Looking To Potentially Add 3rd Unit

Read here first, to learn about Side Imaging Technology
Tboyle2486

Looking To Potentially Add 3rd Unit

Post by Tboyle2486 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:40 am

Current Set Up - I have a 858 DI unit my bow connected to a XTM 9 DI 25 T (DI trolling motor transducer). I have this unit connected to a 999 SI unit in dash at the console via Ethernet cable. I am able to share way points. The 999 SI unit is connected to the SI transducer on the transom and split off via Y-cable to the XP 9 20 in the hull (bilge area). My 999 SI unit now has high-speed 2D readings from the XP 9 20 and gets the SI/DI/temperature from the SI transducer. I also have a XIH 9 DI T (high speed DI transducer) in the hull (bilge area) but NOT connected to anything at the moment because it was not compatible with my 999 SI unit when splitting off via Y-cable (Humminbird told me), hence the reason I installed the XP 9 20 in the bilge area for high-speed readings. I am happy with my current set up.

Future Set Up - I am potentially looking for a third unit, one that is bigger that I can put up front since I spend the majority of time at the bow. I was looking at one of the 1100 series units, Oynx units, or the new Helix units for the bow. With that, I might want another accessory eventually, say maybe even 360 imaging, but that won’t happen for some time. I was thinking of putting the 858 DI unit back in the dash at the console and putting the 999 SI unit on a ram mount at the console (next to the dash). I think the goal would be to use the 858 DI unit for mapping and the 999 SI unit for SI/DI/T but not sure how this could work since the 858 is a dedicated DI unit and ending in an “8” rather than a “9.”? Meaning, I would have DI coming from the 858 DI unit and 999 SI unit?

(1) What would be my best set up (reason I am asking is because now I have two high-speed transducers in the hull, one DI and one basic 2D sonar)?

(2) How would I or which in-hull transducers would I use to connect the 858 DI and 999 SI units together because really the XIH 9 DI T should go with the 858 DI unit and the XP 9 20 should go with the 999 SI unit for compatibility? Is there a certain way to rig these where one of the in-hull transducers (maybe the XP 9 20) won’t really be needed anymore if I go with the three unit set up?

(3) Can I leave my XTM 9 DI 25 T (DI trolling motor transducer) at the bow connected to one of the bigger, newer units? What would I then do with the transducer that comes with one of the bigger, newer units?

I ask these questions because I feel like I am trying to connect three different units together from different versions/capabilities. Any information would be appreciated.

Wayne P.

Re: Looking To Potentially Add 3rd Unit

Post by Wayne P. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Along with my answer on BBC of this same post, all the units can be connected together with Ethernet. Just need the AS ETH 5PXG hub and an Ethernet cable between the hub and displays.

All DI units come with the transom DI transducer XNT 9 DI T. You don't want that on a trolling motor.

Stick with the puck BUT you got the wrong one to get the best performance with your 858 DI. You should have the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T so you can use 83/200 kHz 2D sonar instead of 200/455 kHz.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

Tboyle2486

Post by Tboyle2486 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Wayne. So if I want to eventually hook up all the units I would need to install and use the AS ETH 5PXG hub and an Ethernet cable between the hub and displays because right now I can connect both units using an Ethernet cable...but there are no more connections for more units.

So all DI units come with the transom DI transducer XNT 9 DI T, which makes sense. I obviously wouldn't want to put that on a trolling motor. So basically I am buying a new unit and not using that transom transducer? That sucks because of the price. I am wondering if I can just look to buy a unit since I would already have a DI transducer for the trolling motor. What do people usually do? What are your thought on a SI/DI unit on the trolling motor? I have always ran a DI unit and used SI at the console.

I saw that you stated I got the wrong DI trolling motor transducer to get the best performance out of my 858 DI. I should have bought the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T so I can use 83/200 kHz 2D sonar instead of 200/455 kHz. If that's the case, I will more than likely eventually buy the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T. I have a couple of questions because you said I would then get the best performance with my 858 DI.

