ONIX mysteries

Humminbirds newest Onix and Ion units
mattz

ONIX mysteries

Post by mattz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:09 am

Hi all,

This is a great forum! This is my first post so I hope you wiil bear with me...

I have had an ONIX unit in my boat for a couple of years (bought with software 2.000 already on it) and it has been trouble free albeit with a large learning curve! I have updated it and the I-pilot link to the latest software (2.700) and took the boat out for it's first voyage since the update last weekend. All was well for most of the day but 2/3's into the day the unit would not power up correctly. The following sequence of events occurred:
A). I would press the on button and the Humminbird logo would come on faintly, then brighter but the screen would not get to the point where the status bar shows and the unit would then shut down.
B). I then press the power button again and nothing. I tried this 3 or 4 times and nothing.
C). I have an on/off toggle switch on the negative wire and toggled this off then on then went though A). again. The unit would come on then off as described in A). above then B).
D). I checked ALL wiring connections to make sure they were tight and clean (my ONIX is in a center console and wired directly to the starting battery in the console via about 6 feet of all soldered connections). Then I went through A) and B) again.
E). After giving up, about a half an hour later or so the unit came on by itself and worked fine until the end of the day (I must have pressed the on button before giving up and the unit came on a half hour later.)
At the end of the day, in the dark, I shut the unit down when getting close to the launch ramp but then decided to turn the unit on one more time to better see where the ramp location on the lake. Nothing. Please note that in all of the above scenarios the battery voltage was at 12 or slightly better (I checked often) and I never had an issue starting the outboard. More info: I have the Stealth 1 charging system and the starting battery is a relatively new (several months old) Odyssey battery.
So I went out yesterday and the same issues were occurring largely as described above but now with a couple of new twists:
1). I had the screen on 2D and the background color went to black on it's own while fishing. I went to the sonar options section and selected white but it would not go to white. I could only get it to white by selected blue then white. It would then go back to black on it's own a again a few moments later! This happened several times over an hour or two and then it was fine.
2). I was in sonar options putting checkmarks in some option boxes (cannot recall which ones now) but when I put a checkmark in one box and then put a checkmark in another box the first box checked would become unchecked. Then a while later I could check all boxes as desired. Weird.
3.) At the end of the day I powered down the unit and then pressed the power button and the unit came right up (unlike what occurred the previous weekend)
I called Humminbird customer service and they insist 2.700 has nothing to do with these issues and they offered for me to send it in (they gave me an RMA # and FED EX label).
I am posting this to see what the VERY knowledgeable folks on this forum think before I send it in as I am fearful I will be getting a "No issue found" response from Humminbird after they check it out and maybe it is just something odd that I am doing or not doing properly.

I know this is a really long winded first post but I wanted to provide as much hopefully useful information as possible...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or comments you may have!

Wayne P.

Re: ONIX mysteries

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:19 am

2.700 has several issues. I got rid of it and re-installed 2.300. Tested the re-installed 2.300 yesterday so see if the screwups were permanent. It was OK like pre-2.700

I removed my ONIX 10 SI NT and will wait until all the bugs are fixed from that version and the original version when the unit was first released. I have other Humminbird models.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

mattz

Post by mattz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks Wayne,

I will remove 2.700 and go back to 2.300 and see how it works and post my findings here as well as forward my findings to Humminbird. It certainly reflects badly on Humminbird to have paying customers be the beta testers; especially considering that many have offered to be be beta testers to help them out before issuing releases only to be rebuffed over and over again on their offers.

Danco

Post by Danco » Tue May 31, 2016 1:46 pm

I had this happen to me with my 1198 C SI a while back. Had to do a soft reset. Found how to do that through Google. After, everything was fine - but did have to go through the system set up again.

Denny O

Post by Denny O » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:07 pm

As you state that you will, mattz and you have Wayne, how do you revert back to a previous software version?
I have not been able to do this with the "Core Units" 800, 900 and 1100 series?

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:04 am

With the ONIX, you do a hard reset and it goes back to the original version.
A patch should be in your Humminbird account that fixes the glitches that 2.700 created. It was released over two weeks ago. Just install the patch.

With a core unit, you re-install an older software version--done it many times testing stuff. I always save all the software versions in a folder on my computer as they are released. I have all 15 software updates for the 1198c SI Combo.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.