domestic and international

Official Firmware, Side Image Viewers, Map Overlays, 3rd Party Apps, etc..
Adam

Post by Adam » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:41 pm

I'll tip a little bit of information in.

I have been very impressed with the HumViewer program and noticed that it displayed depth in meters automatically for my US Domestic 997 model recorded files. I asked the question of the software developer and this is the answer that I got:

"The depth is actually saved as metric data in the .SON files."

Given the information is already there, why don't HumminBird allow you to access it on the US Domestic models?

Seems like some explanation is due...

Adam

RGecy

Post by RGecy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:47 pm

Adam,

This has been known for several years now! We cracked the HB format not long after it was released.

Regardless if the data was stored in Metric or Imperial, the conversion is simple and is done on the fly. This has been know for years now that the format was in a metric format and then converted. From a mathematical and programming standpoint, this is the easiest way to do it and is more accurate. The data that is stored is basically the digital information in its purest form.

And to be correct, the data is not stored in its pure "Metric" display format. Lets take the speed for example. It is stored as whole number that represents 1/10 of a meter/second. Now, this number still needs to be converted to its display format of either km/h, mph, or knots. So if the number stored in the HB format for speed is 212, then converted to m/s would be 21.2 m/s. And to convert to mph, you just multiply that number by 2.236936. Or for km/h, multiply it by 3.6. And for knots, 1.943844.

So you can universally compute what ever format you want from this simple method of storing data. What I am saying is, no matter how its stored, it can easily be converted to and from both formats. Metric just makes more sense when working with numbers and converting data.

I don't think the issue on why Humminbird decided to create a US version and an International version has changed because of this.

Robert

NevNev

Post by NevNev » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:00 am

Hi Guys

I think the unit version is based on the Serial no... As all units run the same software, the software checks against the serial number and "knows" which version mode to run in...
:shock:

KidE

Post by KidE » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:24 am

Havn't thought of that :lol:

The new challenge would be to find out where the serial number is hidden :wink:

NevNev

Post by NevNev » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:21 am

It would be interesting to know what the range of serial numbers are for International units vs US units to see if this is a possible differentiator for the software to pick up. The serial number is probably stored in EEPROM or FLash somewhere in the unit.. :twisted:

valla

Post by valla » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:03 pm

hi

ive read this thread and im very interested.

Has somebody found information which are interesting for the language selection ?

And has somebody the possibility to read the eeprom ? Can sb send me the *.bin ( rapidshare.com link per PM ) and i will take a look at the files.

Thanks !

Coastal

Post by Coastal » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:27 pm

HEY, I will be interested if any of you find a cure for this. Seeing as how H/B are not interested in helping out. Go the Boffins!! :D PM me with the cure and I will contribute to the cost.

valla

Post by valla » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:34 pm

we have to extract the *bin file.

I got one bin from a SI device but i cant extract the bin :( With a HexEditor i see see that the firmware got all languages.

// edit :

it seems that the devices are running linux. I extracted 3 files:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      24 12. Nov 19:42 hwid.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1537024 12. Nov 19:42 squashfs-3-lzma.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1048576 12. Nov 19:42 vmlinuz
now we need a pro whichcan extract the filesystem.

valla

Post by valla » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:05 am

i think somebody have to make a new thread.

The first post should contain a donation list. If we have enough donations somebody would work on a unlocked firmware.

valla

Post by valla » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:16 am

!!!! UPDATE !!!!

I think i have found some important information.

If somebody got a device i can try something which can make your US device to an International ( or russian/chinese/japanese ... ) device.

I think its not neccessary to change the firmware files so there is no danger for your device.

if you wanna test the method please contact me. If it works ive found a very simple method to unlock the device.

valla

Post by valla » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:30 am

barrabandit

Post by barrabandit » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:11 pm

8) I AM ABIT CHEESED OF ABOUT HUMINBIRD I HAVE A 997 SIDE SCAN UNIT WHICH I PURCHASED IN THE STATES WHILE I WAS ON HOLIDAYS JUST RECENTLY ... WHEN I GOT BACK TO AUSTRALIA I HAVE FOUND THAT THE TIME ZONES CANT BE CHANGED NOW THE UNIT WORKS OK BUT ALOT OF FUNCTIONALLITY IS LOST...WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I WANTED TO GO BOATING AROUND ASIA ....YEP RIPPED OFF .... I SHOULD OF DONE MORE HOMEWORK AND PROB GOT A MORE USER FREINDLY UNIT AT NO TIME DID I READ THAT IT WOULDNT WORK IN AUSTRALIA.... I PURCHASED A LOWRANCE UNIT PRIOR FROM THE STATES NO DRAMA ALL OK ...HUMMINBIRD DIDNT WANT TO KNOW ME WHEN I ASKED THE QUESTION I HAVE A BIT TO DO WITH THE FISHING SCENE AND IF SOMEONE ASKS MY OPION ON HUMMINBIRD .... GUESS WHAT MY ANSWER WILL BE.....IF THERE HAPPENS TO BE A FIX FOR THE TIME ZONE THING IN THE FUTURE I WOULD BE KEEN TO KNOW
BARRABANDIT

blasir

donation for unlocking my HB 997si

Post by blasir » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:05 am

Hi guys, I'm still fighting with my US version unit. I'll make a donation for unlocking my unit to international. write me personal if you have the solution.

Ciao

apneisto

Post by apneisto » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Me too I'll make a donation for unlocking my unit to international.Sent me a pm if you have the solution.

blasir

For programmers - nmea sentences

Post by blasir » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:52 am

Hello friends,

I can't believe the change of unit is not possible!!
This can probaly help friends able to enter in the Unit software

On Offical HB Faqs is clear the unit works in native METERS.....

http://www.humminbird.com/support/FAQ.aspx?faqid=32

NMEA Sentences:

The following NMEA Sentences are output from all Fishing System units:

DPT – Depth
MTW – Water Temperature
GLL(*) – Geographic Position (latitude/longitude)
GGA(*) – GPS Fix Data
RMC(*) – GNSS Data
VTG(*) – Course Over Ground and Ground Speed
ZDA(*) – Time and Date

(*) – These sentences are related to GPS and do not contain any information unless a GPS receiver is connected to the Fishing System unit.

If a GPS receiver is connected to the Fishing System unit, then other NMEA sentences containing navigation and waypoint information will also be output by the Fishing System. For more information on the NMEA0183 specification, consult the www.nmea.org website.

Digital Depth is embedded in the DPT sentence. Its format is as follows:

$INDPT,d.d,o.o*hh

where:
• d.d is the decimal depth value in meters relative to the transducer
• o.o is an offset from the the transducer to the surface.
• This Depth Offset can be programmed into the Fishing System unit under the advanced main menu system (see Fishing System User’s Manual for more details)
• hh is an automatically generated checksum for communications error checking
• - stands for “carriage return” and “line feed” which indicates the end of the transmitted sentence.