View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 GPS receiver antenna stem 

Where can I buy one of these, a 1" diameter, 14 thread, maybe 1 - 2' long? Humminbird doesn't offer them, and I don't see them at Cabela's, Bass Pro or J&H Marine.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:37 am

Your local hardware store should carry stuff like this, it is just a standard pipe thread.
Depending if you want plastic or galvinized steel, I would look in the plumbing section.

Louis

Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:18 am

Shakespeare makes all kinds of antenna mast extensions and mounts - the one I used was the Shakespeare 4364, which is 12" long and all plastic.

I used it with the RAM antenna mount RAM-112U. You will have to hog out the base wire exit to feed the (wretchedly oversized) HB connector through the extension mast.

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:10 pm

I went to Home Depot and Lowes and two other hardware supply stores as well as a Metal Fabricating Company and was told they don't have this type of threads. -14 means 14 threads per inch. This is NOT Standard Pipe Thread.

I found a antenna mount at Gander Mountain that has a 1" -14 threaded male stem that will work in a pinch. But I can't run the gps antenna wire up though the middle of the base like I wanted to hide the wires.

I even went to a plumbing supply house and they didn't have this type of threads on any of their pipes.

Just wanted to save everyone a wild goose chase on this missinformation below:

LouisR wrote:
billfish

Your local hardware store should carry stuff like this, it is just a standard pipe thread.
Depending if you want plastic or galvinized steel, I would look in the plumbing section.

Louis

Moose1am

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:02 pm

My mistake, Sorry I thought it was pipe thread.

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:52 am

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/viewtopic.php?t=2362&highlight=gps+mount

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:32 am

LouisR wrote:
My mistake, Sorry I thought it was pipe thread.

Sorry that I was so blunt. It's just that when I got my new 898cSI I spent the next 5 hours the next day looking for this antenna extention with those type threads. I wasted a day looking for this thing that was not available at the local hardware stores.

I finally figured out that West Marine carries the base and antenna extentions and ordered mine from them the other day. I am waiting for my order to arrive so that I can finally install my gps antenna above the boat.

Moose1am

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:25 pm

I bought an antenna ratchet mount from Cabela's for about $23:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... jsp.form23
Then at Home Depot I found a male and a female piece with the correct thread (or very close). These are about 1" long, with each having an unthreaded end that accepts a PVC pipe (as female on the 1" piece). So I screw the female piece onto the ratchet mount, screw the male piece onto the 'puck holder' (or whatever it's called that is screwed into the puck from HB), and insert the PVC pipe into each 1" piece. I have to cut a slot from the PVC to get the puck cable to the outside (it will not thread through the ratchet mount hole at the base because the end plug is too wide). It was easy to cut this slot in the PVC with a hack saw by making two cuts about an inch long, and tearing it out with needle nose pliers. I cut the PVC tube down to about 10 inches long ( it was about 2' long), leaving puck about 14 inches in the air from the base. Then I put it together and taped it up nice and snug (the thread wasn't a perfect fit). My boat is on order and should be here soon. If I want the puck lower I can easily pull it apart and cut the PVC tube shorter. Once I figured it out, it was a can of corn.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 pm

billfish wrote:
Where can I buy one of these, a 1" diameter, 14 thread, maybe 1 - 2' long? Humminbird doesn't offer them, and I don't see them at Cabela's, Bass Pro or J&H Marine.

Every hardware store has it.

Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:47 am

Actually it's not standard Pipe Thread. I wish it where. It's a special thread sized used for Marine Radio Antennas.

If you want to get the EXACT size thread count of 14/inch then go with the Marine Stuff Below. You can jerry rig it maybe but it would not fit exactly. Believe me as I tried to do this and could not get it to work properly. I wish I were wrong as I could have saved myself $100 bucks on this project.

If you get the proper sized threads then you can screw it apart later on without doing any damage to the expensive PLASTIC threads on the Humminbird GPS Puck Base. If you were to screw the GPS Puck Antenna onto a standard pipe thread that's close in size but not an exact fit you will Certainly damage the fragil plastic thread inside the GPS Puck base. Female part of the GPS Puck Base.

I would rather just use sheet metal screws and screw the GPS Antenna TOP part of the puck onto the flat metal boat deck on my Fishermarine Aluminum Bass Boat than to ruin the plastic threads on the GPS Antenna Puck Base.

NOTE: The GPS Accuracy seemed to me to be the same whether the puck was flat on the deck or rasied up 2ft high above the deck of the boat. Each position gave me the same estimated accuracy this spring when I did this project.

NOTE 2: This Oct the GPS accuracy has improved greatly. I am getting estimated accuracy of plus or minus 4 ft now.

You can order these from Westmarine

Stainless Steel Pedestal Mount Model # 409888 for $22.49

Shakespeare Antenna Extension - 2 FT Galaxy Model # 329724 for $57.99

Also Ram Mounts has a RAM-112U UNPKD RAM MOUNT W/ 1"-14 Threads.

I have all three but am not using the Ram Mount at this time. I used the WestMarine parts on my boat.

With the Humminbird GPS Antenna puck sticking up about 2ft 4" above my boat deck the puck is now above the motor cowing and can clearly see 360 deg around the sky.

Check out www.westmarine.com

LouisR wrote:
billfish

Louis

Moose1am

Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:34 am

I made a plate of Aluminum Angle and Attached the angle to the Tee Top over my center console and mounted the GPS receiver the horizontal leg of the angle and it is up out of the way, 360 unobstructed access to the Satellites and it works great. Mounted the GPS receiver directly to the plate and left the Pipe Stem adaptor in the storage closet in case I ever did find a piece of 1" Aluminum pipe with 14 threads to make a Stem out of!

Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]