US Domestic version with GPS working in Europe

Official Firmware, Side Image Viewers, Map Overlays, 3rd Party Apps, etc..
ThomasK13

US Domestic version with GPS working in Europe

Post by ThomasK13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:10 am

Hi,
I own a HB 668CI HD DI in the US domestic version. I could deal with the units in °F and feet, that’s not a real problem. I bought this unit with internal GPS also to create deep maps of the lake where I go fishing. Now it seems that the GPS does not work precise enough to do this. My question: is this related to the US version or does my unit has a problem with the GPS receiver? The time and date is displayed right. The position which is displayed on the unit seems to be 20km away from the real place according to Google. When I turn on the unit and keep it on one place, it shows already a continuous movement on the screen.
Did a have a chance to get the GPS working precise enough to create maps?
Thanks in advance

Humminbird_Greg

Re: US Domestic version with GPS working in Europe

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:55 am

This should not have anything to do with it being a Domestic version unit.
20km is a long ways off. Were you suing the same coordinate format when you compared it to Google?
Was the unit inside or outside with unblocked site of the satellites when you saw this?
What are the GPS Fix, HDOP and EPE numbers you are seeing (will have to bring up the GPS Diagnostic View for these)?
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

ThomasK13

Post by ThomasK13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi Greg,
I put the data I saw on the screen in Google and the difference was the result. Maybe the format of the coordinates are not the same. Attached there are 3 pictures taken out of a video of minute. One at the beginning, one in the middle and one of the end. The Fishfinder remained on the same place without moving 1 cm (or inch :wink:). It was beneath the blue sky with direct access to the satellites. The first point which was irritating me was the various speed I saw on the display, so I thought there must be something wrong.
Any idea which helps would be much appreciated.
Attachments
gps3.JPG
gps3.JPG (140.06 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
gps2.JPG
gps2.JPG (137.47 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
gps1.JPG
gps1.JPG (171.68 KiB) Viewed 3029 times

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:48 pm

The satellites are not in stationary orbits. Since they move, the receiver interprets that as motion and displays it as speed based on the number of satellites being tracked.
The number of satellites that are providing position data is low, so that gives you the high EPE number and the high HDOP number. More satellites= higher accuracy.

This is what I get with a couple of my Humminbird Side Imaging units:
In both cases I was moving on the water.

Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

ThomasK13

Post by ThomasK13 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:04 am

With my handheld Garmin I get a much more precise position. This unit find also more satellites than the HB on the originally same place.

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:44 am

ThomasK13,
Wayne is right in that more satellites = better accuracy (up to a point) and your 688ci HD DI is only tracking eight satellites at best in the pictures you posted. Now it is not using a signal from those eight as it is only showing that it is receiving a signal from four of them. This is the minimum needed for a “3D Fix”. A fourth satellite would help here. Satellites 6, 21 and 24 are all low on the horizon so the GPS Receiver may not be receiving a signal from them. What I don’t understand is why it is not receiving a signal from satellite #2 which is higher up on the horizon. Something was physically blocking the signal (your body perhaps?) or it would have shown something for a signal strength. I don’t have the means to tell what satellites should have been visible at that date/time for your location but the distance and speed jump is consistent with the higher HDOP number that it is showing.

I think your best option here to help figure this out would be to test another Humminbird that has an internal GPS Receiver side-by-side with the one to see if there is a difference in the satellite signals received and HDOP numbers.
I help because I can

ThomasK13

Post by ThomasK13 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:56 am

Thanks Greg,

I will try first to compare more detailed with my Garmin and the looking for one with a 688 international version.
One last question: When I enter the displayed position coordinates into Google should I get the exact position or is the displayed information not exact enough? I tried to compare with Garmin but with this coordinates I found in Google also not the exact position. On the map in Garmin I was absolute at the right point (with a displayed error of 4 meter = 13 feet).

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:26 am

It should be pretty close ThomasK13 but you have to match the waypoint coordinate format in one to the other. The coordinates are shown in a Degree/decimal minute format (dd mm.mmm) in the Humminbird, so you have to use the same in Google Earth. A more accurate format would be the all degree (dd.ddddd) setting. Keep in mind though that the unit thinks it has a 35 foot error.
I help because I can