Down Imaging vs. Side Imaging???

Any other items for sale
Hawgloader

Down Imaging vs. Side Imaging???

Post by Hawgloader » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:35 pm

I am new to the forum and have a question. Which is better for a tournament bass fisherman...a unit with down imaging or side imaging? I have a 1993 Stratos 201XL and currently have a Bottom Line at the console. I had a Bottom Line at the bow as well, but the puck went bad and of course you can't get replacement parts for Bottom Line anymore. I have a limited budget and can't afford an "elaborate" setup, so I don't want a "Man I wish I would have bought the other one" to happen. Thanks!

Hawgloader

Post by Hawgloader » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Oh, and I was looking at either the 788ci HD DI Combo or 798ci SI Combo...Thanks!

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:27 pm

I think that as a Bass fisherman you would want to know what side of the boat the fish or structure you just saw was on. For this you would need the Si unit as it will show what was to the left or right of the boat. With the DI unit you would only know that the fish/structure was somewhere in that area within XX number of feet of the transducer and it would require more searching to find it. Besides, with the wider area that the Si sonar beams can cover; you could spot cast to fish you see as the boat does not have to run over the fish or structure to see them.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

Wacenturion

Post by Wacenturion » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe with the 798ci SI Combo, you can download the DI if not already on the unit. That way you have both SI and DI.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Yes, the 798ci si does down imaging as well as side imaging since early 2010 software updates.

The dedicated down imaging unit may have a little higher di resolution because it has a norrower beam, but a MUCH smaller search area.
I doubt that you will find anyone that has a si unit who would go back to not having it.

1 vote for the 798ci si.

Go with the 2011 798ci hd si if you can....it has the ethernet port and will be set up better for the future.