domestic and international

Official Firmware, Side Image Viewers, Map Overlays, 3rd Party Apps, etc..
hd2006

domestic and international

Post by hd2006 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:16 am

is there any way to make an domestic to an international item so it is possible to change in metric measures. humminbird support says no way. but maybe anyone knows something. i will not pay 2500 euros in eutope fore the same thing that i will pay in us about 700 $. thanks for help

blasir

Post by blasir » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:47 pm

THE ONLY WAY TO HAVE THE UNIT CHANGED IN INTERNATIONAL IS ...........

SELL YOUR HUMMINBIRD AND NEVER BUY ANOTHER HUMMINBIRD AGAIN...

I TRIED TO CONTACT EVERYBODY TO ASK THE UPGRADE OF MY UNIT FROM USA VERSION TO INTERNATIONAL VERSION, BUT EVERYBODY SAID THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE BECOUSE A LOT OF EXCUSES.

HUMMINBIRD SHOULD PROVIDE A POSSIBLE UPGRADE IF REQUESTED BY CUSTOMERS.

I BOUGHT MY 997C SI WHILE I WAS LIVING IN US LAST YEARE. NOW I MOVED BACK TO ITALY A CANNOT LET MY DAD USE MY UNIT BECOUSE HE IS NOT CONFIDENT WITH FEET OR MILES.

I ASKED HUMMINBIRD ASSISTANCE TO HELP ME TO FIND A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM BUT THEY TOLD ME TO BUY AN EUROPEAN CX MODEL......UNBELIVABLE....

TONS OF EXCUSES (OR SHOULD I SAY POUNDS OF EXCUSES). THE ONLY REASON IS COMMERCIAL REASON. THEY SELL THE SAME UNIT AT 2000 $ MORE IN EUROPE THAN IN USA AND THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMER.

DO NOT BUY HUMMINBIRD ANYMORE AND THEY WILL PROBABLY CHANGE THEIR POLICY

hd2006

Post by hd2006 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:28 am

Hi, thanks for answer. that is exactly what we must do. i found out the same as you wrote. i will not pay 2000 euros for exact the same thing. so let´s hope they will change their methods

blasir

Post by blasir » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:46 pm

THIS IS WHAT MORGAN WROTE ME A COUPLES OF DAYS AGO.... UNBELIVABLE

FROM MORGAN
wouldn't blame Humminbird, I'd blame the regulatory agencies in Europe which require Humminbird to get the CE and C-tick marks on their products. Testing to those standards costs money. They have to make a profit some way. So either save the money buy getting a domestic unit and learning feet and fahrenheit (relatively simple to do), or pay full price for the European unit and get your meters and celcius.

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:46 pm

THIS WAS MY ANSWER
nothing to say.. but other companies think different and they sells all their products in international version sometimes at lower prize than humminbird. this is only a commercial reason and not a production extra cost as they wanna us believe. as you say Humminbird have to design a different chip to allow the system to accept international settings. this is possible but explain european customers why this cost aprprox 3 times of the original prices of US version.

EXPLAIN THIS

In USA the average price is 1,700 USD

IN EUROPE the average price is equal to 4,300 USD (2,700 EUR)

They should change their mind and allow a kind of upgrade for US products. otherwise they will loose customers around the world like me. it's a pity because humminbird is a good product but is the international policy is not attractive for customers.
They are loosing customers and they will loose me and other friends of mine here in europe.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:33 am

I strongly doubt that Humminbird has a separate production line for international products, I guess it's only a matter of firmware. I am pretty confident that loading international firmware on a domestic system will turn it into a domestic one but Humminbird just won't allow it to protect the European market, I guess they have agreements with the European dealers.
Blaming the regulatory agencies in Europe or the CE requirement is bullshit otherwise Lowrance would have the same problem. Like you say, a lot of potential customers are lost as they don't wanna pay the exaggerated European prices.

blasir

Post by blasir » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:47 pm

HELLO ... I DISCOVERED SOMETHING INTERESTING IN U.S.A. UNIT I BOUGHT...

1)YOU BUY AN U.S.A. UNIT ON INTERNET... NOTHING IS WRITTEN IN THE OFFICIAL HUMMINBIRD WEBSITE ABOUT UNIT RESTRICTION....

2)THEN YOU DISCOVER YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE UNITS TO METRIC ....OK ... YOU TRY TO GET INFO OVER INTERNET, FORUMS ETC. AND YOU DISCOVER THAT YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE COUGHT IN THE TRAP.....BUT YOU BITE THE BULLET AND PRINT AN EXCEL CONVERSION TABLE TO STICK BESIDE YOUR UNIT...