(1) So what is the difference between the two? One has a larger range of sonar?
(2) Does the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T produce more clear or better DI results or 2D sonar results, or both?
(3) As for now if I stick with the XTM 9 DI 25 T, what would I be missing? I am not quite sure the difference between 83/200kHz and 200/455 kHz.
(4) If I stick with the XTM 9 DI 25 T, what would be the best way to set it up? Meaning settings or anything I can change, such as kHz or something in the unit settings menu?

Also, one last question...what would be the best settings on my 999SI unit? The reason I am asking is I feel like both my 858DI unit and 999SI unit are not viewing like picture perfect screen shots that I see or picking up individual bait balls above weeds. I can start at factory settings and play around with it but wanted to pick your brain. Thanks

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Tboyle2486 wrote:Thanks for the reply Wayne. So if I want to eventually hook up all the units I would need to install and use the AS ETH 5PXG hub and an Ethernet cable between the hub and displays because right now I can connect both units using an Ethernet cable...but there are no more connections for more units.

So all DI units come with the transom DI transducer XNT 9 DI T, which makes sense. I obviously wouldn't want to put that on a trolling motor. So basically I am buying a new unit and not using that transom transducer? That sucks because of the price. I am wondering if I can just look to buy a unit since I would already have a DI transducer for the trolling motor. What do people usually do? What are your thought on a SI/DI unit on the trolling motor? I have always ran a DI unit and used SI at the console.

I saw that you stated I got the wrong DI trolling motor transducer to get the best performance out of my 858 DI. I should have bought the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T so I can use 83/200 kHz 2D sonar instead of 200/455 kHz. If that's the case, I will more than likely eventually buy the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T. I have a couple of questions because you said I would then get the best performance with my 858 DI.

(1) So what is the difference between the two? One has a larger range of sonar?
(2) Does the XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T produce more clear or better DI results or 2D sonar results, or both?
(3) As for now if I stick with the XTM 9 DI 25 T, what would I be missing? I am not quite sure the difference between 83/200kHz and 200/455 kHz.
(4) If I stick with the XTM 9 DI 25 T, what would be the best way to set it up? Meaning settings or anything I can change, such as kHz or something in the unit settings menu?

Also, one last question...what would be the best settings on my 999SI unit? The reason I am asking is I feel like both my 858DI unit and 999SI unit are not viewing like picture perfect screen shots that I see or picking up individual bait balls above weeds. I can start at factory settings and play around with it but wanted to pick your brain. Thanks

All DI units come with the same transom mount DI transducer XNT 9 DI T. All DI units out of the box use 200/455 kHz for 2D sonar with that transducer. The 800, 900, and 1100 series DI units can use 83/200 kHz for 2D sonar which has better coverage for FISHING.
When new and unused, you can EXCHANGE the transom transducer for the better performing DI trolling motor PUCK.

Humminbird has accessories to customize your installation. You can choose to do that installation correctly or try to "get by" with less.
Additionally the DI pucks have extra internal shielding for the trolling motor application. That shielding is to help with possible RFI from a trolling motor.

You would not be missing anything, you would be gaining coverage and fishability.
200/455 kHz has a spec coverage of 28/16 degrees
83/200 kHz has a spec coverage of 60/20 degrees.
The DI frequencies and coverage are the same for all DI units and transducers.

Most choose the 83/200 setting for more coverage for vertical presentations for 2D sonar and select 800 kHz for DI in less than 20' and select 455 kHz for deeper than 20'.

Fish in the water column will be very obvious since they will be the color of the pallet you choose on a black background.
When over weeds or bottom, the fish returns will be competing with intensity of those returns. You have to adjust the Sensitivity to get the contrasting dark to light returns so that stand out. Weeds are tougher since they reflect sonar pulses like fish do.

Visit the Bass Boat Central Image Interpretation forum, LOOK and READ the posts to learn how to set the units up.
Additionally Doug Vahrenberg has videos on his website for training purposes. "Tips and Tricks"
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.