Do I buy a new one?

Anything Related to the Matrix 97, 47, and 12 Systems
CamperD

Do I buy a new one?

Post by CamperD » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:27 am

I have a Matrix 27 Fishing system that came with my 2005 Four Winns 180 F/S - The unit started behaving badly - vertical lines and then would only come-on for a few minutes - now nothing - I spoke to customer service who said I could use the current tranducer with just about any new one - but was recommned the 727 - so is it the unit and I need to buy a new one or could it be something else - like the transducer or something? I don't mind buying a new one - but I want to be sure I don't buy it and it still do it because it's not the head unit -

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:04 am

CamperD,
The only way to know for sure would be to either ship your unit in to be tested at the factory or (much chealer) test another Humminbird unit on your boat and your unit on their boat. Our Customer Resource folks were right: almost any Humminbird unit will work on your transducer. Try testing another Matrix, 100, 300 or 700 series unit on your boat as these will all just plug right onto the same mount like your Matrix 27 does. You could also test it with a Piranha, PiranhaMax (PMax), 900 or 1100 series units as well but would have to take the power and transducer cables out of the unit mount base to do so. If someone else's unit works on your boat (or if your unit does not working on their boat), than the problem is in your unit. If their unit does not work on your boat (or your unit does work on their boat) , than the problem is the transducer or the transducer mounting.

If the problem is with your transducer there are some things you can check. You did not state where your transducer was mounted so I don't know what to suggest here.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

CamperD

Post by CamperD » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:03 am

ok - haven't had any luck finding someone with the same base - so a quick question - if I go to a retailer that has their systems set-up in simulation mode and connect to one of their connectors - will this tell me if it is the head-unit?

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:19 am

If the Matrix 27 will not turn on at all this would help. If it is turing itself off due to some internal component issue than it may not help at all. Hey it's worth a try though. I would plug it up and let it run for at least 30 minutes (if it will turn on and run that is).
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can