Side Imaging FAQs - Frequently asked questions

Read here first, to learn about Side Imaging Technology
Craig
Site Admin

Side Imaging FAQs - Frequently asked questions

Post by Craig » Mon May 14, 2007 7:01 pm

Taken from Humminbird.com

FAQs

Does the boat have to be moving for the side imaging sonar to work?

Yes. The side imaging sonar works much like a MRI. The beams are laser thin and as they move past an object they take 100’s of thin slices of the object and compile them into a high-detailed image of the object. If the boat is sitting still the beams will continue to take thin slices of the same spot and continue to show the slice of this spot continuously.

Do the Side Imaging Units have GPS capabilities

Yes. Both the 797 and 997 include advanced GPS capabilities including advanced 16 channel GPS with a built-in high detailed UNIMAP that contains 1000’s of inland lakes.

The 797 and 997 are compatible with Navionics Silver, Gold and Premium HotMaps cartography. In addition the 997 is compatible with the revolutionary Navionics Platinum cartography.

When I see underwater structure or contours out to the side of my boat with the side imaging units can I mark them as waypoints?

Yes. The Side Imaging Units allow you to simply activate a cursor using the easy-to-use 4 way cursor and move the cursor over the object and mark it as a waypoint.

As the screen is scrolling and I see an object of interest is there a way to stop the screen to examine the object before it scrolls off the screen?

Yes. Simply press the 4 way cursor and this will freeze the screen, allowing you to examine the object. Additionally you can change settings while the screen is frozen to enhance the object for your viewing.

Am I missing anything by using a Side Imaging Unit that I would get with a conventional down-looking sonar.?

No. The Side Imaging Units (797 and 997) include:

- Advanced 16 Channel GPS w/ mapping
- Advanced Dual Beam Conventional Downlooking Sonar
- And the Incredible side imaging technology

When I use the Side Imaging Units am I missing critical information directly under my boat?

No. First, the area under the boat that isn’t covered by the side imaging beam is very small (approximately 5 degrees to either side of vertical. Second, the conventional down-looking sonar that is built into the side imaging transducer covers the areas below the boat and the Side Imaging Units allow you to view a split screen that will show both downlooking and side imaging sonar simultaneously.

Will the side imaging work well in shallow water?

Yes. In water as shallow as 2 feet the Side Imaging Units will can still show great detail of objects 50-75 feet away from the boat.

Will side imaging sonar work well in deep water?

Yes. The Side Imaging Units will show detailed images of the bottom up to 150 feet deep. Also the side imaging can be used to scan an area of water up to 480 feet wide for suspended fish and baitfish regardless of the depth. The conventional down-looking sonar built into the side imaging transducer will work down to 1500 feet. Optional thru-hull transducers can be bought separately to provide up to 2500 feet of depth capability for downlooking sonar.

How does the down-looking sonar built into the Side Imaging Units compare to competitive down-looking sonar?

The down-looking sonar built into the Side Imaging Units is an advanced Dual Beam technology 200/83 khz (20/60 degrees of coverage) that provides great detailed bottom definition from the narrow beam and great coverage for fish and structure from the wide beam. Most competitive models only use single beam technology, which limits their coverage to find structure and fish.

What are the mounting options for the side imaging transducer?

There are three mounting options for the side imaging transducer. They are:

(1) transom mount (this transducer comes standard with the 797 and 997)
(2) trolling motor mount (adapters to allow the transom mount transducer to be mounted to the trolling motor are sold separately)
(3) plastic thru-hull transducer (offered as an optional accessory)

Can I epoxy the side imaging transducer in the hull of my fiberglass boat and allow the sonar to shoot through the hull?

No. Because of the way the side imaging beams shoot out to the side the transducer can’t be epoxied into the hull and work properly.

Will I be able to obtain high speed readings from my side imaging sonar?

First, the side imaging technology generally works to speeds up to 10 MPH. This will vary depending on the boat hull and the location of the installation. Second, the down-looking sonar built into the side imaging transducer will work to much higher speeds. High speed readings with transom mount transducers on faster boats are often limited by the turbulence that occurs around the back of the boat. An optional accessory (SI HSK), which is a kit that includes an in-hull puck transducer and a transducer switch, allows you to install the puck transducer in the hull to obtain great high speed readings of down-looking sonar and then switch to the side imaging transducer to get the incredible side imaging detail at slower speeds.

Where do I mount the side imaging transducer on my boat?

The proper location of the transducer varies widely depending on the individual boat type and model. Please refer to the installation guide that comes with the Side Imaging Units, contact your local dealer or contact Humminbird’s Consumer Resource Center by either dialing (800)633-1468 or www.humminbird.com.

Is the Side Imaging Unit difficult to operate?

No. Humminbird prides itself on offering products with advanced technology that are easy to use. The units are pre-programmed with settings that will allow for use under a wide variety of applications. The menu system that allows each user to customize the unit to their individual needs is very intuitive and easy to master.

Will I be able to see the color display in the sunlight?

Yes. The displays used on the 797 and 997 utilize advanced technology to provide the user with brilliant viewing in direct sunlight.

What is the coverage of the Side Imaging Units?

The Side Imaging Units allow you to scan up to 240 feet to either side of the boat for a total coverage area of 480 feet ( almost 2 football fields). Typically you will be able to obtain this much coverage in 30 foot or more of water. In water 2-5 feet deep you can get around 50-75 feet to either side. In water 5-10 feet deep you can get 100-125 feet to either side. In water 10-30 feet deep you can get 125-200 foot of coverage to either side.

How much detail can I expect to see on a Side Imaging Unit in real-world conditions?

