2014 899CI HD SI and mounting on SST transom Crestliner

General Discussion
GeorgeJr

2014 899CI HD SI and mounting on SST transom Crestliner

Post by GeorgeJr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:46 am

New boat/Electronics major upgrade from a Humminbird LCR 4 ID fish finder.
2014 Crestliner Sportfish 1850 SST Transom (Space saving Transom) on order. Anyone know the best location to mount the ducer?
In the bow I will have a Terrova 80/us2/i-pilot link using the link feather to the fish finder.
Deciding for $300 is the 899 SI Humminbird worth the extra over the 859 DI (Both the 2014 Humminbird units).

Figured of any group you guys could sell me on the feature right? Tend to buy and keep so this would be a long term purchase and wish they had SI add on to help those in my boat but that isn't the case.

I have a friend that has tried his 998 SI out a few times and stated he would save the money if done again and stick with only a DI. Now he did say he is a bit overwhelmed with it and didn't go out and just play with the unit like was suggested. This is my only contact with someone who has almost the exact set-up I am looking at. I have limited time to decide so need to pull the buy on one or the other in the next week or so.

I fish Bass, Northern, Musky and would like to start catching walleyes. Live in WI I have 2 young boys and I work in IT (not afraid of change). I will not be fishing every week and if we go out 20 time a year fishing will be tops. Both my young boys toss lures (even my 4 yr old) so looking to help them be more productive but they are patient.

We live near Lake Winnebago and fish small lakes while camping or our yearly trip up north. Water depth is often under 15 ft deep. What width of views can I expect in 8 - 15 ft water on SI?
The extended transom on the SST steps up from the bottom and moves the motor back would this allow me to mount the transducer near the bottom of the main boat transom (not on the extended section).

Wayne P.

Re: 2014 899CI HD SI and mounting on SST transom Crestliner

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:30 pm

The Side Imaging transducer has to be attached to the transom so it can "see" left and right from the water's surface to directly below it on both sides.

If you want to use the included transducer for on-plane depth readings, then it has to be a little below the bottom of the hull-just like any other transducer.

The Side Imaging function has a range setting up to 360' on each side---720' total.

I use Side Imaging about 95% of the time at the console and bow. It shows me what is under the boat and what is to the left and right as far as I have the SI range setting.

SI is a lot more useful than regular sonar in shallow depths since it shows what is away from under the boat. You just have to take the time to learn how it works and what it is showing.

This image shows a SI range setting of 50' and there is less than 2' of water under the transducer.
There is a creek channel on the right that I was following without being above it so I wouldn't scare any fish that may have been in it. There was and I caught them.
Attachments
ReallyShallow.jpg
ReallyShallow.jpg (94.46 KiB) Viewed 7187 times
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Post a picture of your transom and I can suggest an installation that should work with your hull.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

GeorgeJr

Post by GeorgeJr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:49 pm

SST Transom because I don't have the boat I can't offer any pics. It has a stepped bottom so the normal transom still has livewell, plug for the boat then above that is the start of the extended transom in a modified V extending out. So room to mount the transducer exists on the "reg" transom but due to the motor being set back 7-12 inch (total boat is 12 inch longer) I suspect I can mount closer to the bottom and avoid the carpet bunks of the trailer. I see a dealer south of me has one in stock as a demo so I will see if I can swing down and look at it and snap some pics. I'll check when delivery is expected on mine as well as it is about a hr away.

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Take the pictures at a level low enough to see the transom offset and hull drain.
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

GeorgeJr

Post by GeorgeJr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:38 pm

Attached is a pic of the extended transom. Boat is now in, but due to farming and current Ice in WI I'm having them get others boats ready and should be rigged 1st week of May. Attached is a pic of the transom. The SST version has this extended transom. I'm going to attach the right side next as it has a swim ladder so more main transom is available for mounting as the Left extended transom has room for a Kicker. The angle of the extended transom does have a slight upward angle as you can kinda see from the pic.

I have a high speed and a SI transducer (I'm assuming I will need a High Speed one).

Extended transom is 1 ft in length.
Attachments
2014-03-14 16.50.57.jpg
Rt side with more main transom due to swim platform.
2014-03-14 16.50.57.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 5650 times
2014-03-14 16.51.10.jpg
2014-03-14 16.51.10.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 5650 times

GeorgeJr

Post by GeorgeJr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:43 pm

I did purchase a 2014 899 SI unit. I also purchased the high speed ducer, Y cable to connect both ducers.

Went over the top for me to have the boat act like our tractors so MK Terrova with I-pilot with Link so handsfree fishing should be in reach and my father can no longer say he was positioning the boat so I could out fish him. ;-)

Wayne P.

Post by Wayne P. » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:59 am

Message sent with suggested transducer positions
Wayne Purdum
Charlottesville, Va.

Spartenos

Post by Spartenos » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:39 am

I know this is an old post, but I have searched and searched the internet with no luck. I have the exact same transom and the place where the transducer was mounted (underneath, on the deeper part of the hull, bur RIGHT next to one of the "strakes" i think they are called - results in my transducer not working well at all. I was hoping that someone might see this and be able to make the same recommendation to me on where to mount the transducer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to post suggestions here instead of sending a PM so that others might see it and benefit in the future.

I edited one of the photos and drew an arrow pointing roughly where mine was mounted by the boat shop...
2014-03-14 16.50.57_LI.jpg
Transducer Location
2014-03-14 16.50.57_LI.jpg (3.43 MiB) Viewed 2148 times
Thanks!