View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 New Install - Need Help 

I haven't figured out how to record side images yet.....here is a description of my problem:

1) My usable range is about 100ft. I've tested this in water from 5' deep to 50' deep. Beyond 100', the screen becomes very dark and unreadable.
2) The starboard side consistently shows clutter (resembling bait/schools) in the water area near the center of the screen whereas the port side does not.
3) The port side fades to black in half the distance that the starboard side does.
4) The port side is wavy where it fades to black, almost forming a sine wave. This is not due to wave action affecting the boat.
5) I have been on top of plenty of fish and have yet to see the 'boomerang' shape in my sonar view.

The boat is a 2002 Sea Hunt 2323 Triton with a 225 Yamaha 4 Stroke. The transducer is mounted on the starboard side. There is an old plastic throughull transducer approximately 1' forward and 6" to port of the SI Transducer. It protrudes from the hull by 1/8~1/4 inch and is no longer used. The bilge drain plug is bronze with a square fitting.

When the bottom of the boat is level fore to aft, the center line on the transducer very slightly slopes down to aft. One click up and then it slopes noticeably up to aft.

I leveled the boat port to starboard, and the transducer mounting bracket is level. I checked the level of the boat on the water and no change.

There is a fair amount of play in the transducer when snapped in place. The pivot point has a lot of slop. Is this normal? What are the cons to putting the fourth bracket screw in place to remove the play?

Does all of this describe a common problem? In my head the symptoms indicate the transducer is not level and looking to far down on starboard side.....but then this doesn't explain the lack of range?

HELP!!!?????!!!????!?!?!??!?!!?

Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:09 am

A.) Install SD card into unit (unit can be off or on).
B.) Use the VIEW button to change the Views to the Snapshot and Recording View (gray screen with a red border).
C.) Press the MENU button and select “Start Recording”. Than press the EXIT button to remove the menus from the screen.
When you are done recording you should be able to press the MENU button and the “Stop Recording” button should be displayed. Select and use it to stop the recording.

1) Any chance of a screen snapshot showing this? Install an SD card, press the MNU button twice to go to the main tabbed menu system. Use the Right Arrow to move to the Accessories menu tab and set the Screen Snapshot menu to the “On” setting. Than when you press the MARK button the unit will create a waypoint and also an image of what is shown on the display at that time. The image will be saved directly to the SD card.

2) I’m guessing that this has to do with the turbulent water flowing off the right side of the boat’s hull as opposed to what is to the transducer’s left side. It could be that your motor is blocking some of the Si sonar which could also account for this. Does this clutter on the right side go away when the boat is drifting?

3) This sounds like the boat motor (or something else) is blocking some of the left Si sonar. If you squat down beside the left side of your transom at the same level as the Si transducer; can you see the entire left side of the transducer with the motor (and any other transom mounted motors or accessories) in its normal running position? If not, than whatever it is that is blocking your view is also blocking the Si sonar.

4) This may be due to something blocking part of the Si sonar. See above. Does this happen when drifting too or only when underway?

5) What software version are you running in your 797 unit? It needs to be the 4.510 version. If so, set the TVG menu to the “Off” setting. If that does not do it than set the Beam select menu to the 200/83kHz setting. Keep in mind that the boat speed and the Chart Speed menu setting will affect how sonar returns from fish are displayed on the unit. If the boat is moving very slow and/or the Chart Speed is set high than any sonar returns from fish will be stretched out over a wider area of the display and not resemble the boomerang shape that you desire. The opposite: fast boat speed and/or very slow Chart Speed, will display sonar returns from fish as very short boomerangs or possibly just a ‘blip’ (a return only a few pixels wide).

To get smaller fore-aft adjustments of the transducer you have to rotate the black plastic washers with the preformed ‘teeth’ per the installation instructions. The transducer should be fairly firm when the pivot arm part is snapped into the mount base that is screwed to the boat. Make sure there is not a screw head that is preventing this.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:07 am
Profile WWW

After a long winter, I'm finally back on the water. I was able to attach a snapshot that depicts the problems I described previously. Does anyone have insight as to how to correct this?

My software is up to date. There is a clear lines of sight on both sides of the transducer.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Your image still looks like the Si sonar is being blocked by something to both sides – more so on the left as opposed to the right. Can you get a screen snapshot with the boat drifting and the motor off and all the way up in the trailered position?
Any chance that you could test your 797 unit on someone else’s boat that has a Humminbird Si unit? This does not have to be another 797 unit as you should be able to test it using only the power cable and transducer from any Humminbird Si unit.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:06 pm
Profile WWW

Greg,

The attached snapshot shows before and after the motor is trimmed up all while drifting. The wave action on the left dissapears once the motor is raised and the clutter on the right disappears with drifting.

The only problem left is the range. It seems it maxes out at 150ft. Is this to be expected? Also, it looks like the right return is stronger than the left. Any ideas?

Mon May 10, 2010 9:49 pm

The wave action looking returns disappearing after the motor is trimmed all the way up means that the motor was blocking some of the left Si sonar. You will need to either use it with the trimmed all the way up (if this is possible in your boat), relocate the transducer to a position where the motor does not block the sonar, or install a second Si transducer and use the AS-Si-LR-Y cable to connect them to the 797 unit.

As for the clutter on the right side disappearing when drifting: this shows us that the clutter was air bubbles flowing off the hull. Again repositioning your transducer is about the only cure for this. Get it lower in the water if possible or even closer to the right side of the hull (I know, it sounds backwards to move it closer to the air bubbles).

150 feet to the sides in 16 feet of water isn’t that bad. If we can get the above two issues straightened out you may see a little more range but not a lot.

Tue May 11, 2010 11:38 am
Profile WWW

Greg,

I can live with trimming the motor up. The only question I have left is why the right return seems to be stronger than the left return. I say this because the usable range seems to be greater on the right.

I have attached pictures on the install. Some are fuzzy....sorry. I was thinking that maybe the brass drain plug is bouncing back a signal. Would this explain the solid line that you can see in the screen shots just left of center? If so, could this cause the rest of the signal to be diminished resulting in less range on the left side?

I can live with the current results....but I would liek to perfect it if possible.

Wed May 12, 2010 12:27 pm

I could not tell if the drain plug sticks out far enough to cause this loss of left Si sonar or not. Is it possible to screw this plug in from the inside to test to see if there is a change or not? Anything blocking part of the left Si sonar cab cause it to not scan out as far as it should. If it is what is blocking the left Si than it should go away when the drain plug is removed.

Try setting the Si Range to 20 feet and try drifting with the motor all the way up to see of the line to the left side disappears or not.

Wed May 12, 2010 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

Do you use yours in saltwater? I have a 20' Proline, and my location of the transducer is pretty much the same as yours. I always get less return on my left compared to my right. I dont know what it is. I have some pics on "check out my saltwater pics" maybe we can compare.

manny

Thu May 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks Greg. I will try the drain plug from the inside and see what happens.

I've attached another screen shot. This one shows equal return at greater depths. Does this provide any additional clues?

Thu May 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Without the Si Range menu set to a wider area you cannot see how far the Si beams go to each side. If the upper part of the Si beam is blocked the unit will still be able to show the bottom outwards to a certain point equally as well as an unblocked Si beam. With the Si Range set wider we should see where there is a difference.

Thu May 13, 2010 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]