You should expect the Side Imaging Units to provide you with the most detailed sonar images you have ever seen. See the “Image Gallery” at the www.sideimaging.com website to see the detail you should expect. Each of these images were taken by real users in real-world conditions.

Do the Side Imaging Units work well in rough water?

Yes. The Side Imaging Units can provide you with valuable sonar images to help locate structure even in rough water. As with all sonar units rough water will cause some level of distortion in the image; however, you will still be able to detect underwater objects that are key to your fishing success that you would have never seen without side imaging technology.

If I see an object to the side of my boat can I “zoom” in on it?

Yes. The Side Imaging Units have a feature that allows you to cursor over to an object and zoom in on it to get more detail.

Can I capture still shots of images that I see on the screen? Can I take recordings of sections of an area that I am driving over?

The answer to both of these questions is YES. Simply install a SD card into the card slot of the unit and follow the simple instructions in the User Manual. Snapshots can be downloaded to your PC or reviewed on the Side Imaging Unit. Recordings can be reviewed on the unit but not transferred to a PC.

Do the Side Imaging Units work with Fuel Flow sensors?

No. Currently Humminbird doesn’t offer a fuel flow accessory and Humminbird units aren’t compatible with other Fuel Flow sensors on the market.

JHartikka

Own maps?

Post by JHartikka » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:50 am

Hi Craig,

Thanks for clarifying answers! I am considering bying a SI sonar, probably a 798, to explore the many lakes around here with my small trailer carried boat.

However, I live in a remote part of the world, to where there are no precise local maps for sale for these sonars, at least on reasonable price. However, I have some experience of editing local GPS maps myself for mobile locating applications like for the UIView ham radio APRS. So I could easily prepare in advance a map separately for every small lake I am going to visit.

So I would like to add one question: Can I use my own maps with the 798 or other SI sonars?

Regards,
- Juha -

Finland

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:18 pm

No can not.
The Huminbird units only recognize the Navionics map format.
Greg Walters at Humminbird
gwalters@johnsonoutdoors.com
I help because I can

JHartikka

Metric units models?

Post by JHartikka » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 am

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your kind reply! Then another question to help me purchase a suitable SI sonar model from abroad. I have understood from manual copies that the SI sonars like 797, 798 and 997 have separate models for metric units. So I am asking:

- How do I know which SI sonar model has metric units? Are they specified by some characters of their model markings?

Then, I am wondering if I can use the units in our cold winter of about -20 centigrade temperatures:

- What are the operating temperature limits of 797, 798 and 997?

I did not manage to find the power consumption of the bigger SI model:

- What are the current draw and operating voltage limits of 998?

Regards,
- Juha -

Finland

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Only the International version units have the metric/Celsius capability and are designated by an “X” in their model numbers (unless you are looking for Asian language units). Example: 997cX Si, where the “X” denoted that it is an International model unit. These models should only be available through our international retailers (Domestic – US models are only available in the US).

-20 Celsius is about -4 Fahrenheit. I know that we test our units down to -20C but the response time of the displays really starts to drop off. I’m not sure how well it would work at that temperature for you.

We have no “998” model unit, but here are the current draw of:
1197c Si – 1,300 mA
997c Si – 800 mA
798c Si – 650 mA
I help because I can

SoManyFishSoLittleTime

The one big question no one seems to ask!

Post by SoManyFishSoLittleTime » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:26 am

will SI actually locate fish and be detectible on your monitor. I know 2d imagining I am very comfortible with being able to accurately tell if its fish or not.

For some reason everyone constantly goes gaa gaa over locating structure. Tha's only half of the picture. So, does this unit with it's 2 frequency laser scaning actually locate fish. If so, why is no one pointing that out?

Thanks!

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I need to replace my LMS-350A ASAP. And I thinking of pulling the trigger on the 1197.
what's better? HDS-10 or 1197? Have to decide now!

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:13 am

I would say “Yes”. Look in the Categorized Pictures – Fish and Baitfish for some images of fish that could be targeted.
I help because I can

capo

side image and depth

Post by capo » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:32 pm

What will appear on the screen when the depth is more or close to 150ft?

Also, what does the power output mean and how is it reflect to the quality of the
image?

Thanks,
Cap

Humminbird_Greg

Post by Humminbird_Greg » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:26 am

“What will appear on the screen when the depth is more or close to 150ft?”
Are you talking about the 2D or Si sonar here? Either should show you any sonar returns that are closer than 150 feet to the transducer even if that means it is not showing the actual lake bottom.

The Power Output is a measure of the sound level pressure that unit transmits into the water. Some manufactures show this as an RMS or Peak-to-Peak value (we do both). In general the more energy or power that you transmit into the water the sonar unit will be able to read deeper/farther and show targets that have a weaker sonar return signature. This is only in general though as there are many other factors that come into play with this.
I help because I can

TreeBass

Post by TreeBass » Sat May 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Where do I mount the side imaging transducer on my boat?

The proper location of the transducer varies widely depending on the individual boat type and model. Please refer to the installation guide that comes with the Side Imaging Units, contact your local dealer or contact Humminbird’s Consumer Resource Center by either dialing (800)633-1468 or www.humminbird.com.

Is there any way to mount an SI transducer on a pontoon boat? Or will the other tube interfere with the SI ability?

thanks

WZX123

Post by WZX123 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:39 am

Two Worst FAQ Writing Faux Pas

* Many websites don't separate their FAQs for existing customers who need support from their FAQs for prospective customers who just want the information they need in order to decide whether and how to buy.

* Many websites that do provide a special pre-sales FAQ turn it into yet another advertisement--ugh! Your prospective customers need pre-sales information that truly helps them come to a decision.