in the transom anyways…

You may want to consider installing one of those transducer installation boards that some marine retailers sell. This will allow you to move the transducer around some with adding more holes to the transom.

Have you considered going to an inside-the-hull installation?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

lafromla1

Post by lafromla1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:27 pm

I am going to put a flat mount on so i can attach the tranducer to it. then i was thinking of putting it between the chrome outflow and the flat part (strake?) to start with. Does that look like the best position?

Id like to try and work with what I have before dropping more $$ on a shoot thru-hull transducer.

Wayne P.

Moving transducer

Post by Wayne P. » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Either side of the chrome fitting or below it is fine.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.