Software for viewing humminbird sonar logs

Official Firmware, Side Image Viewers, Map Overlays, 3rd Party Apps, etc..

Re: Changed my Mind on the compression!

Post by pmn929 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:08 pm

On the matter of compression, I think I have it figured out.

Stick with me here...

The head units have a fixed screen resolution, in my case with the 797 it is 640v x 480h.
In the sonar returns, we know how many pings there are, and also how wide a ping is in bytes.

I think it is a safe assumption that every byte in the ping return should translate to 1 pixel on the horizontal axis (if you are trying to build an image like you see on your unit).

In order to draw a picture like you see on your unit, you would do something similar to what Robert lists below where he compressed his width. He uses 1/3 the original size as an example, but I think it is more like the following (Looking at the Right Side Scan):
Pings: 409
Ping Length: 2,452 (150')
Image Height: 409 pixels
Image Width: 240 pixels (480/2 for half the screen) a scale factor of 0.09787 (240 / 2,452)

Now all this does is gives you the same small image you would normally see on your head unit anyway, and I ask, what is the fun in that? You don't want to be limited by a small width of 240 pixels.

So instead, we stretch the picture vertically and keep the width the same. This gives us as much horizontal resolution as possible. Still working with the Right Side Scan:
Pings: 409
Ping Length: 2,452 (150')
Image Width: 2,452
Image Height: 4,179 ... 409 / (240 / 2,452)

This of course will give you a huge image, but I scale it down another 50% after that to make it little more reasonable.

Here is an example of the right side of the screen when you turn the unit on in Simulator mode (This is just a thumbnail, click the image for the full picture 258kb):
Picture removed to save bandwidth

rgecy wrote:Well guys, I changed my mind onthe compression issue. I still don't think we are losing any data, all the pings are recorded, just the pixel width is compressed. Check out the same image from above that I squashed to 1/3 of original. I kept the pixel height the same but changed the width.

What do you think?

I am going to try to put the boat in tomorrow and scan some structure. I will also capture some screen stills for comparrison. That should give us a great idea of what the scale is.

Any updates on this project?

Post by SpineyNole » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:47 pm

I am a engineer in the defense industry and am in the process of building my own viewer application. Are there any updates to the SON format beyond what is listed here?

Greg... Any movement in HB providing a format specification for the SON format?

Is it possible to use this software on a Mac?

Post by Skip48 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:58 pm

I have a PC ac well, but like the Mac more and just want to know if it will work on my Mac.