Just posted some recent updates for the MipsConverter, MBSConverter, and SideScanCalculator. For the MipsConverter and MBSConverter, I added an additional function which allows you to set the range value for conversion to a manually chosen value. This has proven useful for trimming files where the maximum depth used during recording exceeded the sidescan range (120 m or so) and garbage was recorded outside this range. For the SideScanCalculator, I fixed a problem with memory allocation which was causing the program to crash when loading large files. The updates can be found on our website:
On another note, for those who are interested in wreck hunting, we just finished taking some side scan images of the USAT Brigadier General M. G. Zalinski, a wreck which can be found in Grenville Channel, BC. The location, story, and side scan images of the wreck are posted on our website:
The project made for some interesting research, as the ship was a "forgotten" US Army transport ship which was carrying a load of bombs when she went down. The Canadian government is now looking into the possibility of removing the fuel and munitions from the wreck, possibly by 2010.
Some other notes of interest regarding issues that have been talked about in this forum:
1. Range settings
Correct range settings are absolutely crucial if you want to be able to mosaic the data. Both the downward looking sonar and sidescan sonar must be firing at the same frequency, which means they both have to be set for the same maximum range. This can be done by setting the "Max Depth" value on the unit (which sets the range value for the recording). However, if the "Max Depth" value exceeds the maximum range of the sidescan (120 m or so), or if the unit is unable to lock onto the bottom within the "Max Depth", bizarre, and often erroneous, values will be recorded in the SON files. As a result, you will probably have little luck getting MBSystem or MIPS to process the data.
2. Alternator noise
We've had serious problems with alternator noise. We've installed noise reduction filters on both our alternators (we have a 24V and 12V system), and on the power supply to the Humminbird unit. While these help, we have discovered that one of our alternators (on the 12V system) is producing a loud (and very irritating) RF signal. Our next step will be to disassemble the alternator and clean the brushes to see if this will help.