Pinout connection for AS-PC3 cable?

Official Firmware, Side Image Viewers, Map Overlays, 3rd Party Apps, etc..
the fisher

Pinout connection for AS-PC3 cable?

Post by the fisher » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:44 am

Hello everyone, first I want to introduce myself. My name is Santiago and I am from Argentina, I like saltwater fishing and I have a semi-rigid 16-foot boat with which usually go fishing with my father.
I recently bought a Humminbird 345c DI.
That said I would like to consult on whether there is information regarding the connection pinout of AS-PC3 cord, because my fishfinder was brought from USA by a friend and here in Argentina and I can not buy any accessories. I am an electronics technician and would like to make a homemade cable.
On the other hand I wonder if there is a possibility to replace the firmware of my fishfinder to become International because it has only English language and units in feet and would like to have Spanish language and units in meters.
Finally I apologize for my bad English, I speak Spanish and I strive to learn and understand English.
Best Regards,

Santiago

Humminbird_Greg

Re: Pinout connection for AS-PC3 cable?

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:06 pm

Welcome to the Unofficial Humminbird Forums Santiago.

View the attached for information about the PC Connect cable. If this is not what you want just let me know.
No, the unit cannot be switched from a Domestic (English only) unit to an International model unit.
No problems with your English. I was born in the U.S.A. and still can’t understand some of my countrymen (nor can they understand me)! :mrgreen:
Attachments
AS-PC Connect  PC Cable Connections.jpg
AS-PC Connect PC Cable Connections.jpg (54.48 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

the fisher

Post by the fisher » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Humminbird_Greg wrote:Welcome to the Unofficial Humminbird Forums Santiago.

View the attached for information about the PC Connect cable. If this is not what you want just let me know.
No, the unit cannot be switched from a Domestic (English only) unit to an International model unit.
No problems with your English. I was born in the U.S.A. and still can’t understand some of my countrymen (nor can they understand me)! :mrgreen:
Hi Humminbird_Greg,
Thanks for your quick response, I think that pinout is an old cable with a RS-232 connection type.
I was referring to the AS-PC3 USB cable connection. On the official website of Humminbird mention this cable for the connection to the PC and later firmware update. Maybe this type of RS-232 also works on my device but I do not know.
If someone has a AS-PC3 cable and a multimeter tester, I can guide you so you can take the pinout of it.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:39 pm

Doh!
You are correct, that is the AS-PC2 cable… I don’t seem to have the same information for the AS-PC3 cable, sorry.
I’ll have to ask around about this but it could take a couple of weeks as this is Thanksgiving week for us.
I help because I can

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:20 am

the fisher,
Send me a direct e-mail about this. I don’t have confirmed information yet so I don’t want to post it on the web.
I help because I can

Madmanjay

Post by Madmanjay » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:36 pm

HI,

I also have a Helix 5 Sonar and would like to make my own PC3 cable so that I can update to the latest firmware.

Has anyone got the pinouts figured out yet?

I find it ridiculous that in this day and age that they would release a product that can't be updated unless you spend a small fortune on a proprietary cable. They should have just included a standard USB port on the side of the thing.

Madmanjay

Post by Madmanjay » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:16 pm

Hi,

Just an update on this.... Success!

I have successfully made my own AS-PC3 cable.... My first attempt was to make a USB cable and I followed the diagram for the serial version of the cable. Its pretty straight forward... GRD, Transmit, Receive... three cables... simple so I thought. However, for whatever reason the USB cable just wouldn't work.

So I implemented plan B which was to build a SERIAL cable using the pin-out diagram that is posted online already. This version of the cable worked like a charm for me.... the hardest part was finding an older computer that had a serial port on it. You could probably use Serial to USB adapter but I happen to have a laptop that had a serial port sitting around. :-)

Anyway, I am happy to report that my Helix Sonar is now running the latest software (7.7.30)

She isn't pretty but it gets the job done.... btw... I have the PTC portable kit so I just used the battery power from that when I updated.

20160728_175520[1].jpg
20160728_175520[1].jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 2364 times
20160729_201131[1].jpg
20160729_201131[1].jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 2364 times