Humminbird Sonar Data File Converter - Download!

Official Firmware, Side Image Viewers, Map Overlays, 3rd Party Apps, etc..
RGecy

Humminbird Sonar Data File Converter - Download!

Post by RGecy » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:52 am

Well, Here it is! The following link is to the HBSI Sonar Data File Converter Windows Installer download. The program will convert the Humminbird Sonar Files to different Sonar File Formats that can be played back on the PC with the corresponding viewer.

HBSI Sonar Data File Converter

This release is 1.01 and includes the YellowFin .872 Converter and the Deep Vision Technologies .dvs Converter. You can download the Viewers at the following links.

YellowFin109c_Installation.zip

Deep Vision Technologies - Deep View FV

The YellowFin Viewer is by far a more capable Freeware player and offers the option to save the .872 File over to XTF Format. Deep Vision offers more capable Viewers on their site, but they are not Free. They do offer the DeepView SE that will do playback and mosaic.

There is a help file with the program and links to the downloads above as well. If you have any problems with the install or any questions, please use this post as a support forum. We would like to hear feedback on the Unit you use, the software version, and the file sizes you have successfully converted. So far, we know it works on the 987 with ver. 3.740, the 997 with ver. 3.63, and has successfully converted up to a 428Mb file. It should work fine on the other units as well, but would like to confirm this.

As new versions and updates become available, they will be posted here.

I want to note that uvbraze and boogman helped me tremendously on this project and we are continuing to work on a dedicated HB Viewer. As soon as we have something to post we will put the source code up for everyone. If anyone wants the source for this project, please email me directly through this site.

I also want to thank everyone else who helped on the SON files, hydrograph, peter, JB, pmn929 and Craig for the use of this site.

Thanks,

Robert Gecy

Last edited by RGecy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

diver651

Post by diver651 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:37 pm

If I may inquire, what are you working to convert the files to?

In an effort to aid with development of a means to review the HB images, I can provide a working copy of the Marine Sonics viewer, and a number of files for comparison. I am not sure of if the conversion is possible, but if the data can be converted, then that may be easier than building a program that has all of the bells and whistles.

diver651

File Converter

Post by diver651 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:14 pm

My previous post must have somehow passed yours in the ether - even though the times are much different.

Since no one else seems to have jumped in on this yet (that I have seen), let me be the first to stand up and give you all a loud round of applause. These two viewers give a good indication of how much data the HB actually stores in the files.

I look forward to the possability of other conversion options in the future.

Well done and a big pat on the back to boot!

Craig
Site Admin

Post by Craig » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm

That happened because he edited his post at a later time and therefore it did not show up in the newly posted items, so people might have missed it.

Well done on the software!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work.
Status - Site Creator & Admin
Occupation - Electrical Engineer
Boat - Ranger 482VS
Bass Club - Gadabout Bass Masters

Barry

Post by Barry » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:45 pm

Humminbird 797 recordings I am having problem when do the conversion. Get an error message

" Unhandled exception has occurred in your application....

Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of collection.

Parameter name: index"

Tried this with several different recordings that I had saved to PC. Do I maybe need to read from SD card directly?

Thanks for all your hard work in putting this together. I have been following the efforts here and is way above my tiny brain. I'll try it tomorrow off SD disk and see if that makes difference. Where is this negative coming from?

Here is what the losded recording show on the data file window

File Name R00015.SON
Date Sunday April 29,2007
Time 4:38:48 PM
Length 9.51 min.sec
Lat/Long 39.494235 N, -88.694014 W
File size 11.46MB
Pings 4019

Barry Featheringill

RGecy

Post by RGecy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:52 am

Barry,

What software version are you using?

Can you email me the R00015.dat file and the B002.son file from in the R00015 folder?

Thanks for posting so we can work these little kinks out!

Robert

scubadude

Post by scubadude » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:42 pm

Diver651, have you gotten anywhere with your Marine Sonic stuff?

RGecy

New Version Uploaded!

Post by RGecy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:31 am

There is new version posted on the download site that fixed a small problem that Barry found in his recordings. The issue was a simple if-then statement that needed to be changed and has been fixed. Barry's file header was a little different. Instead of the time offset in the first header being 0, it was 86. Not sure if the file was corrupted, or if it is the Humminbird Software.

I am hoping to work with Craig on getting the ftp set up so we can have people upload their .son files to help troubleshoot any issues.

Here is the link to the download. You will need to unistall the previous version first through the control panel.

HBSI Sonar Data File Converter

Thanks,

Robert

bigriver

Post by bigriver » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:31 pm

Just wanted to thank all those involved in this effort, like uvbraze, boogman, rgecy, pmn929, peter_l, JB., the HB guys(sorry if I forgot a few). I have lurked on this board for several months prior to purchasing a 797c2 a month ago. I downloaded the first version on Thursday and had the same problem that Barry had. The new version seems to work quite well. Thanks for coming up with the fast fix.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I really appreciate your efforts.

-Matt

tlitts13

Awesome

Post by tlitts13 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:43 pm

Thanks to all who worked to develop the .SON converter. We have used it sucessfully. Great job!

diver651

Post by diver651 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:15 pm

scubadude wrote:Diver651, have you gotten anywhere with your Marine Sonic stuff?
Forgive me, but the recent weather and my "real" job has kept my hands full. Where was I going :? ?

I would like to see a converter for the HB files to Marine Sonic files, but I think Rgecy has his hands full with the wonderful converters he recently released. Is there something I can be doing to help to provide data so it can be looked at if time permits?

Please feel free to clue me in if I am missing something.

RGecy

Post by RGecy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:48 am

I already have the Marine Sonic file format in the works. It will be a while before I can get to it, but if someone else wants to have a crack at it, we can certainly work together on it.

Robert

ageo

Thankyou for creating the converter

Post by ageo » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:39 pm

To those individuals that assisted in creating these HB converter, I wish to say a very big THANK YOU. I am currently examining the further conversion of data into the GIS world. This is a start and a great help.

ARI

uvbraze

Post by uvbraze » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:02 am

!
Last edited by uvbraze on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RGecy

Post by RGecy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:06 am

ageo,

Thanks for your feedback and welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing more on using the images in GIS.

Please keep us up to date.

Thanks,

Robert Gecy