View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Quadrabeam setup?? 

I have a 718x, and want to try the quadrabeam setup. But I have some question about the way the data is displayed on the sonar.

On a 718, you have only one view that you can see Quadrabeam data. (from the simulation mode)
And I'm not too happy the way data is displayed. Dualbeam in the top half of the screen and the left/right signal in the bottom half.

The only way to see the right or left signal is using only 1/4 of screen estate. So it's not very useful.
Is in real mode, on water, the way data is displayed is different.

I would love to see right or left signal in full screen, and left/bottom or bottom/right screen split vertically like the dual beam screen.

I fish in 40-80 ft of water on the side of the boat, and the quadrabeam setup would be perfect if only I can see the right or left signal in full screen. Or at least full height vertical split bottom/right or left/bottom.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:19 pm

Next time you are in the Simulation mode or even out on the water try setting the Transducer Select menu to the “Quad Beam” setting. Than go to the Side Beam View that has the QuadraBeam format that you have seen. While there, press the MENU button and highlight the “Quad Layout” menu and select the “Slanted” setting. This may be what you were asking for.

Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:43 pm
Profile WWW

I have checked the slanted and other views, and the thing that I don't like, is that Quadbeam seem a very good idea on a 2D sonar, but the internal software of the sonar don't use is potential.

To have only 1/4 of the screen to show a full sonar return for each side is ridiculous. It shows the same detail as a 10 year old machine.

Would it be hard to code a menu to select which transducer we want displayed in the various screens available? Like a main view with only the right or left side. Or a dual view like the 83/200 split screen, but selectable between left/down or down/right..

It's sure I won't buy a 70$ transducer just to have two small screens showing side data..
But if you can change the firmware to show full resolution side data, The next day I have a Quad transducer in my hand!

Edit: Something like this:

Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:12 am

This could be done if the-powers-that-be wanted to do something like this. I would add it to the Humminbird Wish List on the Yahoo web site (I don’t think that this web site has a wish list does it???).

Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:15 am
Profile WWW

Hi Gentleman, Newbie here. I just purchased a 788ci (still in the un-opened box). I am thinking of purchasing the Quadbeam ducer for it. Will I have the same issue with my 788ci unit as stated above or does my unit have more options?

Ronnie

Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:52 pm

You will see the same thing on the 788ci unit when using the QuadraBeam transducer. Basically the software for this is the same between these units, so the menu selections and Views options will be the same as well.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:06 am
Profile WWW

Hi Greg...thanks for the reply and all your information.

I have not yet purchased the QuadBeam nor have I installed the finder yet. But, is the quadbeam worth it getting? I was thinking of purchasing the QB ducer or should I just try the dual beam first? Give me your opinion if you don't mind....

Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:15 pm

I’m partial to the QuadraBeam. Some like it and some don’t. If I had a non-Si sonar unit like the 788ci I would get one since it covers a wider area of the water column than does the DualBeam transducer. If you get it and find you don’t like it you can always set the Transducer select menu back to the DualBeam setting and it will work just like a DualBeam transducer.

Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:24 pm
Profile WWW

Greg....thank you for the input. I will certainly keep that in mind. I think I am going to try my dual beam first and then possible try the quad later on.
Again, thank you for the input.
Ronnie

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]