YOU WANNA KNOW THE WORST OF THE WORST OF THE WORST

YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE TIME ZONE... EVERYTHING IS LOCKED WITHIN U.S.A. TERRITORY... THIS MEANS YOU BUY SOMETHING YOU CANNOT USE OUTSIDE U.S.A..... THIS IS NOT CORRECT

A COUPLE OF MEMBERS WROTE ME THAT NOTHING IS NOT CORRECT FROM HUMMINBIRD AND "SUGGEST" TO USE MILES AND F° AND FOOT.....THEY SAID THIS IS NOT A BIG DEAL...THEY DON'T SAY YOU CANNOT USE YOUR UNIT OUTSIDE U.S.A. BECOUSE THE TIME ZONE SETTINGS IS LOCKED TO U.S. TERRITORY (TRY TO CALCULATE YUR ETA OR YOUR TIDE MAX OR YOUR BAROMETRIC TREND USING WEATHER SENSE IN AZORES OR BRASIL OR BELGIUM....)

AND THEY DO NOT SAY WHY NOBODY WROTE THIS BEFORE TO BUY YOUR UNIT....

HUMMINBIRD HAS TO TAKE AN OFFICIAL POSITION....

NOW EXPLAIN ME WHY HUMMINBIRD DOES NOT WRITE IN CAPS LETTER IN IT'S WEBSITE THAT THIS UNIT CANNOT BE "FRIENDLY USED" OUTSIDE U.S.A.
PLEASE IF YOU THINK HUMMINBIRD WAS NOT CORRECT SELLING THIS PRODUCT WITHOUT EXPLAIN THIS LIMITATIONS WRITE ME AT RAOULBLASI@POSTE.IT ... WE WILL CONTACT TOGETHER A LAWER TO SEE IF WE ARE RIGHT OR WRONG
REGARDS TO ALL

dpalmer

C-Tick approval excuses

Post by dpalmer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:36 pm

I was looking at getting a 997cxsi here in Australia, and then considered getting a domestic US model for half the price and accepting the imperial system (not so bad - I'm an aviator after all) even though I was surprised that for this amount of money I can't change back and forth between imp/metric as an option.

The official line of increasing cost due to C-Tick approval is absolute garbage. I know what that entails (and have been involved in airworthiness reviews for avionics which are much more important when one considers the worst possible outcomes of not getting it right!), and it is basic stuff - send in your design manuals and EMC test report to show it wont blow up under high temp/various voltage regimes. This work is already done in the US - it is the same standard. We are not about re-creating the wheel in Aus! Think of every electronic item made in China that comes with C-Tick and CE approval - they don't add thousands to the price of them. The cost to get the C-tick icon placed on every item would be the biggest expenditure HBird is burdened with.

As for the metric conversion standards (a software/firmware code change I can do!), it would cost them nothing. I have changed my mind out of principle about getting a HBird - ever again - unless they change their ways - but I hope they do.

I'm really glad I found this website, as it has enlightened me to the corporate gluttony displayed by the company. They are as bad as MSoft in the desire to control markets and regions etc. It has really disappointed and surprised me though that HBird has taken this stance, unlike their competitors.

blasir

From another aviator

Post by blasir » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:24 am

hi dpalmer
I'm glad you add this detailed information to this post. I'm a professional pilot too (captain in firefighting operations in Italy) and like you I wanna people know what Humminbird does'nt say.

If you know a system to upgrade the unit to decimal please write me at raoul.blasi@poste.it

regards Raoul

Keith Councell

Post by Keith Councell » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:47 pm

From Humminbird.com FAQ area:

While you may find that the pricing from US suppliers to be more attractive than your local dealer, there are several reasons for this.

1. US warranty is one year on most products (excludes some Smartcast products with six month warranty). Products purchased from your local dealer will carry a warranty required by your country or regions government. This additional warranty period adds cost to the product. Products purchased from the US will only carry the warranty honored in the US. If you should require warranty or out of warranty service, you are responsible for freight charges to and from our factory in Eufaula, AL USA .

2. Products purchased from your local dealer should include an operations manual with your countries legal language which must be produced by the local authorized distributor. This adds cost to the product.

3. Products purchased from your local dealer will contain menus with your local language and metric measurements. Our international products currently support 21 languages so please contact your local dealer to see if your preferred language is supported. This also adds development costs to the products.

4. Products purchased from your local dealer adhere to local or regional certification requirements which are not needed in the US and add costs to the development of products. Examples would be CE in Europe and CTick in Australia.

