View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Error writing to SD card when recording sonar - please help 

I own a 987C2 running the latest firmware (3.050 I think) - I have a problem when I try to create sonar recordings from the snapshot view on the unit. It records for a while (5 mins ?), then stopped with the error message "Error writing to SD/MMC card : Recording stopped". From that point forward, every time I try to record, it starts recording and 3 to 4 seconds later, I get the same message. Its strange, because the snapshot facility still works fine - its just the recording which does not (and that is the bit I really want). I am using a Transcend 4G SD card (and a Navionics GOLD card in the top slot). I tried formatting the Transcend 4G SD card using the latest Humminbird PC software. The next time I went out, the unit recorded for quite a long time - but after about 10 mins - it stopped with the same error, then the same thing happens - I get the error message after about 3 to 4 seconds of starting the recording. Again, the snapshots and other functionality still seem to work. There is loads of space left on the SD card - so it is not running out of space.

I wondered if anyone has had the same problem - I suspect the SD card - but given that the screenshots still save OK and the card has been used in cameras etc without any problems, I am not sure. Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:14 pm

The Humminbird software cannot format memory cards. You must have been using what was on your computer to do so. That 4GB card is an SDHC cards isn’t it? To properly format it you will have to use some different software to format it properly. I have never used it but someone had posted this link:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/s ... atter.html
Try fully formatting your memory card and test it again.

The last software update for the 987 is the 3.940 version. Make sure this is what you are running.

We also recommend running the SanDisk brand of SD or SDHC memory cards. If you are going to be doing a lot of Sonar Recordings, I would look into getting one of their faster SDHC memory cards like one of the Extreme III’s.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:39 pm
Profile WWW

I use a two gig sd card for pics and recordings and so far so good. Know of any program for MAC that can play or convert the video files?

Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:59 pm

The Humminbird software cannot format memory cards. You must have been using what was on your computer to do so. That 4GB card is an SDHC cards isn’t it? To properly format it you will have to use some different software to format it properly. I have never used it but someone had posted this link:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/s ... atter.html
Try fully formatting your memory card and test it again.

The last software update for the 987 is the 3.940 version. Make sure this is what you are running.

We also recommend running the SanDisk brand of SD or SDHC memory cards. If you are going to be doing a lot of Sonar Recordings, I would look into getting one of their faster SDHC memory cards like one of the Extreme III’s.

Sorry Greg - But I did use the Humminbird software to format the card - Humminbird PC to be exact - it has an option to format the SD card. And I just checked, it is a standard 4G SD card, not an MMC. Also I think I am using firmware version 4.180 (with the PNG screen grab format) - and my Humminbird account is saying that is the lastest one - Could you check that is correct, and do you still think it is a card problem ? Also, if you still advise getting a Sandisk extreme III, will it support the 4G SD and does it make any difference if it is a Sandisk extreme III SD HC ?

Update : Just checked - my 987 is running 4.180 software

Last edited by dizzyfish on Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:52 pm

I use an Extreme 111 8gig card with no snapshot or recording problems

StrikeBack Tackle
Humminbird Dealer
www.strikebacktackle.com.au

Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:32 pm
Profile WWW

I finally found the format option in HumminbirdPC. Sorry, I did not know that there was one in there. Unfortunately it looks like it may have formatted your 4GB SDHC as a non-HC SD memory card. I would use the formatter I posted of in my other reply before buying another one to try.

4.180 is the latest software for the 987 units.

Other brands and SDHC card sizes may work in your 987 unit but we know for certain the SandDisk 4GB SDHC Extreme III’s will. For making sonar recordings you want an SD card that has a fast read/write speed and the Extreme III’s are some of the fastest on the market.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:05 pm
Profile WWW

Guys, had a problem too with another brand, just bought a 16 GB sandisk II, for less than 50$ and does a great job recording. no issues at all, just out of the box, no formatting.
reso

for other issues I'd like to get back to the latest pre enhancement firmware, anybody still got that for me? for a 997 international edition.

thanks

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:54 pm

A 16GB SDHC memeory card for less than $50? Wow!

Send me a direct e-mail with your request for the prior software version for the 997 and I can try and e-mail it back to you.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:05 pm
Profile WWW

Will a 32 GB SDHC memory card work?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:55 pm

StrikeBack Tackle
Humminbird Dealer
www.strikebacktackle.com.au

Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:59 pm
Profile WWW

Should... but I don't have a 32Gb to test it with. The unit and the software is designed to take all of the SDHC spec which is 4gb to 32gb.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:36 am

Just Googled 32GB SDHC and saw a bunch of offerings - mostly from what I would consider off-brand companies. I just wanted to warn everyone that not all SD card manufacturers cards will work in our units since they do not follow the recomendations of the SD Card Association. Sandisk does and so we recommend using their brand of memory cards.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am
Profile WWW

Quite big I say!
How long can one record on a 2 GB card? And by the btw: Are the 981s SDHC-capable with the 4.180 software?

Harry

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:09 pm

32 GB SDHC card???
Quite big I say!
How long can one record on a 2 GB card? And by the btw: Are the 981s SDHC-capable with the 4.180 software?

A lot on a 2gb card and Yes...

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:18 pm

Harald, in general estimated 6-7 MB/min, meaning on a 2GB card you can record 4-5 hours.

For me that is ok, but I bought a 16 GB card sandisk ultra II to store all my trolling sessions of one week fishing holidays to the card and transfer it later to my pc and drdepth for bathymetric mapping.

regards,

reso

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next