PC Cable and unit problems

Official Firmware, Side Image Viewers, Map Overlays, 3rd Party Apps, etc..
Jonesy007

PC Cable and unit problems

Post by Jonesy007 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi all I am only new to using fish finders. I currently have a Humminbird 718x and brought a PC cable for it and also a serial to USB connector. When I open the Humminbird’s software my unit shows up for a few minutes and then disappears. This happens before any unit data can be downloaded. It shows up with the two upload and download arrows but when you click on them before the unit disconnects it says download data error.
I downloaded and older version of Humminbird software which it allows for enough time to get a unit profile and the disconnects from that too.

Any help would be great.
Jonesy007

Moose1am

Re: PC Cable and unit problems

Post by Moose1am » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:03 pm

I just ordered the PC Cable and the USB to serial port adaptor. I don't know why Humminbird can't just make a PC to Humminbird connection that's usb too. That adaptor cost a lot of money!

Most newer computers don't come with serial port connectors anymore. At least my new ASUS didn't. My older Dell still have a Serial Port Connector but it's a slow computer with an old Intel Pentium 1 Ghz CPU.

I wish that humminbird would come out with some new software for waypoint management soon.

Sorry but I can't help you with that problem. Perhaps Humminbird-Greg will respond. So I'll bumb this up.
Jonesy007 wrote:Hi all I am only new to using fish finders. I currently have a Humminbird 718x and brought a PC cable for it and also a serial to USB connector. When I open the Humminbird’s software my unit shows up for a few minutes and then disappears. This happens before any unit data can be downloaded. It shows up with the two upload and download arrows but when you click on them before the unit disconnects it says download data error.
I downloaded and older version of Humminbird software which it allows for enough time to get a unit profile and the disconnects from that too.

Any help would be great.
Jonesy007
Regards:

Moose1am

SilmarilS

Post by SilmarilS » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:41 am

If someone needs a USB/serial adapter cheap, check that link:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-to-rs2 ... reen-24512

I've got mine there, and with free shipping. But it's slow to come in the mail.
At least I didn't pay 30$ for a local one!

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:45 am

Jonesy007,
I can’t help you on this. Maybe it’s the version of Windows that you are running? Call the Humminbird Customer Resource folks and see if they can offer a suggestion or two. 1-800-633-1468
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

scottd

maybe this will help

Post by scottd » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:38 am

If your using the prolific brand name usb to serial cable and windows 7 the driver for that cable may not work right but only if your using windows 7 . the prolific brand cable has no branding on it. it's transparent blue on one end and has a silver cable. The place i work for / and with ( not Humminbird at all) has done a lot of testing on this and found the only brand that realy works on windows 7 is the moxa uport 1110 series here's a link http://store.moxa.com/a/product/uport-1 ... 0090317005 but look out for sticker shock on it. but it works hope this is help :wink:

Moose1am

Re: maybe this will help

Post by Moose1am » Sat May 07, 2011 8:49 am

Will the Humminbird USB to Serial Adaptor work? Humminbird Part # 760018-1, AS USB
I have the Humminbird Part #700035-1, AS PC2 or the PC Connection Cable and want to hook this up to my 898 C SI unit and my Windows 7 Computer.

I think that Humminbird needs to hire some more programmers or feed them better to make them work faster and better. They need to update their software to keep up with the new windows OS and their new Humminbird Depth Finder Products.

I would hate to think that just because I tried to stay up to date that the software drivers won't allow my new equipment to work. I might as welll send them back to Humminbird if they won't work right. I have yet to even open the boxes.
scottd wrote:If your using the prolific brand name usb to serial cable and windows 7 the driver for that cable may not work right but only if your using windows 7 . the prolific brand cable has no branding on it. it's transparent blue on one end and has a silver cable. The place i work for / and with ( not Humminbird at all) has done a lot of testing on this and found the only brand that realy works on windows 7 is the moxa uport 1110 series here's a link http://store.moxa.com/a/product/uport-1 ... 0090317005 but look out for sticker shock on it. but it works hope this is help :wink:
Regards:

Moose1am