5. Some products have frequency operating requirements which are specific to your country or region. These same frequencies are not legal in the US therefore not sold by US retailers or e-tailers. Using US approved products in your country or region may result in fines or legal action. Examples: VHF radios and all Smartcast products.
I can be smart here and there...

blasir

we are not stupid

Post by blasir » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:56 pm

answer like this are the reason why i'm writing all these post....I hope this is not the official HB position and YOU ARE NOT HB EMPLOYER.. THIS WILL BE TERRIBLE.
'm talking about a standard american ciitzen,,, buting a HB in California for example... fishing for 2 years in the beautiful catalina island... the one day he decide to go fishing with friend in Cape Vert islands for 2 month... he is so proud of its unit that he brings it with him... he talk about how beautiful is HB is with their friends.... But SURPRISE... he cannot use his beautifull unit there...all the data from weather sense are not usable becouse he cannot read the correct local time etc etc....

THIS IS NOTHING ABOUT PROGRAMMING OR CERTIFICATE OR RE-DESIGN THE H UNIT TO A DIFFERENT STANDARD .... PLEASE WE ARE NOT STUPID... IS BETTER YOU ALL SAY THE TRUE REASON....IS ALL ABOUT COMMERCIAL......

Blinky

Post by Blinky » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Hey Blasir, how about takin' your whinging and whining somewhere else, I for one, am fed up with it. I’m sure I’m not alone on this!

I’m quite sure you’ll find this forum is for Humminbird users that are happy with their set-ups and keen to exchange information………..not unhappy whingers and whiners just looking to upset and get under everyone’s skin!

That’s my thoughts on the matter!
"I'd like to have a beer-holder on my guitar like they have on boats"
James Hetfield

TomKvalo

Humminbird official statements

Post by TomKvalo » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:23 pm

Hi! I totally agree with Blasir. There were no statement on the official Humminbird sites that my GPS was locked to US time zones, that I could not select celsius for temperature, etc. They really wanted my money, though! One of their statements is that it takes more programming to serve these things. This is bullshit. On the contrary; it takes more programming to lock the GPS to 4 specific time zones instead of a general selection! Look at this WEB-site; it is able to track all time zones in the world. If Humminbirds programmers have a problem of entering the formula for fahrenheit to celcius, I am chocked, the same goes for depth from feet to meters.

I feel like being offered and bying a Mercedes, but when it is delivered I realise that one of the doors will not open and that all the passenger seats has been replaced with wooden boxes. Except from that, the car is fine... On top of everything, the company tells me it is supposed to be like this?

Please, as Blasir says, we are not stupid, and I will follow up this one. :evil:

blasir

class action against humminbird

Post by blasir » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:54 am

hi TOMKVALO
if you are interested in a class action against humminbird please write me at raoul.blasi@poste.it using object: "humminbird class action".
regards Raoul

StrikeBack

Post by StrikeBack » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:00 am

Goodness me, this is all starting to get too silly. There are many products which are double the price in different countries and for many well justified reasons. Sometimes in one country the manufacturer may also be the distributor and so the end user gets a less expensive product because there is only a manufacturer's plus dealers mark up, not a manufacturer's, distributor's and dealer's mark up. The local purchaser gets a very good deal on price. Now for the same product to be available to all us lucky customers in another countries there needs to be a distributor in each country who also needs a mark up, hence a price differential. The manufacture in the USA is not going to supply each individual dealer all over the World. So without the distributor in each country adding to the price, so their services are paid for, we would not have this great product available to us.

To come on this website and expect very helpful people like Greg and Keith to answer your questions (in their own time) and then use the information they freely give and then threaten to sue them is a bit rich. If this is what you want to do I suggest you start up your own website otherwise the great resource of the "Unofficial Humminbird Side Imaging Forums" and the great contribution of people like Greg and Keith may well be taken away us. Please go and play elsewhere.
John

StrikeBack Tackle
Humminbird Dealer
www.strikebacktackle.com.au

blasir

Post by blasir » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:35 am

I'm asking to myself why you john are trying to justify the international commercial hb policy... I'm asking why time zone is locked without telling anything to customers. I'm asking this to Greg becouse i believe he direcly or indirecly knows the reason... I'm not asking you or others... if he cannot answer becouse he does'nt want or because he has no time there is no problem. If you don't wanna loose your time to read this post you are free to do it.
I'm a customer like you (or you are not!??) and i' like answers from HB people becouse i feel my right are not guaranteed. If they cannot solve this problem and other customers have the same feelings why we should accept something we believe is not right?