software issue version 5.840 ?

Official Firmware, Side Image Viewers, Map Overlays, 3rd Party Apps, etc..
markpla

software issue version 5.840 ?

Post by markpla » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:36 pm

I am experiencing jumping GPS speed when trolling slowly. This occured after updating to version 5.840, I did not have this behaviour using 5.410.

I checked both HDOP and GPS fix. These parameters seems stable. Is there a known issue with this software version?

If yes, when is new update available?

Wayne P.

Jumping map curser

Post by Wayne P. » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:19 pm

That little gem is a result of Humminbird owners wanting their units to act like a Lowrance unit and were complaining about the "donut hole" at slow speeds.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

WhompusFinder

Post by WhompusFinder » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:51 pm

The donut hole has never really bothered me. I just took it as a "fixed" position when stationary. Is that what you mean?
Are you wishin you were fishin? Not me......

Wayne P.

Donut Hole

Post by Wayne P. » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Yes, that particular function had been complained about by crappie fishermen the most.
Other fishermen that slow trolled added to the complaint list.
The Humminbird GPS antenna is so accurate that now the map curser wanders all over at slow speeds. It is too good to be dumbed down to be like a Lowrance unit which has less accuracy.
One good thing about it is Humminbird listens to their customers. I hope that group is happy.
Last edited by Wayne P. on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

WhompusFinder

Post by WhompusFinder » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:18 pm

I understand what you mean now. And yea those crappie fishermen are a breed of their own. I wish one of them would let me ride in back seat and learn some real crappie fishing knowledge. I was at Seminole this past weekend. We were bass fishing and my friends' dad was just up the way from us catching absolute slabs. Some were well over two pounds!
Are you wishin you were fishin? Not me......

markpla

Post by markpla » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:59 am

Still I have not got any explanation. What I am describing is the fact that the HB GPS speed calculation algorithm does not perform well. Even though the GPS fix, HDOP and Estimated Position Error are of good quality the calculated GPS speed differs from 0 to 2mph when at fixed position and speed, this is not acceptable. It should not be too difficult to adjust the firmware SW filtering to handle this.

Yeah, keep on eating donuts and fishing crappies Alabama boys.

Greg, would you mind to comment this GPS calculation issue. Do I have defekt unit or is this a common issue?

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:49 pm

markpla,
Have you tried going back to the 5.410 software to confirm that this is related to the 5.840 version software?

What slow boat speeds are you seeing this at?

I would not say that it is a common issue considering I have heard about it from few people and the thousands of these that we have built and are in use today.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

markpla

Post by markpla » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:55 am

Thanks Greg I apprechiate the quick response.

I am trying to trace down the problem before returning the unit for warranty. The unit has difficulties obtaining and displaying stable GPS indication at 1-2knots.

I noticed this when I updated to version 5.840. However, have not yet tested download earlier versions, of course there may be some HW defect in my unit.

I assume the GPS chipset has very high update frequency and speed calculation is based on calculated average of consecutive samples.

My questions are:

1. Is the GPS speed in diagnostic view same as displayed in other views?

2. Is the speed delivered by GPS chipset manufacturer or HB proprietary function?

3. Is there any user configurable parameter settings in unit that affects the calculated displayed speed e.g track points interval settings or similar params?

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:17 am

The update rate should be at four or five times per second.

1. It should be the exact same speed shown in all of the Views.

2. The Speed is sent through the VTG NMEA sentence from the GPS Receiver.

3. No there is not.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

wscaman

I have this version on my 798,997, & 1197 not on my 898S

Post by wscaman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 pm

When will version be available to download for my 898SI , currently it's a 5.7 I am allowed to update to in my account.

Wayne P.

wscaman

Post by Wayne P. » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:51 pm

The newest update will be soon. Humminbird held up the 5.840 version for the 898, 998, and 1198 to add some additional upgrades.
5.840 is the issue that adds the new Waypoint Mangement to the unit.
If you haven't seen the announcement, the 898 and 998 will have a change of the data boxes on the left side of the SI view so you can have full screen width.
Stay tuned, you will like the lastest stuff.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.